Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How to clean tan leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
canberk is infamous around these parts
How to clean tan leather?

Hi guys,

My sand beige leather seats are getting darker every day as we sit on it. I don't understand the reason but I need to do something before it gets worse. Porsche leather conditioner is not cleaning just smoothening the leather. Please help. Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by canberk
Hi guys,

My sand beige leather seats are getting darker every day as we sit on it. I don't understand the reason but I need to do something before it gets worse. Porsche leather conditioner is not cleaning just smoothening the leather. Please help. Thanks
Simple...your leather gets a buikdup of your body oils and transfer from clothe dye. You need to CLEAN first and then CONDITION. I recommend using Autoglym Interior Cleaner because it's an excellent multi-purpose cleaner that will SAFELY clean all carpets, vinyl, alcantara, leather, etc. Then condition using zymol Treat or einszett Leather Conditioner. It'll give a soft satin look and no chemical smells from either one. Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM
EMart is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by canberk
Hi guys,

Autoglym + Treat ... just like Moe says. I'm very happy with the combo.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
If i may ask is this standard protected leather or an upgraded Porsche leather? That makes a significant difference in how i would recommend you clean it. If the leather is standard it is a protected leather. With that i would recommend either moe's method or the leather masters system. If it is an upgraded leather. it very well may be aniline dyed, meaning there is no protective coating. Because of that I STRONGLY recommend sticking with the leather masters system.

Strong cleaner. (dilute 1:3 cleaner/distilled water)<that dilution makes soft cleaner>
Leather vital
Leather protection cream.

The procedure is to vacuum the seats, remove all loose debris, pick off all dried matter as best you can.

apply the strong cleaner to the sponge of boars hair furniture brush.

Work/agitate into a lather.

Apply cleaner to a 18"x18" area, agitate and or brush in slightly. This is not a scrubbing action but simply to ensure the cleaner is all over the leather.

Let sit for 20-30 seconds.

Wipe off excess with clean microfiber.

Repeat process on next 18"x18" area.

After all leather is done you will want to wait till the leather is fully dried. This is important. Leather is damaged by excess moisture, it dries out rapidly. think of a wet pair of leather gloves (ala oj) they dry out, shrink and become brittle. Leather masters is a low moisture method of cleaning. Specifically designed to work with aniline dyed and protected leathers.

After the leather is dry, Depending on where you live, temp, humidity 20 min - 1 hour. Assess if it needs to be cleaned again. I generally clean it two times for good measure.

Wait for it to dry again, Often i will use a air mover or a blow dryer on low warm air held 2 feet or more away from the leather.

After leather is dry, you can generally move onto Leather vital. This is the main conditioner. For a 4 door extended leather (doors, dash, seat fronts and backs) vehicle you might use 1 oz on two applications of vital. A normal car would be 1/4 oz or so, protected leather even less.

Again you want to wait till it is fully dry. 20 min to 1 hour. This is to ensure it will soak in to the leather and not just goop up on you.

After that i usually do a second leather vital application using 1/3rd the amount i did on the first time. both applications are very very thin layers. Just like wax, less is more.

Wait for it to dry.

Apply leather protection cream. This has uv inhibitors that keep the leather from drying out from to much sun lite. this will generally be 1/2 the amount you used on yoru 2nd coat of leather vital. If there is any excess after 5 min, wipe off with clean micro fiber.

I hope that helps mate.

~Aaron

Old 01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The autoglym and zymol combo works on ALL leather types.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
canberk is infamous around these parts
How can I understand what leather do I have? I've bought a new '08 Cayenne S with sand beige/havanna beige leather interior + soft looking leather option. I guess I have the regular seats with no upgrade, right?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
Then it is a standard protected leather.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Aviator Jim is infamous around these parts
Can anyone suggest a reputable site where I can purchase the Autoglym Interior Shampoo? I have been checking out the online stores run by the forum sponsors, but to no avail. I may just be overlooking the product. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Dan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud of
Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the link Dan. Although, the seller is a bit far away. Would you happen to know of a seller within the contingent United States? Time always seems to go slow for me whenever I'm waiting on a package, and that order would likely cause a rip in the time-space continuum for me, haha.

Update: I found a place that sells the product. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Aviator Jim; 02-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Aviator Jim
Thanks for the link Dan. Although, the seller is a bit far away. Would you happen to know of a seller within the contingent United States? Time always seems to go slow for me whenever I'm waiting on a package, and that order would likely cause a rip in the time-space continuum for me, haha.

Update: I found a place that sells the product. Thanks again for the help!
Send me a PM; I have it in stock.

Thanks,
Moe

Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi Moe,

Unfortunately I just placed my order for it about an hour ago. I tried to send you a PM prior to posting a reply on this thread, but was told that I must have at least 15 posts before I can send PM's. Maybe the administrators of the forum can make some modifications so there is no minimum post requirement to send PM's to forum sponsors.
Now that I know you sell this product though, I'll be sure to contact you when it's time to order more.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Aviator Jim
Hi Moe,

Unfortunately I just placed my order for it about an hour ago. I tried to send you a PM prior to posting a reply on this thread, but was told that I must have at least 15 posts before I can send PM's. Maybe the administrators of the forum can make some modifications so there is no minimum post requirement to send PM's to forum sponsors.
Now that I know you sell this product though, I'll be sure to contact you when it's time to order more.

Thanks
Cool, thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Premium Sponsor
So, what's the update Jim? Did you use the Autoglym and clean the leather? Hope you took before/after pictures. Look forward to seeing them.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to apply any of the products yet since the past few days have been so busy, but I'm hoping to have some free time tomorrow. This sort of works out since I didn't think about taking before and after pictures until you mentioned it.

I tried some of the autoglym shampoo on a stain spotted in my neighbor's floormat. It appeared that a while back some cola must have spilt on the mat, leaving a hard dark stain. The autoglym shampoo removed most of the stain (I could see much of the stain being transferred to the cloth I was using). Unfortunately, some of the stain is still there, but it is much better than it used to be.

I'll be sure to take some pictures and post them up as I try out the new goodies (hopefully tomorrow).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to clean tan leather?