Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing products - do you wear a mask?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:13 AM
cellg8 is infamous around these parts
Detailing products - do you wear a mask?

I tried to detail on my own the first time... man, I almost died just inhaling all the detail spray, polish and wax... why does the manufacturer have to add all these smells to their products? I seriously rather they don't do that at all... I wonder if it'll cause a pro detailer lung damange in a long run?

So my question is, are all products like that? Do you wear a mask or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks.

John

Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
couple of things,

Spray into a rag when ever possible. you will use 1/10th the product then.

change the nozzle to a light mist instead of a super fine mist.

Keep the area well ventilated. open your garage door often.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cellg8
I tried to detail on my own the first time... man, I almost died just inhaling all the detail spray, polish and wax... why does the manufacturer have to add all these smells to their products? I seriously rather they don't do that at all... I wonder if it'll cause a pro detailer lung damange in a long run?

So my question is, are all products like that? Do you wear a mask or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks.

John
John, this is why I'm such a huge fan of zymol. Not a single product they make is hazerdous to your health. They accomplish this by using all-natural ingredients in everything. What products were you using? I use a few products that are synthetic and sometimes do get a headache, but for the most part, I use zymol and have been happy for over a decade.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Grouse
couple of things,

Spray into a rag when ever possible. you will use 1/10th the product then.

change the nozzle to a light mist instead of a super fine mist.

Keep the area well ventilated. open your garage door often.
Good tips

Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
cellg8 is infamous around these parts
Thank you for the replies, gentlemen! Yeah..I had my garage closed. Next time should try it open, thanks...

John

Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
detailwerkz.com is infamous around these parts
Zaino is the same way, It has nothing harmful in it. It has a scent but nothing that will make you choke as you apply the product. I use a mask when I do paint correction as the compound dust will make you gag.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
Red face Mask

You would think after how long I have been in the game that using a mask would be standard operating proceedure for me, but yesterday I was doing off the car wheel cleaning without washing and using heavy solvent to remove all the crap and tape weight residue. The headache that I developed was unbelievable!! memo to self ALWAYS protect yourself. The price for being lazy and not getting replacement paper masks ( doh ).

Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by auto concierge
You would think after how long I have been in the game that using a mask would be standard operating proceedure for me, but yesterday I was doing off the car wheel cleaning without washing and using heavy solvent to remove all the crap and tape weight residue. The headache that I developed was unbelievable!! memo to self ALWAYS protect yourself. The price for being lazy and not getting replacement paper masks ( doh ).
That's why all the prep work I do outside. And always stand upwind. As far as buffing, I too should wear a mask; especially when using a wool pad. Every time I don't, I feel like I have a mild case of asthma.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Premium Sponsor
It's funny this topic is coming up...I was thinking about it the other day. During the polishing or compounding stage, we probably should be wearing some sort of protection when ding this daily.