Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Help please for White 997TT Products/Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Help please for White 997TT Products/Care

Next month my new white 997TT will be here and I thought I would get new products for its care. I used Griot for my last car, but have been reading lots of thread about other products. Could you guys list for me the best products (AND WHERE TO ORDER THESE) for a white Car for weekly washes, wheel/tires, brushes, etc.. I will have it professionally polished/waxed every 4 months, but like to keep it spotless in between. Also need suggestions for interior products. thanks so much.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gretapass
Next month my new white 997TT will be here and I thought I would get new products for its care. I used Griot for my last car, but have been reading lots of thread about other products. Could you guys list for me the best products (AND WHERE TO ORDER THESE) for a white Car for weekly washes, wheel/tires, brushes, etc.. I will have it professionally polished/waxed every 4 months, but like to keep it spotless in between. Also need suggestions for interior products. thanks so much.
There are many great products out there. There really isn't a single company out there that makes the "best" of everything. My philosophy on car care is to use the least aggressive product that will safely get the job done while keeping the environment in perspective. I'm not sure what you detailing expertise is, but seeing you've been using Griot's, I assume you have some skill and are probably more experienced than the average joe on the street. I would keep things simple and here are my suggestions on some areas:

Wheel Cleaner: P21S Wheel Cleaner or Zymol Wheel Cleaner
Wheel Brush: Zymol Wheel Brush (it's a natural horse hair bristle) and EZ-Detail Brush to get inside the wheels
Soap: P21S Bodywork Shampoo, Zymol Clear, einszett Perls
Wash Mitt: 100% Natural sheepskin wash mitt
Drying Cloth: Don't use a chamois; it's old technology. You can either use a microfiber waffle weave drying cloth w/ a foam core or you can use a forced air dryer like an Airmax. The advantage of using the Airmax is you're not touching the paint which helps minimize microswirls or scratches caused by drying.
Detail Spray: Zymol Field Glaze. einszett Detail Spray
Tire Conditioner: Meguiar's Detailer Line All-Season Dressing or zymol Tyre
Wheel Wax: Zymol Wheel Coat or RejEx
Glass Cleaner: Stoner's Invisible Glass or Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner
Interior Detail Spray: einszett Cockpit Premium
Interior Cleaner: Autoglym Interior Shampoo/Cleaner
Microfiber towels: Buy the best one you can afford. IMHO, anything below $3 is not great on paint, and above $7 is pretty much hype. The yellow ones from costco are great for grunt work but shouldn't be used on paint.
De-Inized Water Filtration System: This is the foundation of washing the car. Most people cannot stand washing their cars because of water spots. A DI filtration system takes all the impurities out of the water and gives you 100% Spot Free water. If you're lazy, you can simply wash your car and rinse w/ DI water and let it air dry. The glass, paint, wheels, etc. will dry spot free and you didn't have to do a thing.

Here's a link to the current group buy on the CR Spotless:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=121525

I have a vested interest in some of the products mentioned about: zymol, einszett, Autoglym, EZ Detail, and CR Spotless. But other products I mentioned were recommend even though I don't sell the product because I feel the product is great as well. Hope this steers you in the right direction.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned
ToddHelme is infamous around these parts
I would like to add a couple things to Moe's post. While I may disagree with some of his product selections, that fact is the attention to detail and correct technique/process is far more important than product selection.
Some products are easier to use correctly (and get maximum results from) then the high end brands and may yield better results from a novice.

Given your color (white) and expectations, you might want to consider a synthetic sealant instead of wax. In general sealants give a glossier more reflective appearance, which I feel is important since white absorbs the most color and reflects little.

Some of the best sealants on the market are Jeff Werkstatt and Zaino, but both have a learning curve. On the easier end of the spectrum is something like Meguiars #21, which assuming you have clayed the paint, is an easy to apply sealant with moderate defect masking and good durablity.

Also, older solvent based carnuaba waxes such as Meguiars #16 and Collonite #845 tend to be very reflective, and thus increase the appearance of white more.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Sealant or Not?

that is very interesting that you mention a sealant. I have been considering that also at the suggestion of my friend, Jason (atomic80). We have a company here who is doing professional applications of a new product called Matrix. Does anyone have any feedback on this particular product. It has a lifetime guarantee.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Moe, what wheel cleaner and glass cleaner are your favorites? Do you suggest one for interior windows to get rid of that film that gets on them that won't streak?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gretapass
Moe, what wheel cleaner and glass cleaner are your favorites? Do you suggest one for interior windows to get rid of that film that gets on them that won't streak?
The glass cleaner of choice for me is Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner and I use Zymol Wheel Cleaner on all my details. Both products have been in use for over 5 years so far, zymol about 10 years.