Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best microfiber detergent anybody?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
Best microfiber detergent anybody?

i'd like to get one to bring a few of my old MF towels back to life (i downgraded them to wheels and other "bad" tasks, but still want to try and get them looking clean)

also, should i soak the MF towels first? i usually wash them in cold/warm water and hang them to dry.

thanks.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
I thought using regular clothing detergents are fine?

I use Oxi-clean to get the stains out the towels. They come out pretty good.

I usually throw them in the washing machine, if you have pre-wash setting for Oxy-wash, use that setting with normal cotton wash with regular detergent and it comes out clean.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:45 PM
jkb
jkb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Linko4
I thought using regular clothing detergents are fine?

I use Oxi-clean to get the stains out the towels. They come out pretty good.

I usually throw them in the washing machine, if you have pre-wash setting for Oxy-wash, use that setting with normal cotton wash with regular detergent and it comes out clean.
i do use oxyclean and usually it is pretty good, but this time i got a lot of road tar on my towels and they smell like gasoline too after some M3 adhesive remover work they did...

Old 03-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Well Micro-fiber towels are cheap at Costco... once their too ugly to use... throw them and grab new ones.... hahaah

Old 03-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Woolite is supposed to work very well. Then put in a dryer, but make sure you don't use any fabric softener. This will bring back some of the static. We just have ours laundered through our laundry company, but I'm sure that's all they use.

John

Old 03-22-2008, 04:15 PM
24 Hour is infamous around these parts
Buy new ones and keep old for wheels or engine bay etc.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
When you're spending upwards of $3-4 per towel, which you shold be when it comes to the ones used on your finish, you need to use a microfiber detergent that cleans the towel and is gentle to make the towels last longer. The only detergent I know of hat works well is MicroRestore. I have them in stock in 1 quart sizes if anyone is interested. Please PM me.

As for the Costco towels, use them on wheels, cleaning the interior, etc. It's a low-mid grade towel that will scratch the finish. Microfibers are not all created equal and the quality varies greatly depending on whom you buy it from.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 03-23-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Well said Mo.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by detailjohn
Well said Mo.
Thanks John. I cannot tell you how many clients I've seen using the yellow towels from costco and they tell me "it's microfiber, I thought it's suppose to be the best towel to use". Once I give them the recap on microfiber, they're now empowered to make their own decision. The costco towels are great and you cannot beat the price. But they're too harsh and the edges will scratch the finish. So, I say to the client, ”you can save a few dollars or pay hundreds to have a me remove the swirls and scratches”. The choice then becomes very simple.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Thanks John. I cannot tell you how many clients I've seen using the yellow towels from costco and they tell me "it's microfiber, I thought it's suppose to be the best towel to use". Once I give them the recap on microfiber, they're now empowered to make their own decision. The costco towels are great and you cannot beat the price. But they're too harsh and the edges will scratch the finish. So, I say to the client, ”you can save a few dollars or pay hundreds to have a me remove the swirls and scratches”. The choice then becomes very simple.
Great info Moe and I look forward to meeting you tomorrow and seeing the new car/PDI on the Lexus LS460.

I run my business under many of the same principals that are often times globally applicable, the last of the following exclusive to my business:

1. Knowledge is power
2. There is no substitute for experience
3. There is a difference between having insurance and being insured

Blane

Old 03-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by INSman
Great info Moe and I look forward to meeting you tomorrow and seeing the new car/PDI on the Lexus LS460.

I run my business under many of the same principals that are often times globally applicable, the last of the following exclusive to my business:

1. Knowledge is power
2. There is no substitute for experience
3. There is a difference between having insurance and being insured

Blane
Well said Blane. See you tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
MICRORESTORE!!! The only way to go! Buy the gallon, & it will last you a long time! The towels comes out super clean, free of any crap, & are soft.

While Costo towels are cheap, they are not the best for paint finishing! I'll use them every where else.

Oxyclean is a power & has chlorine in it. Not good for MF towels.

Moe, does Zymol still make the blue MF towels with the rubber type stuff in them? Short pile, really the only way to remove Estate Glazes? I need a couple of new ones.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
My new wonderful washer only works with the HE (High Efficiency) detergents, and I am guessing the MF Restorer is not of the kind ?!?

Last edited by INSman; 03-25-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Zaks is infamous around these partsZaks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
When you're spending upwards of $3-4 per towel, which you shold be when it comes to the ones used on your finish, you need to use a microfiber detergent that cleans the towel and is gentle to make the towels last longer. The only detergent I know of hat works well is MicroRestore. I have them in stock in 1 quart sizes if anyone is interested. Please PM me.

As for the Costco towels, use them on wheels, cleaning the interior, etc. It's a low-mid grade towel that will scratch the finish. Microfibers are not all created equal and the quality varies greatly depending on whom you buy it from.
Moe, most of my towels are actually Costco towels and towels from local carstores (Autozone, Murray's, etc.). I started using these because over the years I've come to notice the only difference between the $0.50 m/f towels and the $4+ ones is durability... the 7-8 pakshak towels I bought about 3 years ago still look almost new, while the cheaper ones start fading and getting hard after a few months of detailing, which is when they become interior towels, etc.
Just saying that for me personally, while the more expensive towels do have a higher number of fibers and are maybe a bit softer, the cheaper towels get the job done without sacrificing any quality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.