Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

I feel like an idiot, Burnt my headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
I feel like an idiot, Burnt my headlight

Welll... I was polishing my headlight with an orange pad and SIP, I didn't realize the very corner of the pad was dry, I put a burn in the light, Is there any hope or do I need to start sourcing a new Passenger side headlight?

I tried going at it with the SIP then 106FF, it made it look better, but nowhere near gone.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
take a picture, but you might be in for a new lamp

Old 05-24-2008, 10:23 PM
JoshVette is infamous around these parts
I assume you were using a PC?? I can't imagine using an orange pad with a rotary??

If you want quality advise, I would seriously post up some good pics, otherwise we have no real way to know what to tell you.

Could be not burnt at all, but the polish just fried to the surface which can be rubbed off.

Josh

Old 05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
I'll try to post up some pics tomorrow, it's definitely burnt, I took it from about 2.5" wide to 1.25" wide with the sip and 106ff, if you look closely there are small cracks in the plastic where it occurred.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Were you using an orbital or rotary buffer??

Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
I'll try to post up some pics tomorrow, it's definitely burnt, I took it from about 2.5" wide to 1.25" wide with the sip and 106ff, if you look closely there are small cracks in the plastic where it occurred.

Cracks in the plastic from burning???? That sounds strange, wouldn't it be more likely to melt or scuff??

Also, I don't understand what you're talking about when you say "I took it from about 2.5 wide to 1.25 wide with the sip"???

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help.

Josh

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Need more info.....

What machine you used?
Pictures...

Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I was using a mikita rotary at around 2500 rpm...

In reference to the size of it, I was able to make it smaller by buffing it with the SIP to a certain extent, the center of the mark appears to be deeper than the sides, pics to come.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
I was using a mikita rotary at around 2500 rpm...

In reference to the size of it, I was able to make it smaller by buffing it with the SIP to a certain extent, the center of the mark appears to be deeper than the sides, pics to come.
YIKES!!!! A rotary at 2500...that's way too much. But the question I have is who recommended you using one? I'm sorry, but I've always preached DIY detailers keeping things in perspective and doing things within a comfort level. I can understand DIY detailers wanting to achieve results that are close to a professional, but there are times where the risk outweighs the rewards. I'm sorry to hear about the light, the most I've ever used the rotary is around 1500. The sweet spot is between 1200-1700 rpms but that's called the Danger Zone for a reason. I think whomever sold you this rotary should be partially responsible. If you were spinning that high then you probably did permanent damage and would have to replace a headlight. My 2 cents.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
YIKES!!!! A rotary at 2500...that's way too much. But the question I have is who recommended you using one? I'm sorry, but I've always preached DIY detailers keeping things in perspective and doing things within a comfort level. I can understand DIY detailers wanting to achieve results that are close to a professional, but there are times where the risk outweighs the rewards. I'm sorry to hear about the light, the most I've ever used the rotary is around 1500. The sweet spot is between 1200-1700 rpms but that's called the Danger Zone for a reason. I think whomever sold you this rotary should be partially responsible. If you were spinning that high then you probably did permanent damage and would have to replace a headlight. My 2 cents.
Thanks, No one to blame but myself to be honest. I'll post some pics later, it's not too bad, it's just a bit bothersome.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:08 PM
J_Edwards is infamous around these partsJ_Edwards is infamous around these parts
If the burn marks are on the surface there is a possibility that they could be sanded out. Still though, that is a major IF.

Like Moe said, 2500 is WAY too fast. There are times that I push around 1800, but that is only in very specific situations, and never for an extended duration. Remember that RPM and Heat have a direct correlation, and when you are working with a very small working space like a headlight you can't push those temperatures. If you were working with a very large area like a quarter of a hood or half of a door, then maybe you can push the temps a little bit as you are allowing the surface to cool by having a large working area, but definitely not with an area such as a headlight.

Pics will definitely help everyone to diagnose your issue though.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow a rotary at 2500rpms with an orange cutting pad.....

That is way to much for any paint let alone headlights.

On the toughest of swirls I rarely take it beyond 1700rpms.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
WOW< as said 2500 is WAY way to high. Most of the time mine is around 800-1500 max. To my knowledge none of the current polishes/compounds are rated for 2500rpm's.

Yea, changes are you totally melted the headlamp, you might be able to get a lens kit & clean it up a bit, but if you want it perfect, you will need a new headlight.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:55 PM
ahhh, I'm wrong about the RPM too... It was set between 2 and 3 on the makita, it goes up to 6 i believe and that is 3000rpm at 6. sooo... i guess it was more like 1200...

and, a couple high res. pics...

Last edited by Chris_FL; 05-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, you are correct, that is burnt lenses. I've heard of some wetsanding and polishing them out, but I've never done it but worth looking into if you do not want to replace them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I feel like an idiot, Burnt my headlight