Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Multiple Menzerna FJM coats, worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM
MidnighTT is infamous around these parts
Multiple Menzerna FJM coats, worth the effort?

After doing the whole wash, dry, mask, polish, FMJ sequence, I started wondering if a second coat of FMJ would add any useful protection. It takes me longer to mask the car than to apply FMJ, so once I have it clean and masked, I want to make the best use of my preparation efforts.

So, does a second coat of FMJ just dissolve the first coat, leaving essentially one coat-worth of material thickness?

Or does the second coat result in added material thickness, and (hopefully) increased protection from birds, sap, and etc?

Or does the second coat add material thickness, but that added material doesn't provide any more protection than a single coat?

Jeff

Old 05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Yes, you can layer the coats, but it is recommended to wait about 12 hours or so between applications.

John

Old 05-25-2008, 02:31 PM
MasterDetailing is infamous around these parts
You can......... Anytime I layer up on anything I like to wait atleast 24hrs. On my personal vehicle I like to wait about a week b4 I layer. Ofcourse it stays inside and I don't drive it. It depends if you don't mind driving it for a few days

Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Yes; I'd wait a week, wash again, and then layer. 3 layers should be plenty.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
I've layered FMJ, & never really noticed much of any real difference, it also doesn't seam to make it last any longer.