Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

2008 Lexus LS460 New Car Prep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
2008 Lexus LS460 New Car Prep

Here’s another elaboration of the New-Car Detail that we do. In this segment, we’ll talk about why it’s so important to do this detail, the procedure of the detail, and what to do post detail.

The New-Car Detail was originally incepted when I started to get some current clients that bought new cars and had me come to their home to do the detail. It was apparent, somewhere along the line, the paint on the new cars I was getting should not have had swirls, scratches, and hologramming. Once we backtracked a bit, I realized this was being done when the dealers prepped the cars prior to the client taking delivery. My assumption was confirmed after watching cars being prepped at various dealerships here locally.

Most dealerships need and want to get the “unit” out the door. I say unit, because no matter how much you’ve spent on this new car, it’s a unit in the eye of the dealer. To us enthusiasts, it’s a “car” and at this level, it should be treated with some dignity. Often times, a car arrives at the dealer, it’s stripped of all plastic and protective films, washed by the porter, and waxed using hand or machine to shine it up for the client. Most people don’t ever notice the small detail such as paint swirls, scratches, and imperfections in the paint because of the emotional high of finally getting the car you been waiting for. The client just wants to sign the papers, shake the salesman’s hand, and drive. It’s only the weekend when it comes time to wash the car, the way the sun shines on the hood when coming out of the office one afternoon, or when a obsessive compulsive detailer points out these flaws, that you realize the extent of the damage done to your car’s paint from one wash alone at the dealer.

I decided to offer a service that would keep the car in pristine condition, just as it left the factory, until you take delivery. This service would step in right after the car had been delivered and the dealer did their technical pre-delivery inspection, PDI. New-Car Detail would have us be the first to take all the plastic off the seats, remove stickers from windows, remove plastic wrap from the paint, etc. Your car would be cared for in a manner that respected this new acquisition, with assurance that YOUR best interest was in mind. After all, you are the one paying for this service, not the dealer.

Below is a New-Car Prep on a 2008 Lexus LS460; it belongs to fellow 6speeder INSman. This LS460 was delivered a few days before my arrival. I thank Crown Lexus in Ontario for their hospitality.

Initial Condition

Each dealership has different protocals. I don't always get the car with all the wrapping. In this case, the salesman was kind enough to make sure all the wrapping stayed on.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Protective wrapping is removed from interior and exterior (35 min)

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-11-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Premium Sponsor
New Paint Condition

Wheels, tires, and wheel wells are cleaned (40 min)

Initial rinse, wash, rinse, and dry using Airmax forced air blower (40 min)

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-11-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Premium Sponsor
Paint and glass surfaces are decontaminated using clay (30 min)

The surfaces weren't too bad. Lexus did an excellent job protecting the horizontal surfaces from debris landing and sitting.

After claying. If you notice, the gentle technique has not added any scratches or marring to the paint

Paint is polished using an all-natural pre-wax cleanser and waxed using natural carnauba wax

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-11-2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
Tires, wheels, and wheel well are cleaned and conditioned (30 min)

Up-close look at the wheel wax. It's a simple spray-on and walk-away product. It cures without any spots on most wheels. If chrome or polished wheels, you will see small dots of wax that you have to buff off.

Interior is cleaned and conditioned using all-natural products. This preserves the New-Car scent and exhibits a soft, satin look (150 min)

Glass surfaces are protected with polymer sealant (30 min)

All brightwork is polished by hand using an all-natural metal cleanser (10 min)

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-11-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
Final Results

In recap, some may say this is too much work, a new car doesn’t need this much work, or this is over the top. To these critics, I can only say that there has never been a time in our lifetime that a typical high-end luxury, sport, or exotic car has cost more than a home. Starting on the right foot and maintaining the car’s level of care is just another aspect of ownership. I feel we’re never the true owner of a car. Cars will typically outlive us and be passed down generation to generation. You are the current caretaker of this new Lexus, or a Porsche, Ferrai, Bugatti, Lamorghini, etc. It’s your responsibility to make sure the time, effort, and passion that went into making this car is reflected in how you carry the torch. Properly detailing the car through its life is simply the best investment in assuring you get top-dollar when it come time to sell the car and move on to the next purchase.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-11-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
Thanks again Moe, the car still looks great after about 4 months and 4k miles. The "depth" in the paint is really what gets me with the Zymol you used...

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Now that's how a "new" car is supposed to be prepped. I can't even remember the last time I saw a new car that actually looked new (I think it was my personal car which I insisted that the dealer not prep. it in any way including putting the inspection sticker on the windshield).

I hope this thread educates car owners not to let the dealer do their "free" prep.

Matt

Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Smoke7 is infamous around these partsSmoke7 is infamous around these parts
I think the LS460 is such a classy car. Not to often is a new cars paint in that pristine condition. Looks Good.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
J_Edwards is infamous around these partsJ_Edwards is infamous around these parts
Turned out really well Moe. I remember saying just the other day that having a client say a car looks "like new" is actually almost an insult now. I will just keep this new car in mind from now on I guess when I hear that.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Great work Moe. That service is worth every penny for a consumer.

John

Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Since new cars that are well protected are in good shape, this is mostly protectants for interior and exterior. Nice job!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by detailjohn
Great work Moe. That service is worth every penny for a consumer.

John
Thanks John. I think the client appreciates the work and the value in it as well. That's a win-win for everyone.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by djantlive
Since new cars that are well protected are in good shape, this is mostly protectants for interior and exterior. Nice job!
Thanks for the compliment. Cars that start out on the right foot always look better and that translates to a more enjoyable ownership experience. Once the foundation is laid, upkeep is very simple. This all translates to higher resale value from an economic perspective.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Moe:

Another great job! Thanks for sharing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus LS460 New Car Prep