Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

6speed Detailing Forum Evolution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
6speed Detailing Forum Evolution

As all of you know by now, I'm quite passionate about this detailing board to say the least My reasoning isn't for money, fame, or ego. I cannot lie and say I'm doing it for a hobby either. Truth is, it's a potpourri of facets. There is obviously an element of sharing my passion, with that comes a little fame, and with that comes the money. But as most of you know, and my 2000+ posts can vouch for, the common theme for me is to share my knowledge and get the enthusiasts excited about detailing their cars and get the detailers that want to be better some inspiration and knowledge. Everyday I'm inspired by other detailers and know what we all are going through. I bet, if we put all of us in a room, we would get along just fine and would talk each other's heads off about products, cars we cannot believe we've touched, cars that we wished we never even touched, how many late nights that stemmed from "I'll be done in a few hours honey, promise"; next thing you know it's been 5 hours and you realize you still need another day to finish the detail. I can go on and on.

I want this board to be one of the best industry detailing site for both detailers and DIYers. My thought, let's get the community involved and build a structure and etiquette to follow here.

I want feedback from members, DIY detailers, professional detailers, everyone who is bitten by the detailing bug. Let's find a common ground and focus more on positive things. Most of the members here are already established and we all know each other. So let's come up with guidelines for all of us to follow, all of us to abide by, and all of us to moniter.

What should we structure:

1. We need a clear definition and purpose of what 6speed Detailing Forum is about. Why should someone come here when there's autopia, detailing world, autogeek, etc. Those are all great sites and have lots of valuable content. But we need this forum to be its own unique image and vibe.

Solution:

6speed Detailing Forum should be about cars, quality products, quality work, and quality advice. It should be a place where a member should feel comfortable reading and learning, if inclined, purchase products seen here, and be able to share his/her experience with the community. We should encourage a balance of input from both pros and DIYers.

2. As sponsors, we have paid money and have a vested interest in educating and spotlighting our work or products. I don't want to be the only one allowed to post details; I think that's boring. So how can we allow other detailers to show thier work, even if not sponsors, bearing in mind it's a fine line between posting a cool car that's detailed, and getting a PM from a member to detail another car. That's basically getting free advertising.

Solution:

Professional detailers should be recognized on the board publicly. These detailers must also follow a guideline of how to properly post on 6speed. Criteria for posting should address problems faced with the car detailed, how the detailer remedied the problem, step-by-step procedure documentation, products used, product affiliations, etc. We can allow one post per month to showcase a detailer's work and allow him/her to educate and WOW the members with their detail.

3. Everyone uses different products and has his/her preference. But, it doesn't help the average DIYer to read about 10 different tire dressings and still be confused on which one really suits his/her needs.

Solution:

I think a good idea may be to have a panel of detailers across the country that product-test different things and give feedback to the board.

4. How do we raise awareness of this board and make it content rich?

Solution:

To ensure our board is different and dynamic, we should have detailing meets across the country and have members meet the detailers, see the products, and learn hands-on the things they read about. This is good for the detailer because if he/she is well-intentioned and truly wants to educate, he or she will be well-received on the forum and will also be sought after during these events. The members prosper because they can learn and use products that work, techniques that work, and buy the things they hear and read about.WIN-WIN for everyone.

OK. Written enough, gotta go make some $$. Please take this seriously, with a grain of salt, and look to the best interest of all those involved. These are merely my thoughts on paper and I welcome any suggestions, additions, or deletions.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 10-07-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I like your ideas Moe.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by detailjohn
I like your ideas Moe.
Thanks John. We need to turn these ideas into something tangible.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:12 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Great post Moe. I agree 100% and support whatever you want to to make this area of the forum better for our users.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Pats300zx is infamous around these parts
Great ideas Moe !!!!

When's the first meet

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned
Gloss-it is infamous around these parts
Great Ideas! Its funny that you just posted this because I just contacted the board admin. regarding where this detail area is headed. I agree that there are other boards dedicated to professional detailers to promote their business. There are paid sponsors like you, Phil and myself who pay to help educate the DIY and how to produce a great finish and detail!

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 10-07-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
I'll talk to the management here and see if we can't set up a Florida detail meet here. Being a detail hobbyist who is often afraid to tackle the next skill without seeing it done first, I would love to gather up the local talent and give them exposure while learning the ropes myself!

We have a few events coming up, we may be able to get a detailer's corner going on at one of them. Please contact me if you would like to be a part of this, because if I can gather up enough interest I can try to get it going!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned
Gloss-it is infamous around these parts
Gloss-it would be interested in participating. Please keep us informed!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Premium Sponsor
Let's organize the forum rules and regulations first as this seems to be the core of all this. Is all the stuff I put up earlier fair and reasonable to everyone? At the end, we have to moderate this ourself and each member counts. I believe once this groundwork is laid out, the foundation for a solid board will be built.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
As all of you know by now, I'm quite passionate about this detailing board to say the least My reasoning isn't for money, fame, or ego. I cannot lie and say I'm doing it for a hobby either. Truth is, it's a potpourri of facets. There is obviously an element of sharing my passion, with that comes a little fame, and with that comes the money. But as most of you know, and my 2000+ posts can vouch for, the common theme for me is to share my knowledge and get the enthusiasts excited about detailing their cars and get the detailers that want to be better some inspiration and knowledge. Everyday I'm inspired by other detailers and know what we all are going through. I bet, if we put all of us in a room, we would get along just fine and would talk each other's heads off about products, cars we cannot believe we've touched, cars that we wished we never even touched, how many late nights that stemmed from "I'll be done in a few hours honey, promise"; next thing you know it's been 5 hours and you realize you still need another day to finish the detail. I can go on and on.

I want this board to be one of the best industry detailing site for both detailers and DIYers. My thought, let's get the community involved and build a structure and etiquette to follow here.

I want feedback from members, DIY detailers, professional detailers, everyone who is bitten by the detailing bug. Let's find a common ground and focus more on positive things. Most of the members here are already established and we all know each other. So let's come up with guidelines for all of us to follow, all of us to abide by, and all of us to moniter.

What should we structure:

1. We need a clear definition and purpose of what 6speed Detailing Forum is about. Why should someone come here when there's autopia, detailing world, autogeek, etc. Those are all great sites and have lots of valuable content. But we need this forum to be its own unique image and vibe.

Solution:

6speed Detailing Forum should be about cars, quality products, quality work, and quality advice. It should be a place where a member should feel comfortable reading and learning, if inclined, purchase products seen here, and be able to share his/her experience with the community. We should encourage a balance of input from both pros and DIYers.
I would say we keep the focus on helping the owners become quality detailers themselves. Have the sponsors provide the whole car write ups, and the pro detailers provide the tutorials and suppliment question answering

2. As sponsors, we have paid money and have a vested interest in educating and spotlighting our work or products. I don't want to be the only one allowed to post details; I think that's boring. So how can we allow other detailers to show thier work, even if not sponsors, bearing in mind it's a fine line between posting a cool car that's detailed, and getting a PM from a member to detail another car. That's basically getting free advertising.

Solution:

Professional detailers should be recognized on the board publicly. These detailers must also follow a guideline of how to properly post on 6speed. Criteria for posting should address problems faced with the car detailed, how the detailer remedied the problem, step-by-step procedure documentation, products used, product affiliations, etc. We can allow one post per month to showcase a detailer's work and allow him/her to educate and WOW the members with their detail.

I am perfectly fine living with out the self promotional whole car detail threads. I would not mind actually like making and writing tutorials more. I would also stipulate that the professionals, would need to provide buisness lisc, ins info, and 3rd party client reviews for the forum to look into.
3. Everyone uses different products and has his/her preference. But, it doesn't help the average DIYer to read about 10 different tire dressings and still be confused on which one really suits his/her needs.

Solution:

I think a good idea may be to have a panel of detailers across the country that product-test different things and give feedback to the board.

Meh, who pays for it? who ships it, what controls are used? This is a silipery slope. Personally my big issue is the rampant abuses of some of the larger wholesalers handing out products to detailers for reviews. That level of shilling has caused many a good product to suffer undeservedly. I would almost rather leave the reviews and testing to the other sites and stick with the process and techniques. Process and techniques are non product specific (most of the time) and far more informative than any product review.

4. How do we raise awareness of this board and make it content rich?

Solution:

To ensure our board is different and dynamic, we should have detailing meets across the country and have members meet the detailers, see the products, and learn hands-on the things they read about. This is good for the detailer because if he/she is well-intentioned and truly wants to educate, he or she will be well-received on the forum and will also be sought after during these events. The members prosper because they can learn and use products that work, techniques that work, and buy the things they hear and read about.WIN-WIN for everyone.

Detailing meets are always fun. I will note how ever that when you put 10 detailers in a room and ask them how to wash a car. you will get 15 different answers. The detailing meets may not be as helpful for the DIY as you might think. I think a better program would be a detailer/DIY owner aprenticeship. Take a single owner under wing and train him on every aspect of detailing his or her vehicles. Then have that DIY owner review the exp. Yes this is a far more labor intensive, time and cost prohibitive situation for us pro's but it will show commitment to the comunity as a whole. it will also help build a good level of trust between the non advertising pro detailers, and the sponsors.
OK. Written enough, gotta go make some $$. Please take this seriously, with a grain of salt, and look to the best interest of all those involved. These are merely my thoughts on paper and I welcome any suggestions, additions, or deletions.
Replied in the red quotes

Old 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
gt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the rough
+1,
MOE for president
I am in it to win it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 PM
cap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant futurecap'sx51 has a brilliant future
Hey Moe great idea. You truly are a pro with passion and care. Two thumbs up for you.

Do you conduct detailing clinics? How about scheduling some in the LA or OC area? Lecture beginners (even advanced) with hands on exercise later then you can offer some of your detailing kits and products at the end of the session. Just a thought.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by cap'sx51
Hey Moe great idea. You truly are a pro with passion and care. Two thumbs up for you.

Do you conduct detailing clinics? How about scheduling some in the LA or OC area? Lecture beginners (even advanced) with hands on exercise later then you can offer some of your detailing kits and products at the end of the session. Just a thought.
We're actually gong to put one on in about 2 weeks...stay tuned.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
ScheerSpeed is infamous around these parts
i would definetly want to go to a detailing meet in FLA.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
great idea Moe. This site is one of the best detailing resources for me because of you and other great detailers who give the best advice all the time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6speed Detailing Forum Evolution