Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

help reconditioning oxidized/yellow headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 PM
grandpa is infamous around these parts
help reconditioning oxidized/yellow headlights

The polycarbonate headlight lenses of my domestic suv have fogged over from oxidation. This appears to be a more and more prevalent problem with all makes of vehicles that spend a good amount of time outdoors in the sun, especially since almost all vehicle manufacturers use polycarbonate for the headlight covers for lighter weight and easier shaping. What seems to be the best long-term solution for removal of present and prevention of future oxidation?

I am aware of several solutions presented on the internet, chief among them being to wet sand the lenses with progressively finer grit sandpaper (1000, 1500, 2000, etc.) followed by polishing with a rubbing compound and finally the use of a clear coat or uv inhibiting coating. There are also products such as Meguiars PlastX, Novus, Plexus, Diamondite, Wolfgang, and then kits from Permatex, Crystal View, headlightsolution.net, which all seem to be packaged kits containing some abrasives, polishes and a coating/spray. There’s also some product called Pittman’s ALR, which is sold through ebay among other internet sites and claims to be an acrylic lens de-oxidizer.

Do any of these methods/products provide clearing of the yellowed headlight lenses for more than just a few weeks at a time before the lenses rehaze? There was a post in August of 2007 here on 6speed concerning yellowing lights with responses from MoeMistry and lechillo (I don’t know how to post links of previous posts), but other than the wet-sanding technique not too much else was presented. I’d like to find a more long-lasting solution before I just purchase new headlamps.

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
After you have polished out the lenses, have Venture Shield installed, and they will never yellow again.

John

Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
I know SEM (the company that makes spray paints) has come out with a system to repair the headlights which lasts. It also involves wetsanding and then spraying with a coating (without polishing) which is cured by UV light. The coating dries smooth (no orange peel) and lasts. I have not personally used it but my detailing buddy has in Florida on a Escalade and said it really works. I would recommend calling SEM and asking if they have any trained applicators in you area.

Matt

Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 PM
grandpa is infamous around these parts
thanks for the suggestions, john and matt. love the bulldog in your avatar!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by grandpa
thanks for the suggestions, john and matt. love the bulldog in your avatar!
Thank you. That's Angus.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Off topic, but that is an awesome name for a bulldog.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:20 PM
SixSpeed5 is infamous around these parts
I've had good luck with simply wetsanding and polishing plastic lights. Depending on the state of the light I will start with either 1000 or 1500 and then move to 2000 grit. I often use automotive paint polish if I don't want to use a specific plastic polish.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Off topic, but that is an awesome name for a bulldog.
Believe it or not, his actual name on the AKC certificate is "Awesome Angus".