Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Great Leather Smell??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM
leadfoot is infamous around these parts
Great Leather Smell??????

I recently used Lexol to condition my leather seats.Now when I get in my car it really does not have a great smell and this has been a couple of weeks.How can I get rid of that crappy Lexol smell.Should I go over the seats with a soft mico-fiber towel and water or re-apply a different conditioner?I really like to have my car smell nice and this smell is bugging me.All thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by leadfoot
I recently used Lexol to condition my leather seats.Now when I get in my car it really does not have a great smell and this has been a couple of weeks.How can I get rid of that crappy Lexol smell.Should I go over the seats with a soft mico-fiber towel and water or re-apply a different conditioner?I really like to have my car smell nice and this smell is bugging me.All thoughts and advice is appreciated.
Remove the lexol using a safe cleaner like Autoglym Interior Shampoo and then recondition using a natural leather conditioner like Zymol Treat. It has a soft and satin look without any offensive smells.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:59 PM
ScheerSpeed is infamous around these parts
personally i like the smell from Zaino Z10

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Hide Food

Old 10-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Grouse is infamous around these parts
FWIW, in the leather industry leather with that smell is considered undesirable. Tanneries go through many many steps to remove that smell. Leather Is supposed to have a non-odor, or neutral smell. How interiors get that leather smell is often by introduction of scenting oils in the products. They tend to attract dirt, transfer to clothing, and clog stiching if not discolor it over time.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM
SPEED RACER is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Grouse
FWIW, in the leather industry leather with that smell is considered undesirable. Tanneries go through many many steps to remove that smell. Leather Is supposed to have a non-odor, or neutral smell. How interiors get that leather smell is often by introduction of scenting oils in the products. They tend to attract dirt, transfer to clothing, and clog stiching if not discolor it over time.

Just like how bad my Ferrari and Porsche interior smells.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by SPEED RACER
Just like how bad my Ferrari and Porsche interior smells.
huh?

Old 10-22-2008, 04:18 PM
SPEED RACER is infamous around these parts
huh?
J/k I like the leather smell in my cars.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Ah, got you. I like the smell also. My point was that Leather does not really smell, and most leather products with the odor will likely end up causing resoiling issues, or degrading the stitching. You can get that leather scent separate.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Ah, got you. I like the smell also. My point was that Leather does not really smell, and most leather products with the odor will likely end up causing resoiling issues, or degrading the stitching. You can get that leather scent separate.
You're dead-on correct; but the smell to most folks is like the foaming of their shampoo. They expect it and manufacturers add it to their products for marketing purposes. Personally, I do not like a fake leather smell in a conditioner as it makes my leather smell like someone else's leather instead of what it used to smell like when it was new. A good conditioner should nourish your leather and thus bring out it's own aroma.

Most folks truly don't understand how hides are treated as they go through the tanneries. I still have to explain to people why not to use old fashioned saddle soap.

Matt