Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Refinishing Polished+Clearcoated Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
jojogoya88 is infamous around these parts
Refinishing Polished+Clearcoated Wheels

Hey 6speed,

I've had BBS CK Polished and Clearcoated rims for about a half a year now. I picked them up slightly used and have noticed a slight problem that has been occurring over time. It seems that the finish has a thin dirty coat in the finish. Its like a very thin film of dirt when examined closely. I was wondering what i can do for this myself....perhaps buy 2000 grit paper or something? I bought a very good chrome/brass/metal polisher, but it isn't tough enough to bite down into the dirt film. I need help.....appreciate it.

thanks

Below this is what they should look like, and what they look like now (if it does any justice).

BRAND NEW

NOW

Old 10-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
your best bet is to just have them Re-Finished by a respectable Wheel/Body shop... It shoudl run you around $100-150 per Wheel... They will look just liek New after

Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Zookie
your best bet is to just have them Re-Finished by a respectable Wheel/Body shop... It shoudl run you around $100-150 per Wheel... They will look just liek New after
I have debated that but upon inspection of the wheels, i do believe that the film can be sanded out easily. Last owner said that he would take very fine grit paper and they would be repaired back to almost new. Any DUI's?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jojogoya88
Any DUI's?
you mean DIY's?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Zookie
you mean DIY's?
Oops, correction...Are their any DIY's possible?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
If it has a clearcoat, and sanded already by previous owner, he may have thinned the clear. Imagine someone had sanded the paint on your car and now you're trying to sand it also. That dull look may be the bare aluminum now. This is just a thought.

I would definitely shy away from sanding, way too aggressive and should not even be a last resort. Have you tried claying the wheels? My best suggestion would be to clay the wheels, then polish the wheels with something like Menzerna 106 or SIP, then see how they look. If that does the trick, seal or wax the wheels and do a good job of maintaining them from this point on.

If the claying and polishing doesn't work, just send them out to a reputable shop and have them refinished. But definitly stay away from sanding.