Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Proper way to clean and polish clear film?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 AM
HTP
HTP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zookie
I am sure me saying to refrain from applying wax on your clear bra is not a bad advice...
He asked how to maintain a clear bra. You said do nothing. How is that helping?

A clear bra is just like anything else (paint, vinyl, leather...), you have to take care of it. Do nothing like you suggest, it will fade/yellow because you are not protecting it from things such as acid rain, bug acids, road tar, bird dropping, and so on. Apply a protective coating on it (just like 3M states on their website) and it will protect the film... and low and behold it will shine up better just like paint. A glossy clear bra will also be less noticable, last you longer, and look much bettter.

You have already had to replace yours twice, maybe you should think about what we are suggesting...

Old 12-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Total Eclipse is infamous around these parts
Clear Bra

Do you know what kind of film is on you car?
If not
Try "Plex"Plastice Cleaner

Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
As long as you're not using products that have yellow carnauba, plexus, rejex, etc. you're fine. You SHOULD be polishing and waxing just like paint. The yellowing is the glue and lack of proper care on the film surface itself. All films will yellow in time...it's just a matter of controlling the imperfection.

soooo your saying we should Polish??? but HTP AutoWorks said "not" to Polish... what should one do?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 AM
McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !McDBrendan Is a GOD !
I have never had a problem with a clear bra as far as polishing and waxing goes. I always tape off the edge of the bra for polishing, and try to go easy on the bra itself with my polish (using less abrasive polishes and a finishing pad as opposed to a cutting pad).

Old 12-19-2008, 12:05 PM
HTP
soooo your saying we should Polish??? but HTP AutoWorks said "not" to Polish... what should one do?
I stated that you should not polish with a buffer in my original post. Other than that I never said you can not use a non abrasive polish on the film... and I actually recommend that you do.

"Sorry but you are wrong on waxing. I always recommend using a good carnuba wax or Zaino to help maintain the film. You want to make sure it is a good quality wax that will not yellow over time... because it will yellow the film. Polishing/buffing is a no no and I would never recommend that with the films I use."

Maybe I should have said polishing with a buffer to make it clear for you. Sorry about the confusion... I just took it you would know what I was saying.

Last edited by HTP; 12-19-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
I stated that you should not polish with a buffer in my original post. Other than that I never said you can not use a non abrasive polish on the film... and I actually recommend that you do.

"Sorry but you are wrong on waxing. I always recommend using a good carnuba wax or Zaino to help maintain the film. You want to make sure it is a good quality wax that will not yellow over time... because it will yellow the film. Polishing/buffing is a no no and I would never recommend that with the films I use."

Maybe I should have said polishing with a buffer to make it clear for you. Sorry about the confusion... I just took it you would know what I was saying.
you posted a link to 3M whihc you backed up... whats going on...

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
HTP
you posted a link to 3M whihc you backed up... whats going on...
And here it is. What do you not understand? It says exactly the same thing I have said. If you are talking about using an orbital buffer, then no I do not recommend it on film. Most people can damage paint much less film with one.

Q.Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?A.Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used. Key word is "abrasive".

Look if you dont want to use wax or polish, then dont. The point is you can use either of them... and even 3M recommends it.

Last edited by HTP; 12-19-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
I use 106, or 85rd on a white pad, it works fine for all the cars I have done. Just don't use high pressure or high speed, I stay around 1-1100 RPM's.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Simply put, treat film like paint. Use some common sense and don't use harsh products. Nothing containing yellow carnauba. End of story