Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Proper way to clean and polish clear film?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Proper way to clean and polish clear film?

My 997 TT has full hood and front end clear film paint protection. It gets cloudy with any cleaning and polish products I try.
Anyone have a good way of cleaning and polishing?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
As far as i know, there is no products developed for Clean Bra for Polishing and Cleaning... It is also not recommend to Polish or apply Wax on the Clear Bra...

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JZRS4
My 997 TT has full hood and front end clear film paint protection. It gets cloudy with any cleaning and polish products I try.
Anyone have a good way of cleaning and polishing?
Before anyone can answer your question, which film is on your car? 3M, Venture, Avery, etc?

Matt

Old 12-17-2008, 05:39 PM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
A simple polish like zymol hd cleanse and spray wax containing no yellow carnauba such as Zymol Field Glaze is what we recommend to our clients that have either venture shield or 3m

Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
First thing is to do a proper wash, & dry.
Then clay it, stuff loves to stick in the bra.
Follow that up with a light polish & your favorite wax.

Clear bra also likes Plexus, spray cleaner/wax.

Some yellowing can be from the film itself, & the only way to fix that is to get new film.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:57 AM
HTP
HTP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zookie
As far as i know, there is no products developed for Clean Bra for Polishing and Cleaning... It is also not recommend to Polish or apply Wax on the Clear Bra...
Sorry but you are wrong on waxing. I always recommend using a good carnuba wax or Zaino to help maintain the film. You want to make sure it is a good quality wax that will not yellow over time... because it will yellow the film. Polishing/buffing is a no no and I would never recommend that with the films I use. I have recently found an acrylic polish and sealant that is used on aircraft windshields that is excellent for maintaining film. I have been installing clear bras for 5 years... so I have a little knowledge on the subject. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. There are also some excellent detailers on this forum that have great advice too.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Sorry but you are wrong on waxing. I always recommend using a good carnuba wax or Zaino to help maintain the film. You want to make sure it is a good quality wax that will not yellow over time... because it will yellow the film.
I am sorry but you are wrong... I was told by 3M North America (Also Middle East) not to apply any wax as it will acclerate the yellowing of the film... I am sure the Maker of such product have good knowledge... R&D is not cheap. This was 2 years back, maybe now there are Waxes that was Frendly to Clear Bra's... so i "ALWAYS" recommend to refrain from applying wax on such products...

Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Stealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond reputeStealth 993 has a reputation beyond repute
I am sorry but you are wrong... I was told by 3M North America (Also Middle East) not to apply any wax as it will acclerate the yellowing of the film... I am sure the Maker of such product have good knowledge... R&D is not cheap. This was 2 years back, maybe now there are Waxes that was Frendly to Clear Bra's... so i "ALWAYS" recommend to refrain from applying wax on such products...
It's the glue on the film that turns yellow, not the film itself. 3M seam to be one of the only films with the yellowing issue.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
It's the glue on the film that turns yellow, not the film itself. 3M seam to be one of the only films with the yellowing issue.
My 3M has been on for over 2.5 Years and with "Care" the Yellowing is very very little... (car is Parked Underground)... My friends Vette that was Ventured 5 months back and is Garaged is already Yellower than mine... His is Black and mine is Silver, that might help...

i am not trying to Defend any brand... just saying my experiance... I am sure "Yellowing" depends on a lot of other factors that just Brand...

PS: my 3M has Lifetime Warranty on Yellowing and Pealing... I have aleady used it twice... this is another thing to look for when buying

Last edited by Zookie; 12-18-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 PM
HTP
I tell you what, you go with what the rep tells you and I will go with what my first hand knowledge is in. This is my business and I would not tell my clients wrong...or any of you... since I would be the one out of my time and effort in re-installing the film. Honestly I do not install 3M because it cracks, has way to much orange peel, and has poor clarity. So maybe for 3M you should not wax it (doesnt make sense0 but for other brands of films you SHOULD wax it wiht a non-yellowing wax. It will help seal the pores in the film to prevent bugs, tar, acid rain (the list goes on and on) from absorbing in.

This was taken directly from the 3M Scotchgaurd website.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/

Q.Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?A.Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used. Q.What products does 3M recommend to best maintain Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?A.3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3M™ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3M™ Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526 and 3M™ Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3M™ Perfect-IT™ III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.

By the way, why did you have to have your 3M clear bra replaced twice already? I know its not from peeling because they will not warranty that. Here is their warranty from the same link posted above. So whos wrong??????

WarrantyQ.What is the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film warranty?A.3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, installed after November 1, 2003, will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — for five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks

Q.Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?A.Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used. Q.What products does 3M recommend to best maintain Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?A.3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3M™ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3M™ Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526 and 3M™ Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3M™ Perfect-IT™ III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.

By the way, why did you have to have your 3M clear bra replaced twice already? I know its not from peeling because they will not warranty that. Here is their warranty from the same link posted above. So whos wrong??????
it clearly states "Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes.".... and i said this was 2-3 years back i was told about not waxing it, since then companies might have adapeted to urathane... So far i have not come across any wax stating that its safe for urathane... now ofcouse 3M now have their own wax for this...

And yes i had mine replaced for Peeling first time and Yellowing second time... This is probaly thanks to the installer not 3M... As i stated mine is Lifetime Warranty, probly not thru 3M but the Installer who uses 3M Product

As per your aligating PM defending you bussniess knowledge... Just because your a "profesional detailer" does not make you Right...

PS: this is nothing personal, just giving my Opinion/Experiance

Last edited by Zookie; 12-19-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 AM
HTP
it clearly states "Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes.".... and i said this was 2-3 years back i was told about not waxing it, since then companies might have adapeted to urathane... So far i have not come across any wax stating that its safe for urathane... now ofcouse 3M now have their own wax for this...

There are numerous waxes out there that are safe for paint protection film... including Zaino, Zymol, PF1, carnuba based waxes, and numerous others.

And yes i had mine replaced for Peeling first time and Yellowing second time... This is probaly thanks to the installer not 3M... As i stated mine is Lifetime Warranty, probly not thru 3M but the Installer who uses 3M Product

I was just curious about your statement towards your friends black car having yellowing VentureShield... and now your stating you have had your 3M bra replaced because it yellowed. Hmmm...

As per your aligating PM defending you bussniess knowledge... Just because your a "profesional detailer" does not make you Right...

I never said I was a professional detailer. I install clear bras... thats it. I simply stated that you need to know what you are talking about before you go giving bad advice... especially when your limited knowledge of clear bras is because you have had one on your car. It would be like you telling one of the professional detailers on this site he has no idea what he is doing when all you have ever done is take it to the drive through car wash.

PS: this is nothing personal, just giving my Opinion/Experiance
Same here

Last edited by HTP; 12-19-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:05 AM
I am sure me saying to refrain from applying wax on your clear bra is not a bad advice...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
As long as you're not using products that have yellow carnauba, plexus, rejex, etc. you're fine. You SHOULD be polishing and waxing just like paint. The yellowing is the glue and lack of proper care on the film surface itself. All films will yellow in time...it's just a matter of controlling the imperfection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Proper way to clean and polish clear film?