Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Direct me to the good products !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
toddfitz is infamous around these parts

a question for moe,
Q , so many products to choose from! what would you recommend to buy to keep my m3 and family vehicle looking great. I have been in the auto business for years, and know all the products that I can get at local stores. I want to step into the better product line without going broke. could you give me a list, from tires, to interior, to glass, to polish, to wax. I don't detail every week, for I don't have time, and live in the northeast. what products will do the trick?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by toddfitz
a question for moe,
Q , so many products to choose from! what would you recommend to buy to keep my m3 and family vehicle looking great. I have been in the auto business for years, and know all the products that I can get at local stores. I want to step into the better product line without going broke. could you give me a list, from tires, to interior, to glass, to polish, to wax. I don't detail every week, for I don't have time, and live in the northeast. what products will do the trick?
There are many great products out there and it basically comes down to skill level, time, and money. If you want products that are simple to use, safe, and not too expensive, P21S makes a wide range. Their wheel cleaner is arguably one of the best. Simple to use, effective, and safe. Their soap is gentle on the finish, has a nice apple aroma, suds galore, and effective. Another great product they have that is extremely effective on getting grime off wheels, wheel wells, engine bay, door jams, tail pipes, etc. is Total Auto Wash. This is a citrus-based multi-purpose cleaner that can be used on pretty much anything safely to clean and get stuck-on dirt and grease off most surfaces.

Exterior Wash and Clean:

P21S Wheel Cleaner
P21S Bodywork Shampoo
P21S Total Auto Wash
100% Natural Sheepskin Wash Mitt
Zymol Clear Auto Bathe
Einszett Perls Shampoo

For cleaning and getting the paint back to life, as long as you remember the technique of Trinity, you're in great shape. Trinity is a process I've names for the foundation of any car's exterior paint detailing. Simply put: Clay, Polish, and Wax. No matter whose product you use, you're on the right track and the paint will have a proper foundation if you follow these steps.

For a beginner, nothing is easier than using Zymol Clay and an All-in-One polish/wax combo like Einszett Metallic Polish Wax, Zaino All In One, or Zymol Cleaner Wax. These products do a polish/wax job in one step. However, they do have their draw back. Since they are both products in one, they cannot do both jobs in one. You see, you'll get a compromise of polishing paint, which does the majority of the cleaning and conditioning, and waxing the paint, which gives further depth and adds protection. However, what you do gain is time saving.

To truly bring out the best in the exterior finish, you need a seperate polish and wax product. There are many polishes out there and they each have their purpose. For hand polishing, you can use a mild polish like Menzerna Final Polish, P21S Paint Cleanser, or Zymol HD-Cleanse. These polishes are designed to simply clean the paint and being out its color while removing minor imperfection such as light swirls and oxidation. For more advanced polishing, you will need a polisher like a Flex 3401 and polishing pads and polishes such as Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, Super Finish, Power Finish, etc. The machine polishing should be something you work up to IMHO. You need to understand the basics of detailing, see if it's something you're interested in, then invest in products such as higher-end polishes and polishers.

Now we come to waxes. This is basically the icing on the cake. There are many great choices out there and it's basically personal preference. However, there are two basic categories: Synthetic and Natural. Synthetics typically give you greater shine, durability, and ease of use. Natural Carnauba waxes give you greater reflection, depth, and more vibrant colors. So choosing which avenue to go, is your choice and your preference of how you want the car to look. A simple wax that does the job and gives great results is a synthetic called Einszett Glanz or Autoglym Radiant Wax. Both these products are easy to use and will do a great job. Some natural waxes to consider are P21S 100% Carnuba or Zymol Titanium or Zymol Concours. If you use any of these naturals, you MUST use their pre-wax cleansers/polishes.

Clay/Polish Beginner:

Zymol Lehm Klay
Zymol Lehm Lube
Meguiar's Clay System
Zaino All In One Polish/Wax (Polish/Wax Combo)
Einszett Metallic Polish Wax (Polish/Wax Combo)
Zymol Cleaner Wax (Polish/Wax Combo)
Menzerna Final Polish
Zymol HD-Clenase
P21S Paint Cleanser

Clay/Polish Intermediate-Advanced:

Zymol Lehm Klay
Zymol Lehm Lube
Meguiar's Clay System
FLEX 3401 Polisher
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
Menzerna Power Finish
Menzerna Super Finish
Various polishing pads

Wax Basic-Intermediate-Advanced:

P21S 100% Carnuba
Autoglym Radiant Wax
Einszet Glanz
Zaino
Zymol Titanium
Zymol Concours

Other products you'll need are simple conditioners and cleaners. Below are suggestions:

Interior Cleaners and Conditioners:
  • Autoglym Interior Cleaner - The best interior cleaner IMHO. Works on leather, vinyl, carpets, alcantara, suede, etc. Gets the job done and excellent value.
  • Einszett ****pit Premium - Great interior detail spray. It's not a true cleaner or conditioner. Rather, an intermediate product that is great for touch ups, wiping fingerprints off, dusting, etc. Should not be without it.
  • Zymol Treat - Excellent leather conditioner that leaves the leather a satin finish and does not have any chemical scent
  • Einszett Leather Care - Great leather product that's a synthetic. It too leaves a satin finish, but does have a strong scent initially.
  • Zymol Vinyl - Excellent product to use on plastics, rubber gaskets, etc.
Wheel Cleaners and Conditioners:
  • P21S Wheel Cleaner - Works excellent and is easy to use. You will use up a lot of the product since it's watery in formula.
  • Zymol Wheel Cleaner - A safe and all-natural wheel cleaner that works great on wheel that don't need a lot of cleaning. It's gel formula makes it a great value since you don't use too much.
  • P21S Total Auto Wash - Works great on wheels that needs TLC.
  • Zymol Tyre - Great tire conditioner that leaves the rubber a satin sheen not too much shine or gloss. Work great on all rubber trim as well.
  • Meguiar's All Season Dressing - A great tire conditioner that has a little more shine but nothing offensive. Very cost effective and easy to use.
  • Zymol Wheel Coat - A spray-on and walk-away wax that protects the wheels.
  • EZ-Detail Brush - A must-have for getting inside the wheels to clean.
  • Zymol Wheel Brush - A great brush to safely clean the face of the wheels, tires, engine compartment, etc. Be prepared to buy a new one often. As much as I like them, they're very poorly designed and only last 5-10 uses.
Glass Cleaning:
  • Meguiar's Detailer Line Glass Cleaner - The best value for the money. I haven't switched since beginning to use it years ago. Cleans glass surfaces better than anything i've ever seen.
Microfiber Towels:
Optional, but essential:
Hope this steers you in the right direction. Please feel free to call or email if you have further comments.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 01-18-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
toddfitz is infamous around these parts
thanks moe

i have already purchased the interior cleaner by autoglym. great product!!
thank you so much for your time and professional advice. I have been in the auto collision business for over 25 yrs. I have used many products geared toward vehicle finish /appearance. Moe , thank you for the "next step" in higher end product advice.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM
helakukuruk is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by toddfitz
a question for moe,
There are various brands that you can choose from depending on the kind that you are comfortable and that which suits the car. Check out: www.clicktire.com . They have a great range of tires and wheels and I’m sure you will find the right ones to suit your needs.