Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Moe: Question re prep for Porsche Concours Wash & Shine category

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Moe: Question re prep for Porsche Concours Wash & Shine category

This question is mainly directed at Moe, as he has first-hand experience and knowledge about this Southern CA Concours event. However, everyone please jump in:

I am thinking about entering my car in the Porsches by the Sea Concours, Wash & Shine category.

If I were to enter, what are some of the things the judges look for in this category? Since all of the entries will be newer cars, I assume the cars have to be judged on proper maintenance, cleanliness, etc.? I have maintained my car following your instructions using Zymol products, so I expect to win! Seriously, what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Wash & Shine is typically like the "Top only" concours category.
Make sure your paint looks good, your wheels & tires are clean and that your interior is as well.
When your car is being judged, points will be taken off for non OEM equipment such as aftermarket radios, wheels spoilers etc.
Good luck and post some pics!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chardonet
This question is mainly directed at Moe, as he has first-hand experience and knowledge about this Southern CA Concours event. However, everyone please jump in:

I am thinking about entering my car in the Porsches by the Sea Concours, Wash & Shine category.

If I were to enter, what are some of the things the judges look for in this category? Since all of the entries will be newer cars, I assume the cars have to be judged on proper maintenance, cleanliness, etc.? I have maintained my car following your instructions using Zymol products, so I expect to win! Seriously, what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance!
Excellent question...Wash and Shine at our local PCA is actually intense. Some circuits are easier, but ours tends to be involved.

There are so many little things to address:

Seat rails: must have new grease
Door jams: polished and waxed
Ash tray
Glove box
Owners manual must be present
All the tools should be present, accounted for, and clean
All the trim should have a clean look. Not shiny or dry
No nicks or chips on lug nuts, wheels, etc.
Clean license plate
And the list keeps going.

I've been present at the judging at numerous occasions, and some judges can be be pretty harsh.

Best advice, prep weeks in advance and trailor the car to the show. We'll talk as we get closer to the event.

Here's a couple concours judge sheets and info:

PCA - Orange Coast Region Courtesy of James Brackenrig “JB” (PCA Zone 8 Concours Chair)
356 Club - Southern California

Hope this answered your questions.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 AM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Guys, thanks for the responses.

So my next question: How do you compete against the garage queens?? Are the judges partial to higher mile cars that are kept up just as cleanly as a no-mile garage queen???

Also, what about a car that is entirely wrapped in protective film? How will this be judged in regards to paint upkeep?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, thanks for the responses.

So my next question: How do you compete against the garage queens?? Are the judges partial to higher mile cars that are kept up just as cleanly as a no-mile garage queen???

Also, what about a car that is entirely wrapped in protective film? How will this be judged in regards to paint upkeep?
As far as competing against garage queens, that's not too much of a concern for wash and shine. I'll bet you can enter it after a nice detail by you and you'd place. Your GT3 is in excellent shape

As for the film, Premier did an excellent job. I doubt the judges would notice.

A few years back, Premier did a GT2 for me that was a full custom front. They wrapped the hood, fenders, lights, bumpers, mirrors. The judges didn't even know there was film. We placed first in class and second overall. We would have won the concours but a 356 that was featured in excellence happened to be competing as well. He blew up the cover of the magazine...judges were swayed, and he won. I don't like losing, but I don't mind losing to that

Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Moe:

Thanks for the update and details on past entrants. Will definitely be in touch.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Premium Sponsor
Moe:

Thanks for the update and details on past entrants. Will definitely be in touch.
Just make sure you give me at least 4 weeks heads up....it gets busy around concours time