Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Wax at edges of Clearbra strips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:25 PM
rich_daystrom is infamous around these parts
Wax at edges of Clearbra strips

Just finished waxing car with Mother's Synwax and have some residual wax at edges of clearbra strips. What is the best way to clear off the white wax residue from the edges of the plastic strips?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rich_daystrom
Just finished waxing car with Mother's Synwax and have some residual wax at edges of clearbra strips. What is the best way to clear off the white wax residue from the edges of the plastic strips?

Thanks
You can gently rub the edge of the film with a microfiber towel or wait til it dries and gently run a wooden toothpick along the edge. Be very careful not to expose the glue edge.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 PM
D!Tailed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rich_daystrom

Thanks
I just use some quick detailer and a microfiber. Are you sure it's wax and not the glue from the ClearBra? As the ClearBra gets warm, some of them will shrink a little and leave some residue around the edges. I usually remove that with a little adhesive remover on a microfiber. Just be sure to go back over any paint that you get the adhesive remover on with wax and to put some vinyl protectant on any clearbra you get the adhesive remover on. You need to rub really lightly and don't dig around the edges, but that should work.

Something of note. When I wax around clearbra, I will generally mask off the line just a tiny bit over the edge with blue painter's tape. Then when you are done applying wax, you remove the tape and just wipe off the wax on the paint.

Pics might help.

D!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
gtKnight is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
I just use some quick detailer and a microfiber. Are you sure it's wax and not the glue from the ClearBra? As the ClearBra gets warm, some of them will shrink a little and leave some residue around the edges. I usually remove that with a little adhesive remover on a microfiber. Just be sure to go back over any paint that you get the adhesive remover on with wax and to put some vinyl protectant on any clearbra you get the adhesive remover on. You need to rub really lightly and don't dig around the edges, but that should work.

Something of note. When I wax around clearbra, I will generally mask off the line just a tiny bit over the edge with blue painter's tape. Then when you are done applying wax, you remove the tape and just wipe off the wax on the paint.

Pics might help.

D!
Yeah, a quick detailer and microfiber tends to work fine for me too. The sooner you wipe off the wax, the easier it seems to be. I'm not sure about the tooth pick idea that someone mentioned though. A friend of mine said his detailer recommended using a tooth pick to take off encrusted wax on his bra and he ended putting scratches on the paint, along the edge of the plastic. I guess it's user error, but better safe than sorry.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
You can lightly use a q-tip dipped in a little bit of isopropyl alcohol. This is what Venture Shield recommends. I will sometimes use a solvent based wax and a microfiber towel, seems to do the trick real well.

John

Old 04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Former Vendor
Detailed Image is infamous around these partsDetailed Image is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
Helpful tip, this is what I do also. It takes a little extra time but not dealing with product caked up on the edge of the clear bra is worth it to me.

George

Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM
D!Tailed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Helpful tip, this is what I do also. It takes a little extra time but not dealing with product caked up on the edge of the clear bra is worth it to me.

George
Yeah, it all depends on where you want to spend your time. I'm sure you do this for the same reason I do, but when I am polishing/protecting a car, I will sometimes spend up to an hour taping everything up. This may seem like a lot of time, but it probably saves me at least twice that amount of time in trying to get wax and polish out of the cracks and out from the emblems!

D!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Using a clean microfiber towel and quick detailer spray works well for us.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com