Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Aluminum polish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Ristretto is infamous around these parts
Aluminum polish

I have some polished aluminum parts in my engine bay. Recently when washing it, if think there was some sort of reaction and the aluminum pieces came out hazy. These parts do not have a clear. Any ideas on the best method to polish the aluminum back to a brilliance back and with what product? Any help would be appreciated!

Brian

Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ristretto
I have some polished aluminum parts in my engine bay. Recently when washing it, if think there was some sort of reaction and the aluminum pieces came out hazy. These parts do not have a clear. Any ideas on the best method to polish the aluminum back to a brilliance back and with what product? Any help would be appreciated!

Brian
Can you post a picture? There are several good products out there, just need to get an idea of pointing you to the right direction.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
For engine parts you need something rather aggressive to start. I recommend "Sea Power" aluminum polish. It cuts very well, and has a lot of amonia in it which cleans as it polishes. If you really want it looking perfect, you can finish with something like "Metal" - You can get this from Moe. If you have staining you're going to spend a lot of time polishing if you start with something that isn't very aggressive. Start strong, and finish light.

John

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Wenol. I used to polish sportbike frames and this stuff is by far the best.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
I've used Flitz Aluminum Pre-Clean with good results. It gets the metal ready for whatever polish and sealant that you want to use. {Also available through Autopia }

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Ristretto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lynn Phillips
Our Sonus Aluminum Restore followed by the Sonus Aluminum Polish and Sonus Aluminum Sealant works very well to restore uncoated aluminum.

Lynn
Thank you for all the responses. Sounds like there are a number of good alternatives. We ended up ordering a case of Wenol. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
craig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud ofcraig3887 has much to be proud of
If those don't work try "wet" sanding with a 1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper, then finish with a polish. I've been using mothers billet polish with success, never got around to trying anything different.