Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Tire residue from track on clear bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Tire residue from track on clear bra

Some weeks back I had clear bra applied to the lower rear panels behind the tires. A couple of coats of Plexus were applied.
The next weekend I went to the drag strip and as a result of heating up the tires, tire residue got stuck to the clear bra.

Any ideas on how to get it off?
I've tried Dawn, adhesive remover and detailing spray, but I thought that checking with the experts would be wise before I resorted to using gasoline!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DFW911T
Some weeks back I had clear bra applied to the lower rear panels behind the tires. A couple of coats of Plexus were applied.
The next weekend I went to the drag strip and as a result of heating up the tires, tire residue got stuck to the clear bra.

Any ideas on how to get it off?
I've tried Dawn, adhesive remover and detailing spray, but I thought that checking with the experts would be wise before I resorted to using gasoline!

Thanks for your thoughts.
You need to use a polish, that's not too aggressive, to take care of this. For me, Menzerna Super Finish always did the trick.

Also, avoid using Plexus on the film...it will turn it yellow over time. You need a mild polish like Zymol HD Cleanse and a spray wax that contains no yellow carnauba like Field Glaze.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Thanks Moe.
The Plexus was suggested by the guy who installed that section of clear bra. He sells Plexus too, imagine that.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
D!Tailed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
You need to use a polish, that's not too aggressive, to take care of this. For me, Menzerna Super Finish always did the trick.

Also, avoid using Plexus on the film...it will turn it yellow over time. You need a mild polish like Zymol HD Cleanse and a spray wax that contains no yellow carnauba like Field Glaze.

Hope this helps.
I thought it was to avoid using 303 on the Clear Bra... I thought Plexus was fine...

D!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
I thought it was to avoid using 303 on the Clear Bra... I thought Plexus was fine...

D!
I've seen film yellow and haze after prolong use of Plexus. A simple paint cleanser and detail spray without yellow carnauba will be sufficient IMHO. It's what I do on detail with clear film, it's how we protect film after every install, and it's what we recommend to all out clients.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 AM
D!Tailed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I've seen film yellow and haze after prolong use of Plexus. A simple paint cleanser and detail spray without yellow carnauba will be sufficient IMHO. It's what I do on detail with clear film, it's how we protect film after every install, and it's what we recommend to all out clients.

That's good to know!

Thanks Moe!

D!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
I believe most 3m clear film will yellow over time thru the sun, I haven't really seen Plexus yellow any clear on this side of the coast, besides after 2-3 years I have seen most my customers just redo the clear film because they haze up or look bad in a few years.

I will have to redo mine as well soon.