Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Stainless scratches - gone!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Stainless scratches - gone!

A few weeks ago I posted about a product that I was waiting to try...well, here are the results:

Problem...scratched stainless entry sill:

Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Using a product called Scratch-B-Gone, I fixed the problem without spending hundreds to replace the sills:

Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
///M Lifestyle has a spectacular aura about///M Lifestyle has a spectacular aura about
nice job!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by ///M Lifestyle
nice job!
Thanks...this is the first metal scratch removal product that works well, keeps the "grains" correct, and oxidizes the metal so the repaired area does not look out of place...for about $50, I'll keep it in my detailing battle chest. It definately works.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
That looks really good...nice job. Before/after pics show a major improvement.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
nice work!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks everyone...I did a few more "gentle" passes and the rest of the deeper scratches are now feathered in...

I better put on clear bra before it scratches again...

Old 05-03-2009, 06:37 PM
mburns813 is infamous around these partsmburns813 is infamous around these parts
Looks great!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM
blitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to beholdblitzo is a splendid one to behold
wow awesome. thanks for the update. definitely need to get some myself.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice save! Is this product just for stainless or can it be used on other finished metal?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Slik560
Nice save! Is this product just for stainless or can it be used on other finished metal?
It's designed for stainless, although I would think it would work elsewhere.

There is a test cloth that comes with the kit...if you rub the metal with the cloth, it will oxidize meaning it is a true metal finish. If it doesn't change colors, it is clear coated, and you are pretty much out of luck.

I was worried about polishing with the abrasive pads, but it is nothing like paint or clear coat...it is very very forgiving. It just takes longer, and requires you to feather in the edges.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent - thanks!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Wow that looks fantastic...I need to get some for my sills...that has been buggin me for some time. Thanks for the review!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Wow that looks fantastic...I need to get some for my sills...that has been buggin me for some time. Thanks for the review!
Your very welcome...I was pretty skeptical at first, but if you follow the steps, it really works well and keeps the brushed texture intact.

You need to:
1. Make sure your surface is not coated ie clear coated, and it is in fact stainless steel.

2. Use the oxidizing solution to ensure that the newly prepped surface does not stand out from the surrounding stainless

3. Like all polishing, start with the "gentlest" or softest pad and work your way up to something more agressive.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
You need to:
1. Make sure your surface is not coated ie clear coated, and it is in fact stainless steel.

Good luck!
Haha, that is actually the first thing I thought of...wonder if mine is actually steel or some plastic Nissan threw in there...we'll find out soon enough. Your tips are appreciated nonetheless.

PS saw your new Ruf-mobile in the TT section. Looks stunning! Keep working on your photo skills, looking forward to new pictures in the future.
I did a quick 3 minute edit of one of your pics...hope you enjoy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stainless scratches - gone!