Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

My constant in-car detail kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
My constant in-car detail kit

So I've decided for most the usual sweat and labor stuff I'm going to find a local detailer to take care of that - weekly washes and monthly wax/mini-detail, and then the twice annual full spare no expense detail I'll just drive on down to Mo in Irvine.

But for the little touch up kind of things I want to carry around a permanent, always in my car "detail kit" - here's what I have so far:

The Bag
It's gotta look good, of course
Problem is I went to a number of leather shops and even specialty men's shaving stores like The Art of Shaving to see if I could find a big enough leather shaving kit bag that might do. But none were large enough so I scratched that idea. In the end, I happened across a really nice color matched bag that seemed perfect for relatively cheap cost.

Barnes&Noble - Canvass Messenger bag in black to match my p-car interior black. I carry it behind my passenger seat and it blends in with the black carpet. Nice and soft canvass, mag lock for main flap so no zipper rattles, noise shifting as I corner or brake hard, and no scratch hazard on the leather. Nice 2-large snap pockets to hold any 2 standard spray bottles + 2 smaller cans/bottles, and one main area to hold all my MF towels + misc stuff.
http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Home.../9780641857690

The bags to hold my clean vs used towels inside my kit bag
I finally found a use for all those business class/first class airline travel kits they issue me each time I fly. You know, like United on any night flight gives socks, ear plugs, bathroom kit, eye cover, etc. all draw string tied inside a nice synthetic bag. I've thrown away all the stuff but kept the bags for some reason thinking someday I'd find a use - and that time is now. I need to order MF towels and at least a couple waffle weave towels from some place like Detailers Domain, but I plan on putting one touch up / bug cleanup worth of towel needs in each of these little airline bags.

Like two MF towels, one polish cloth, etc. in each little draw string tied bag. I'll just throw 2-3 of those in my main kit bag, and when used put the towels back in the bundle bag - toss the used bundle bag into my auto towels-only wash stack at home and replace the used bundle in my kit bag with a few spares I'll keep near the laundry.

The fluids
I have 1 spray bottle of Meguiar's Quick Detail spray. Seems to work ok and I really only use it when my car is already freshly washed but water seeps out after I drive off. So I spray down the water spots. Less often is to spray off bug impacts or bird droppings.

I don't really know what other standard quick fix spray I should carry since I always get a full wash done every week. Instead of auto glass fluid I bought an Armor All Window Wipe that is non-ammonia based - has 25 sheets in each roll box with a snap lid supposedly guaranteed to avoid drying the sheets for a year. Given how frequently I'll use up the roll I don't plan on testing that guarantee. Threw this plastic bottle roll into my kit bag and use it to wipe my windshield clean of spots and bug splats after long drives.

The towels
One large waffle weave drying towel just in case and for backup. The rest I figure I can just carry around small MF towels and a few polish cloths.

In my irrational mind, having this kit bag in my car at all times makes my drives to no where 100% more enjoyable knowing I can spot clean whatever crap lands my way by accident. I'm pretty sure it added +10 HP to my butt dyno too.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
tanman is infamous around these parts
I'll speak for the rest of us.

WTF are you kidding me? ho mozhacker

Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
D!Tailed is infamous around these parts
I just tow this around behind me.

just kidding.

D!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
Even just parked there, that thing looks impressive. Detail cart on wheels.

random note - the Armor All Glass wipes are totally useless. They live up to their claim of it doeasnt leave streak marks but unless your windshield is totally spotless after a fresh wash and just wiping down water marks, these wipes are fairly lame - moves the dirt around some while picking most up, resulting in a very thing but easily visible smear when in direct sunlight.

I'm packing more MF towels and just packed in 4 of those little airline travel kit bottles - like 3-4 oz each. Put glass wipe fluid in a couple and tire cleaner in the others.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
D!Tailed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mozhacker
Even just parked there, that thing looks impressive. Detail cart on wheels.

random note - the Armor All Glass wipes are totally useless. They live up to their claim of it doeasnt leave streak marks but unless your windshield is totally spotless after a fresh wash and just wiping down water marks, these wipes are fairly lame - moves the dirt around some while picking most up, resulting in a very thing but easily visible smear when in direct sunlight.
Amen. Just pack a bottle of Prima Clarity and a Paradise Glass Cleaning cloth and it's all you will ever use for windows!

D!