Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Possible to buff out light scratch on clearcoat/paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM
mozhacker is infamous around these parts
Possible to buff out light scratch on clearcoat/paint?

Jet black C4S and after a wash I noticed someone left a light scratch on my front bumper, towards the top area.

will take a close photo soon as I can find my flash....can these things really buff out or am I better off thinking touchup paint?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Some pics would help.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Pics attached

Sorry for not having pics before - dark outside so I had to use my digital flash which isn't the brightest unit and couldn't find my separate flash unit. Garage isn't that bright so drove around and found a public garage with bit better light but still had this weak flash.

Standing in person, you can't see the scratch at all from less than 2 feet away eye to paint.

Not the best pic, but this represents fairly well what you would not see, the scratch, at night or even in bright sunlight from this distance away.

Little closer, flash pointed just to right of scratch - barely visible

Closer up, flash light reflection about 3 inches above the scratch

Camera from 6 inches away, light thin scratch visible clearly in flash reflection but by eye pretty faint in sunlight and harder to see in room light

So I'll take a few more pics in sunlight but the detailer co-located at my local car wash that I had done a low range detail with before right after picking up my car ($150 job about 4 hours) might be able to buff this out, or might not. I'm wondering if I need to go to a really ultra high end detailer, can this even be buffed out?

Or just live with it until I get enough stone chips later on that it's worth repainting the whole bumper section? Looking at it closer, touch up paint isn't a solution I think.

Pre-thanks for any helpful pointers.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mozhacker
Sorry for not having pics before - dark outside so I had to use my digital flash which isn't the brightest unit and couldn't find my separate flash unit. Garage isn't that bright so drove around and found a public garage with bit better light but still had this weak flash.

Standing in person, you can't see the scratch at all from less than 2 feet away eye to paint.

Not the best pic, but this represents fairly well what you would not see, the scratch, at night or even in bright sunlight from this distance away.

Little closer, flash pointed just to right of scratch - barely visible

Closer up, flash light reflection about 3 inches above the scratch

Camera from 6 inches away, light thin scratch visible clearly in flash reflection but by eye pretty faint in sunlight and harder to see in room light

So I'll take a few more pics in sunlight but the detailer co-located at my local car wash that I had done a low range detail with before right after picking up my car ($150 job about 4 hours) might be able to buff this out, or might not. I'm wondering if I need to go to a really ultra high end detailer, can this even be buffed out?

Or just live with it until I get enough stone chips later on that it's worth repainting the whole bumper section? Looking at it closer, touch up paint isn't a solution I think.

Pre-thanks for any helpful pointers.
Those are easy to get it out. Well, maybe not a piece of cake time wise, but the technique and concept is simple. You simply need patience and you'll be rewarded with a swirl-free paint that YOU can do.

For the price it would cost to have a good professional detailer do the polishing, get the kit below:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...sh-Kits/Detail

This kit has everything you'll need to safely and legitimately remove those pesky swirls. The polisher is VERY safe and you won't burn the paint. There are many DIYers here on 6speed that have bought that polisher and the Menzerna polishes...more than 20 just in the past few weeks from our group buy.

Let me know if you'd like more info or you'd like that kit. Your porsche paint is very durable and resiliant so you can probably make it look better than the day you bought it.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Moe. My problem is I just recently relocated to Socal and haven't bought a house yet - no place to wash and DIY other than one of those self wash car places, so I've been going to a local 'high end' car wash. Although that doesnt seem to matter far as putting on swirls and this scratch.

I'll give the flex kit some thought, looks pretty cool and all the testimonials are very reassuring with people who also have dark paint.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM
mburns813 is infamous around these partsmburns813 is infamous around these parts
I bought the Flex from Moe and it was great. The buying experience was very good and the polisher and Menzerna polishes are excellent. You should be able to get the larger scratch out or at least minimize it. However, it could require wetsanding but I am not sure.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mozhacker
Thanks Moe. My problem is I just recently relocated to Socal and haven't bought a house yet - no place to wash and DIY other than one of those self wash car places, so I've been going to a local 'high end' car wash. Although that doesnt seem to matter far as putting on swirls and this scratch.

I'll give the flex kit some thought, looks pretty cool and all the testimonials are very reassuring with people who also have dark paint.
Where are you taking the car for a wash? If it's a good place, we can do a proper detail and paint correction, and then you can maintain it yourself or take it to the current car wash and have them do it. In a few months, you can have the washes done by us.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 PM
It's a place called California Car Wash, in Glendale on corner of Central and Los Feliz. They do a lot of the cars for the dealers on the auto row section of Brand Blvd - BMW, Mercedes, etc. Have only seen a very few Porsches there though. Not sure if it is a partner or owned unit, but they also have a separate detail center located next to them.

Quality:
The car wash offers basic to full wash at $23, or express hand wax at $41. They usually assign just one person to do your car, and seems to spend a good deal of time at it. But after I got my full detail last month and the paint looked pretty good at that time, I have a decent amount of swirls now. Even if I drove down to OC and had you set me up perfect, I'd just go back to swirls if I went to this place which was the best of the 4-5 I tried in my local area. So I'm currently hunting all over for either a DIY location or preferably a detailer/wash package from a location based or mobile detailer.

The detail center located next to this car wash I go to seems to do a good job, the full interior/exterior detail that I got for $139 seemed pretty decent but my car was brand new at the time, but at least they didnt put on swirls or imperfections. But they don't do washes to maintain the car between details.

Are you going to open or provide a wash service in a few months? If so what service area are you thinking of? What I'm really looking for is kind of a monthly package thing - mobile or location detail/washer that I can setup a monthly fee for some hand washes to maintain and a monthly wax.

Found a few like that around my area, actually a ton that advertise, but only a few that seem good so far based on yelp and other references, but your rep is #1 on this board so I'd be highly interested what you plan on providing in the coming months.