Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

What to do with the Acrylic Glanz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
mrtImpreza is infamous around these parts
What to do with the Acrylic Glanz

I just purchased the Sonus wash kit and the Sonus Acrylic Glanz spray and was wondering if this spray will affect my paint if there is a carnauba wax on the car. I just bought the car about a month ago and the wax on there is phenominal. I'm just not sure if there is a carnauba wax or an acrylic wax on there and don't want to mess up the paint with this spray if there isn't an acrylic wax on there. Just wondering if I could use this if there isn't an acrylic wax on there. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrtImpreza
I just purchased the Sonus wash kit and the Sonus Acrylic Glanz spray and was wondering if this spray will affect my paint if there is a carnauba wax on the car. I just bought the car about a month ago and the wax on there is phenominal. I'm just not sure if there is a carnauba wax or an acrylic wax on there and don't want to mess up the paint with this spray if there isn't an acrylic wax on there. Just wondering if I could use this if there isn't an acrylic wax on there. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
There are those that recommend not putting a synthetic over a carnauba since the synthetic needs a solid surface to bind to. You're not going to damage your paint if you put a synthetic over a carnauba, just reduce the protection time of the synthetic.

Eventually, you will need to clay, polish, and wax. That's the time to truly figure out what route to go. For now, use the wash kit and spray the wax..it'll be fine.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
An acrylic polymer (Acrylic Glanz) will not adhere to a Carnauba wax due to its oil content.

A polymer will only form a molecular bond with another polymer, however there are some exceptions

Exceptions to Organic and Non-Organic Bonding
This is an example of how formulators can manipulate polymers, here are two products, and there may be others-

Danase Wet Glaze - a pure gloss enhancer (i.e. non-abrasive and with a low solvent content); it’s formulated with acrylic polymers [edit covalent bond] that allow it to adhere to a wax or polymer sealant without any issues

Zaino Clear Seal (Z-CS) - is a polymer product that will bond to a wax or oil-based product, ZCS is just a clear glossy layer without much of a look of its own (but locks in the look underneath it)

As technology continues to evolve and change the market of premium detailing products, the gap between Organic and Non-Organic car care product qualities and aesthetics lessens

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-19-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Alright I guess I will just try it to see what happens. I just didn't want to blemish the paint or anything else. Also, what do I do with the towel that I am using after I apply this in regards to washing it or do I just throw it away?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Danase Wet Glaze - a pure gloss enhancer (i.e. non-abrasive and with a low solvent content); it’s formulated with acrylic polymers that form a covalent bond, its polymers allow it to bond with a wax or polymer sealant without any bonding issues

So this Danese Wet Glaze makes a covalent bond to the wax? I find this difficult to believe. A good wax or polymer will make a kinetic bond at best, so even if it can make a covalent bond, the weakest link is still the wax to the clearcoat.

John

Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrtImpreza
Alright I guess I will just try it to see what happens. I just didn't want to blemish the paint or anything else. Also, what do I do with the towel that I am using after I apply this in regards to washing it or do I just throw it away?
Sometimes it can get a bit overwhelming when you try and understand the chemistry behind everything...half the time, we don't really know if the manufacturer can even back their claims.

So don't worry...you're not going to blemish the paint and it'll look just fine.

As for the towels, make sure to use a high quality microfiber, simply wash them and you can reuse. When it's time to wash, wash them in warm water, detergent with no bleach or fabric softener, and dry on low heat.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Nice. Thanks alot. I'm just scared to do anything to this paint. It's an 86 and it looks more incredible than anything out of a showroom.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by detailjohn
Danase Wet Glaze - a pure gloss enhancer (i.e. non-abrasive and with a low solvent content); it’s formulated with acrylic polymers that form a covalent bond, its polymers allow it to bond with a wax or polymer sealant without any bonding issues

So this Danese Wet Glaze makes a covalent bond to the wax? I find this difficult to believe. A good wax or polymer will make a kinetic bond at best, so even if it can make a covalent bond, the weakest link is still the wax to the clearcoat.

John
My apologises, it should read- Danase Wet Glaze - a pure gloss enhancer (i.e. non-abrasive and with a low solvent content); it’s formulated with acrylic polymers that allow it to adhere to a wax or polymer sealant without any issues

The original post has been edited [omit covalent bond] accordingly

Thanks to your ‘proof reading’ for spotting this, saving me embarrassment

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-19-2009 at 08:53 AM.