Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

best drying towel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor
Detailed Image is infamous around these partsDetailed Image is infamous around these parts
Waffle weave drying towels are the way to go. They are extremely absorbent and are safer to use than chamois due to the waffle like texture. Check out the customer reviews on our waffle weave towels.

George

Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I've been using waffle weave microfiber towels from Wal-Mart. A 2 pack goes for 3 bucks and they work extremely well leaving no microscratches on my black 997. For the price it's worth a try.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
dblock110 is infamous around these parts
im gonna try these waffle weaves u guys are talking about. i have tried everything lol.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dblock110
im gonna try these waffle weaves u guys are talking about. i have tried everything lol.
You'll really enjoy them...won't ever use a chamois again.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MLindgren
I've been using waffle weave microfiber towels from Wal-Mart. A 2 pack goes for 3 bucks and they work extremely well leaving no microscratches on my black 997. For the price it's worth a try.
I used those before. The thing to remember is not all microfibers are the same; hence their price difference. The better quality towels will far outlast the lesser expensive economy towels. The weight of the towels make a huge difference as well, kind of like thread count for sheets. Either way, it's good that you're using a mf towel instead of the chamois.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Micro fibre 101

Micro fibre definition (Microfiber US spelling)
There seems to be quite a lot of confusion as to exactly what micro fibre actually is. By definition [: very small; involving minute quantities or variations] it is not a fabric; but a yarn, that’s spun into thread, which is then used to weave a terry fabric. These ultra-fine yarns (twice as fine as silk and is 100 times finer than a human hair) are made from various sources, they can be made from many different materials, such as a 70% polyester/30% polyamide (or 80/20%) or a natural material such as cellulose, a plant carbohydrate. Potentially any fibre could be made into a micro fibre.

Denier [: weight per unit length (linear density) measure of a continuous filament or yarn, used traditionally in textile industry]. The higher the number, the thicker the fibre

In order to be classed as a micro fibre, the fibre must be less than one denier thickness, fine silk, for example, is approximately 1.25 denier, fibres are formed by forcing material through microscopic openings in a device called a spinneret. With micro fibres, the holes are finer than with conventional fibres, with 90,000 to 200,000 fibre strands in a square inch of fabric

There are currently two countries that manufacture and export micro fibre towels, Korea and China. The quality of these products is dependent upon the quality assurance (if any) programs employed. More so than many car care products - you'll (usually) get the quality you pay for. Purchasing them from a reliable vendor is the safest bet.

Its scratch resistance has a lot to do with the way the fibres are processed and spun, there are too many factors to be able to say conclusively that natural fibres will not cause scratches and artificial fibres will. However, natural fibres are far less likely to scratch, flannel or cotton flannel is a very tight weave and it could scratch as it mats down easily, always try to stay with a terrycloth weave.

The materials used to produce micro fibre was a combination of two DuPont fibres, polyester (the scrubbing and cleaning fibre), and polyamide (the absorbing and quick drying fibre), which is used as the core and polyester as the outer fibre. No matter how soft it feels, polyester, being a plastic will scratch a paint surface on a microscopic level, which shows up as towelling marks, longer scratches than the usual small swirl marks or micro marring

The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively are encapsulating a lot of water. Once they become coated with detergent, polish or fabric softener, etc. they lose their absorbent abilities.

The smaller the diameter of the yarn, the softer the fabric will feel, however this does not mean that it's non-abrasive and will not cause scratches (this softness can also be chemically induced).

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stockton
I dry with a cotton terry towel for a first pass and then finish with a microfiber towel. I need to try by the waffles, though!

And, NO ONE uses a SHAM WOW?! You know those things are made in Germany and Germans make good stuff!
Sham Wow is EXACTLY as advertised... SHAM!!! Haha.... I bought a pack of 20 from Sam's club and it sucks. It doesn't dry up the car at all.

I also bought a Griot's garage microfiber and at first it was great but after a year's use, it doesn't work nearly as well. Will the ones that sponsors here sell last longer? Thanks

Edwin

Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by PrecisionPorsch
Sham Wow is EXACTLY as advertised... SHAM!!! Haha.... I bought a pack of 20 from Sam's club and it sucks. It doesn't dry up the car at all.

I also bought a Griot's garage microfiber and at first it was great but after a year's use, it doesn't work nearly as well. Will the ones that sponsors here sell last longer? Thanks

Edwin
We may not have the flair that Vince does, but our towels work much better. Give them a try. Here's a special:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ing-Kit/Detail

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm using the waffle weave microfiber from Moe, and it works great. I follow it up with quick detailer and some uber Microfiber towels. Make sure you get micro restore to wash the microfibers regularly.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by v35
I'm using the waffle weave microfiber from Moe, and it works great. I follow it up with quick detailer and some uber Microfiber towels. Make sure you get micro restore to wash the microfibers regularly.
Great to hear you liked our towels. And good point about the micro restore...it makes a big difference using it rather than laundry detergent

Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM
nlpamg is infamous around these parts
I'm going to give another thumbs up for the waffle weave towels from Moe. They may be somewhat pricey, but they're well worth it (esp. since I got mine for free with the order of the CRSpotless).

They are hands down the best drying towel I've used. I've used many from Meguiar's, leather chamois to plain microfiber and this has to be the best. It's just like using a California Water Blade but much safer on your car.

I generally use the waffle weave and then touch up with a microfiber towel.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by nlpamg
I'm going to give another thumbs up for the waffle weave towels from Moe. They may be somewhat pricey, but they're well worth it (esp. since I got mine for free with the order of the CRSpotless).

They are hands down the best drying towel I've used. I've used many from Meguiar's, leather chamois to plain microfiber and this has to be the best. It's just like using a California Water Blade but much safer on your car.

I generally use the waffle weave and then touch up with a microfiber towel.
Glad you like the towels too...our prices are very competitive but may not be the cheapest. That's because I try and carry things that are based on quality rather than price. Our vendors and distributors know we only want the best quality and are willing to pay a little more for it.

I'm also hoping that the education and hands-on info I give you guys warrants the slight price difference with others that simply discount everything to get things off the shelves. I think I speak for the other vendors on this board, customer service and education comes first. We all try and give you guys the best advice, the best products, at the most competitive price we're able to do. Thanks for all your support. It's because of you guys that we can still be around and share our passion with you.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 AM
davesfo is infamous around these parts
shamwow

Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
6.1speed is infamous around these parts
I wanna give it a try.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by 6.1speed
I wanna give it a try.
Here's a kit that would be a great starter:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ing-Kit/Detail

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best drying towel?