Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best leather cleaner/conditioner for Mercedes G55 with Nappa leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
factoryKITTED is infamous around these parts
Best leather cleaner/conditioner for Mercedes G55 with Nappa leather

Some say Leatherique cleaner and conditioner....other says Zaino Z9 and Z10.

I have the designo charcoal Nappa leather in my 2006 Mercedes G55, which i assume is "uncoated'' leather.

My leather looks very nice but i have never given it a good clean and condition.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by factoryKITTED
Some say Leatherique cleaner and conditioner....other says Zaino Z9 and Z10.

I have the designo charcoal Nappa leather in my 2006 Mercedes G55, which i assume is "uncoated'' leather.

My leather looks very nice but i have never given it a good clean and condition.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
That's a very nice option on the G55. The "look" it should have is a satin soft look. To clean that leather, you can use Autoglym Interior Shampoo as it will do a great job of safely lifting dirt, oils, and debris from the hide. Once you've done that, a good leather conditioner with vitamin e and aloe should keep everything protected. Two products I use and have great results with are einszett leather care and swissvax leather milk. I prefer leather milk because it lasts a bit longer and gives the hide a richer look.

Here's a promotional kit right now that would be great for your interior:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ail-Kit/Detail

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks Moe- does the condition have a smell to it?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Moe- does the condition have a smell to it?
Both the swissvax and einszett leather conditioner have a unique scent to them. But, after about 15-20 minutes, the natural scent from your leather comes through. Each car will be different since each manufacturer has its own unique hide. Both are a good choice.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
Those are great but you can also consider the Leather Master products.

Leather Master Rapid S (cleaner)
followed by Leather Master Vital Conditioner (conditioner)

The leather master is great if you want a matte finish and no scent to them.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Has anyone had experience with leatherique?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Premium Sponsor
Both leatherique and leathermasters are great products. IMHO, I think their strength is with leather that has been neglected and needs reversal of aging or damage. There's also some effort involved in both time and labor to use the products as directed. For that reason, we carry simple and effective products like the einszett and swissvax that I recommended. With that said, the two other products in consideration are well respected in the industry and offer good results.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I heard Leatherique has a chemical smell...any truth to this?

What about Zaino z9 + z10?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Moe - here's what im dealing with.

I have a 2006 G55k - front seats are starting to look shiny. Back seats have probably been sat in less than a dozen times - they look brand new, literally.

I also have a 2000 Ford Excursion - lets just say the leather is in need of some serious attention.

With that said - can i use the same products for both vehicles? It sounds like the Excursion would benefit from the Leatherique.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Another vote for Leather Masters.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor
Detailed Image is infamous around these partsDetailed Image is infamous around these parts

Leatherique
is certainly one of the best leather care options out there, on both coated and uncoated leather. If the leather isn't neglected, then usually just the Leatherique Prestine Clean is all it needs. Prestine Clean will clean and condition in 1 step.

Check out the results of a top pro detailer who uses Leatherique on his customers vehicles. If you opt for using Leatherique, I'd highly recommend following the steps outlined in that tutorial for maximum results. It will not disappoint when used properly.

Leatherique has a unique scent to it that is leather like, but will fade rather quickly.

If you have any other questions on Leatherique, please do not hesitate to ask.

George

Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Leatherique
[Leatherique arose from a need to find a product that would restore the leather in his 1939 Bentley. Nothing he tried was adequate for this special car, so he approached Peck about creating something new. After a lot of work, they produced Leatherique”] [Leatherique]

This type of top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, Lexus and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as Mercedes-Benz, Daimler AG and BMW. This is the market sector both Leatherique and Connolly were originally formulated

[Leatherique Prestine Clean is part of a two-step leather maintenance system. Step one - Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is a protein collagen complex that is absorbed into the hide to nourish it, and while it will expel dirt to the surface, it does not harm the dye in any way. This oil nourishes the leather and forces contaminants out of the pores.

Step two - Prestine Clean then removes these contaminants from the surface of the leather and leaves it with a clean, matte sheen. This is the only leather care system that calls for the conditioner to be used first, and it makes perfect sense! The leather absorbs as much of the oil as it can and expels the rest to the surface, along with all the contamination.] [Leatherique]

Comment
According to Leatheriqueyou apply the (conditioning) oil first and then the cleaner. How does Leatherique select between the oils that are provided to nourish the hide and oils (contaminants) that it forces out of the pores to then be removed by Prestine Clean?

They state that their cleaner will only remove contaminants (dirt and oils) but not the Leatheriqueoils. I would question how it discriminates between the oils that it removes: i.e. the most common soil found in leather upholstery is body oil followed by suntan oils and then oily residue brought in via the air conditioning system
In my opinion the chemistry behind the Leatherique system simply does not add up, whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process (i.e. cleaning and hydration) it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort. The products collagen and elastin proteins cannot soak in to finished leather fibres; no matter how long you leave it (even in a heated environment) simply cannot permeate the polyurethane covering and the sealed hide. But if you feel $70 is a reasonable price to clean a urethane covering that’s your prerogative

You should avoid using these types of conditioners for coated leathers. If you use an oil-based product the problem will be exasperated as the oil will attract dirt/grime to the surface. This product also contains lanolin, waxy cream and white spirit that can react with the coating used on today’s leather. It's a great product for the renovation or restoration of old English leather hides or other uncoated natural leather.

An extract from “Automotive Detailing, Inside & Out; Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist “© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Last edited by TOGWT; 08-06-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Premium Sponsor
Moe - here's what im dealing with.

I have a 2006 G55k - front seats are starting to look shiny. Back seats have probably been sat in less than a dozen times - they look brand new, literally.

I also have a 2000 Ford Excursion - lets just say the leather is in need of some serious attention.

With that said - can i use the same products for both vehicles? It sounds like the Excursion would benefit from the Leatherique.
It sounds like the G55 needs a good cleaning and then conditioning. As for the excursion, a lot of times, production cars like ford, honda, toyota, etc. aren't using "real" leather. It's either a vinyl-type of a product or a synthetic type of leather. Leatherique, I may be wrong here, is designed for real leather. I'm sure it'll have some benefit for the leather in the excursion, but it may be overkill.

I'd say you'll be fine using the autoglym interior cleaner and the swissvax leather milk. For cost purposes, you may want to use einszett Leather Care for the excursion,and save the more expensive and better formulation for the Mercedes. Just make sure you buy the 500mL and 1 gallon of the interior cleaner. You'll need a fair amount to clean all the leather in the excursion.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Leatherique
[Leatherique arose from a need to find a product that would restore the leather in his 1939 Bentley. Nothing he tried was adequate for this special car, so he approached Peck about creating something new. After a lot of work, they produced Leatherique”] [Leatherique]

This type of top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, Lexus and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as Mercedes-Benz, Daimler AG and BMW. This is the market sector both Leatherique and Connolly were originally formulated

[Leatherique Prestine Clean is part of a two-step leather maintenance system. Step one - Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is a protein collagen complex that is absorbed into the hide to nourish it, and while it will expel dirt to the surface, it does not harm the dye in any way. This oil nourishes the leather and forces contaminants out of the pores.

Step two - Prestine Clean then removes these contaminants from the surface of the leather and leaves it with a clean, matte sheen. This is the only leather care system that calls for the conditioner to be used first, and it makes perfect sense! The leather absorbs as much of the oil as it can and expels the rest to the surface, along with all the contamination.] [Leatherique]

Comment
According to Leatheriqueyou apply the (conditioning) oil first and then the cleaner. How does Leatherique select between the oils that are provided to nourish the hide and oils (contaminants) that it forces out of the pores to then be removed by Prestine Clean?

They state that their cleaner will only remove contaminants (dirt and oils) but not the Leatheriqueoils. I would question how it discriminates between the oils that it removes: i.e. the most common soil found in leather upholstery is body oil followed by suntan oils and then oily residue brought in via the air conditioning system
In my opinion the chemistry behind the Leatherique system simply does not add up, whereas leather cleaning and protecting is a relatively quick and simple process (i.e. cleaning and hydration) it seems that this system takes a huge amount of effort. The products collagen and elastin proteins cannot soak in to finished leather fibres; no matter how long you leave it (even in a heated environment) simply cannot permeate the polyurethane covering and the sealed hide. But if you feel $70 is a reasonable price to clean a urethane covering that’s your prerogative

You should avoid using these types of conditioners for coated leathers. If you use an oil-based product the problem will be exasperated as the oil will attract dirt/grime to the surface. This product also contains lanolin, waxy cream and white spirit that can react with the coating used on today’s leather. It's a great product for the renovation or restoration of old English leather hides or other uncoated natural leather.

An extract from “Automotive Detailing, Inside & Out; Knowledge Base for the Perfectionist “© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
Once again...thanks for the in-depth explanation Jon. Very helpful and it makes sense. The only thing I can think of is that there is so much oil that penetrates the hide, that the cleaner cannot fully remove everything, therefore, leaving behind enough oils and nutrients in the hide to clean, but not remove, the previous product. Another thought could be more chemistry based. The cleaner could be attracted to one oil but not the other...i think that could be done and could be this manufacturer's claim to fame.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Connolly Hide Food works and looks excellent. Worth every penny.

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best leather cleaner/conditioner for Mercedes G55 with Nappa leather