Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detail Issue with Rear Windshield!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Angry Detail Issue with Rear Windshield!!!

So I had my car worked on at a local shop last week (have used them for many years) and after they were done installing some mods I had the car detailed by a company they recommended. Needless to say there's a problem and I shouldn't have allowed the detail shop to work on it without inspecting the car first from the first shop because now both places are blaming the issue on the other.

Basically, I picked up my car from the detailer's and noticed while driving away in my rear view mirror a haze of sort in the rear windshield (kind of like a small section of wax was still on the rear windshield). I thought nothing of it since it was probably just a missed spot the detailer overlooked and I would wipe it away once I get home. Now after multiple of attempts with glass cleaner, goo gone, and even a raxor blade I can't figure what it is. It looks like some type of aersol spray on the outer glass left a permenant etching or residue in the glass itself (multiple dots). I've called the detailer and basically says he remembers it being there and tried to get it off but couldn't. I know for a fact it wasn't and can't figure out what the detailer could have used to caused such a thing OR a clue how my mod shop could have caused it by while aligning my car (leaning towards the detailer fault). I thought it maybe from the inside and on the tint itself but its definetly exterior. Looks kind of like something ate away at the glass (didn't think any cleaner could do that...). Well hopefully the experts can help me figure this one out without replacing the glass

Pictures are bit big but figure you guys needed some detail. Its obvious while driving because the sun bounces of it and from the outside very noticable when the sun hits it at different angles.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:11 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Did you try a bit of goo gone?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
yup, goo gone, glass cleaner, and razor blade. kind of feels like its etched into the glass itself...

Old 08-09-2009, 05:05 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Removing Water (Spots) Marks
Detailer’s may occasionally come across vehicles which exhibit what appears to be one of the following conditions: Water Spots, Etching or a "rough to the touch" feel.
Water doesn’t leave marks or etch glass; it’s the minerals that it contains calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) the spots are actually traces of minerals in the pores of the glass. They need to be dissolved into a liquid and then rinsed off. Alternatively they can be caused by industrial pollution (i.e. acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout)
There are two categories of ‘water spots’-
1) Stage One Corrosion
[: defined as a surface with light to moderate corrosion damage to the paint surface]
(Stage One Corrosion) alkaline watermarks consist of calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) both of which are basic (alkaline pH 10) that alight on the surface; ultra violet (heat) radiation (UVR) will leave a white ‘water mark’, the minute crystals bond to the surface, they will not wash off as they are insoluble and if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark, remove surface deposits with detailer’s clay and an acetic acid pH 2.0 (vinegar) to naturalise the alkaline
2) Stage Two Corrosion
[: definition when the dirt/corrosion deposits are no longer on the surface but have started to break down the molecular structure, leaving an etched or white haze on the surface after the stain has been removed, with moderate to serious paint damage]
Below surface (etched) acidic watermarks - are caused by an aggressive alkaline or an acidic solution (acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout) causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Unlike water spots which typically have a white outline of the spot, acid rain etching is smaller and you can see the damage in the clear coat. Etched acid rain spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more than one attempt to remove them. Acid spots require an abrasive polish to level the surface (some stubborn marks may require wet sanding) and an alkaline solution to neutralize them, simply rinsing a vehicle with deionised water or tap water activates / reactivates the acid concentrates.

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased “Detailing Technical Papers” © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks but I can't understand how waterspots can set within hours... They weren't there in the morning and I'm assuming the detailer detailed in a shaded area... Either way I'll try some vinegar and if that doesn't work a clay bar. Hopefully that will do the trick

Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Try Bon-ami cleaner. One of the best secrets for getting difficult water spots from exterior glass. Google it. It is actually been around for over 100 years. I use it when I can't get spots off with anything else. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
from the last picture you provided it actually looks like it is on the tint. Can you feel it on the outside? Can you feel it on the inside? Quite possibly if it is on the tint, that ammonia was used to clean the tint and it damaged the tint. Ammonia is a chemical that is used in some glass cleaners such as Windex.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 AM
I've tried cleaning it from the inside, but really haven't had the chance to lay down and really inspect it. From the outside it looks like its the exterior but I'll have to double check just to be certain. I don't use Windex on this turbo but have on previous cars w/o any issues... Really hope its an easy fix

Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Gently rub your fingernail on the spots. If it catches on anything or you feel textured spots that feel deep, it's something that has etched the glass. From the last picture, it looks very deep into the glass. It could be that someone might have confused some acid solution for glass cleaner when they sprayed the product directly on the glass. Have you tried taking some vinegar on a towel and rubbing on the glass? If all these methods fail, you may need a new rear windshield.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 AM
StrutMotors is infamous around these parts
I'm with Moe, that glass looks like it's been severely etched especially in the last picture. The first picture the white/lighter areas appear similar to the results of acid based glass etching of VINs.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
tried vinegar and clay baring it w/o luck. when i rub with my fingernails i do feel something so seems like something really etched into the glass. can someone tell me what kind of chemicals could have been used to cause this? will wheel cleaner be able to etch the glass? just trying to figure out what the detailer could have used to cause such a thing before I give him a call.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned
gm3184 is infamous around these parts
looks like it could be some type of metal does the first shop do any cutting\welding (plasma or oxyacetylene) something very similar happened to me at a local muffler shop.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
to be honest I'm not very sure if the first shop does or does not, but I know they do fabricate things so highly likely. My only issue is the pattern of the spots look like they came from a spray bottle and they are separated (a bundle of dots then a clean line and then another bundle). I'm so confused right now Well I'm having the detailer look at it again and see what he can do OR if he can give me an explanation and will go from there.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned
gm3184 is infamous around these parts
its the shower of sparks affect.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
another part of my confusion is why aren't the dots any where else, just one small section of the glass...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detail Issue with Rear Windshield!!!