Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Polisher Q. Flex, Porter, Girots?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts
Polisher Q. Flex, Porter, Girots?

I've always hand waxed my cars and now that I have 3 in the garage I'm thinking of getting a polishing/buffing machine. My goal is to not only end up with a better result than hand waxing/polishing but also to save some time.

I have two main questions:
Do these machines save time over hand waxing/polishing? I've seen some threads were guys are spending 6+ hours on their cars. That isn't a reasonable for me. I'd like to spend less than 2 hours on waxing/polishing.

What is the main difference between the different machines? I know everyone has their preferences but will they provide the same result?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H-MAN
I've always hand waxed my cars and now that I have 3 in the garage I'm thinking of getting a polishing/buffing machine. My goal is to not only end up with a better result than hand waxing/polishing but also to save some time.

I have two main questions:
Do these machines save time over hand waxing/polishing? I've seen some threads were guys are spending 6+ hours on their cars. That isn't a reasonable for me. I'd like to spend less than 2 hours on waxing/polishing.

What is the main difference between the different machines? I know everyone has their preferences but will they provide the same result?
If all you're looking to do is apply polish and wax more quickly, then the porter cable and the griot's will work just fine. Both will also do a good job of correcting paint to about 80%...but that's where you'll be spending hours, and that's not what you want to do.

The FLEX is a true random-orbital polisher that does not bog down or lose power. It's a professional tool that the DIYer can feel safe using. If you want a workhorse that gives you the opportunity to advance down the road if you choose, then FLEX is a great choice.

To recap, all the polishers you mentioned will do what you're trying to accomplish. With the right pad, polish, and wax combo, you will get better results than you're getting by hand and it may not save you much more time, but the results will be better with the same efforts as doing by hand. IMHO, flex will be a great investment and won't ever become obsolete. If you're trying to stay within a low budget, the pc will easily do what you're trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
+1. get the flex. the only way you will be able to get the car polished properly. normal claying, sealant and wax will keep it up.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
If all you're looking to do is apply polish and wax more quickly, then the porter cable and the griot's will work just fine. Both will also do a good job of correcting paint to about 80%...but that's where you'll be spending hours, and that's not what you want to do.

The FLEX is a true random-orbital polisher that does not bog down or lose power. It's a professional tool that the DIYer can feel safe using. If you want a workhorse that gives you the opportunity to advance down the road if you choose, then FLEX is a great choice.

To recap, all the polishers you mentioned will do what you're trying to accomplish. With the right pad, polish, and wax combo, you will get better results than you're getting by hand and it may not save you much more time, but the results will be better with the same efforts as doing by hand. IMHO, flex will be a great investment and won't ever become obsolete. If you're trying to stay within a low budget, the pc will easily do what you're trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps and answers your questions.
I've done more research and I think I would like to have the additional features of the Flex. I found this demonstration video on YouTube that has a nice demo comparing the Flex and Porter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1u...eature=related

So Moe when is the next Flex group buy?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H-MAN
I've done more research and I think I would like to have the additional features of the Flex. I found this demonstration video on YouTube that has a nice demo comparing the Flex and Porter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1u...eature=related

So Moe when is the next Flex group buy?
I greatly appreciate your support and am very happy to hear you making the choice of the flex...you'll love it.

I'm more than happy to put up a group buy if you guys are interested.

In the meantime....sent you a PM...