Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Tipping Etiquette

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docdan
Possibly a catch 22, but not for sure. The example in my life where this would apply would be where I can my tires changed. Since this is a semi-frequent occurrence, and the possibility for mishap high, I tip in advance.

The first time I used my tire shop, I went around to the back and found out who the team leader was. I pulled him aside and told him that my car was very valuable to me. I told him that I only wanted him to be the one who drives it and he should keep the keys with him. I wanted him to use my "soft socket" to remove my lug nuts as to not scratch the painted wheels. I also told him to use wood planks to lift my car onto the car lift ramps as to not scratch the front spoiler. I then handed him a $20 bill, in advance. He now expects this $20, but it is well worth it to me for the peace of mind it gives me. This whole deal makes him feel pretty important and he takes VERY good care of my car and basically guards it whenever it is in the tire shop.

I think you CAN tip in advance, as long as you're specific about what you want done. If you don't spell it out, you can't blame them if you're dissappointed. ( i.e. wipe down my brake calipers completely and dry my wheels completely with no water residue.)

Agreed. At the $500 and $1000 price points, the employer should be doing a lot to retain his prize employees so that the employees don't have to depend on a tip as part of their income. These price points are car concierge level services and you would expect perfection without a tip.

A $5 dollar tip at a $20 carwash is a different story.

Dan
Couldn't agree with you more Dan...thank for the real-world example. I'd definitely do the same if I had a high-end car I valued.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I have never tipped anyone up front for anything and I can't imagine why anyone would do that. I tip people when the job they do for me is worthy of it and for the sole purpose of motivating that same individual to repeat the performance the next time for which I will tip them again. At restaurants I'll tip based on the service and the fact these folks rely on tips for their income. Good service deserves a better tip than poor service in my mind and I don't fault the wait staff for the kitchens food when it comes to their tip. I've never paid for a $500 detail job but agree with others here in that I would tip the detailer for a job well done, up to 20%, only if he/she weren't the owner. The owner should be able to properly value his/her own time without me having to supplyment it with a tip.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dadio
I have never tipped anyone up front for anything and I can't imagine why anyone would do that. I tip people when the job they do for me is worthy of it and for the sole purpose of motivating that same individual to repeat the performance the next time for which I will tip them again. At restaurants I'll tip based on the service and the fact these folks rely on tips for their income. Good service deserves a better tip than poor service in my mind and I don't fault the wait staff for the kitchens food when it comes to their tip. I've never paid for a $500 detail job but agree with others here in that I would tip the detailer for a job well done, up to 20%, only if he/she weren't the owner. The owner should be able to properly value his/her own time without me having to supplyment it with a tip.
Excellent response...

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
With me it all depends; if i'm paying the owner of the company who is detailing the car then I won't tip; cause i'm already paying him for the detail that he's performing. But if a worker comes out for a company; depending on the quality of his work will determine if he gets a tip and how much.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Jean Claude is infamous around these parts
Getting a tip is nice. I price accordingly and don't expect a tip though. If someone tips I do remember it and try to let them know in more than words that it's appreciated.

Take that for what it's worth from a pro.