Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Preserving Brand New Leather Feel on Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Aticus is infamous around these parts
Preserving Brand New Leather Feel on Steering Wheel

In time, I've found that a leather steering wheel progresses from a brand new matte finish to a somewhat shiny finish from use; is there a leather product available that will help minimize this occurance and preserve the matte finish on the steering wheel?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aticus
In time, I've found that a leather steering wheel progresses from a brand new matte finish to a somewhat shiny finish from use; is there a leather product available that will help minimize this occurance and preserve the matte finish on the steering wheel?
The reason the leather is turning shiny is due to the oils in your hands. Over time, they build up in the hide. Clean the steering wheel with Autoglym Interior Shampoo/Cleaner then condition with a leather product like einszett Leather Care. Make sure to get the CCS applicator to apply the conditioner.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-924805/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...licator/Detail

Old 10-20-2009, 02:36 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Leather steering wheel
On most leather conditioners the containers label warns against its use on steering wheels as it will make them slippery and unsafe. Oil / cream cannot permeate the leather and therefore remain on the surface; the same thing will apply to seating surfaces
1.Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Master Strong Effect Cleaner) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) or a degreaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependent upon type and extent of soil or stain
2.Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process)
3.Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry
4.Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply a leather protection (Leather Master’s Leather Protection) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated)
Leather Master Leather Degreaser (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Leatherique has steering wheel kits as well. I love their stuff.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The reason the leather is turning shiny is due to the oils in your hands. Over time, they build up in the hide. Clean the steering wheel with Autoglym Interior Shampoo/Cleaner then condition with a leather product like einszett Leather Care. Make sure to get the CCS applicator to apply the conditioner.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-924805/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...licator/Detail
Moe, thanks for the advice and links to products that you've found to work; definitely will look into placing an order and purchasing some interior detailing products to keep my car's interiors looking new; this is just the advice I was looking for.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Leather steering wheel
On most leather conditioners the containers label warns against its use on steering wheels as it will make them slippery and unsafe. Oil / cream cannot permeate the leather and therefore remain on the surface; the same thing will apply to seating surfaces
1.Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Master Strong Effect Cleaner) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) or a degreaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependent upon type and extent of soil or stain
2.Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process)
3.Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry
4.Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply a leather protection (Leather Master’s Leather Protection) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated)
Leather Master Leather Degreaser (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.
Thanks for the advice; this is the kind of feedback that I was looking for; I have to decide on the above products or the products Moe suggested above. I definitely will apply the cleaners with a hard horse hair brush and try drying with compressed air.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aticus
Moe, thanks for the advice and links to products that you've found to work; definitely will look into placing an order and purchasing some interior detailing products to keep my car's interiors looking new; this is just the advice I was looking for.
Thanks Aticus...glad I could help. Look forward to hearing from you Sir.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Former Vendor
RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !RUFone Is a GOD !
Moe knows best! i have read many of his tech posts and they have helped me tremendously. great products too!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by RUFone
Moe knows best! i have read many of his tech posts and they have helped me tremendously. great products too!
Glad to hear someone reads what I write

Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
mkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura aboutmkell has a spectacular aura about
I've used the exact products Moe has mentioned on one of our cars since new and 20k miles later all the leather still has that smooth, matte finish. Still smells new too!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
what about staining the stitching...i have a black interior with red contrast stitching everywhere...i have been reluctant to do anything for fear of staining the stitching

Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 AM
chardonet is infamous around these partschardonet is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by handdoc
what about staining the stitching...i have a black interior with red contrast stitching everywhere...i have been reluctant to do anything for fear of staining the stitching
+1 on this. I have black leather with yellow stitching, and what happens is that when you try to take the dust/dirt off of the leather with Autoglym, it gets onto the stitching. Also, could it be that some of the leather dye gets absorbed into the stitching?? Help! please.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:58 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i just used klasse leather conditioner on my interior...did a great job, and no ill effect on the red stitching

Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM
pushtiulk is infamous around these partspushtiulk is infamous around these parts
Because it's a topic about steering wheel, I thought that this is the right section to post. A customer ordered this kit and he dyed 1 steering wheel. He was very pleased by the results, and also informed me that with 1 steering wheel kit can be dyed up to 5 steering wheels. The pictures below were sent by him to me. Sorry for the quality:

Before:

After preparation:

The result:

Thank you!