Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How to touch up stone chips through clear bra?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
How to touch up stone chips through clear bra?

Ok, I have 3M film protection on most leading edges/panels. After 6 months I have a number of chips right through the film. Obviously, it is not practical to remove film, touch up chips and refilm every time you get a chip. What is best way to repair chips until willing to remove film and redo? I am thinking of trimming torn edges around chips and do traditional chip repair, but can't level paint with 2000 paper or compound as paint and film are at different levels...

Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by obsessed
Ok, I have 3M film protection on most leading edges/panels. After 6 months I have a number of chips right through the film. Obviously, it is not practical to remove film, touch up chips and refilm every time you get a chip. What is best way to repair chips until willing to remove film and redo? I am thinking of trimming torn edges around chips and do traditional chip repair, but can't level paint with 2000 paper or compound as paint and film are at different levels...

Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
The other problem you may run into is that the film may be slightly dull compared to the fresh touch up and clear. Don't trim around the chips..you may cut through and damage the paint. I'd simply get the porsche paint, it'll come in two vials...base coat (color) and clear coat. Use just the base coat and see how it looks. If it looks really dull, then dab a little clear on it. Get yorself a really fine camel hair brush from an art store or craft store. Much better than the one that comes from the factory. Good luck and show us how it all turns out.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
You're honestly much better off waiting until you can remove and replace the film. We have several customers who change film every race season. The Venture Shield film is a little stronger than the 3M, as it has a little more "give" in the film.

John

Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, I suspect you are right that replacement is the best approach but, I will admit $1300 for film every time it gets punctured or even once a season really wasn't in my plan. I fit in track 23 days (33 if you double count the days my son also ran the car in different run groups) in 5 months this track season so would need to budget another $56/ day for film, on top of all the regular brake pads, rotors, brake fluid and other routine track expenses. I have a couple chips in each front panel and in rear flares at this point and I would risk getting the same or similar damage "the day after replacement" - which is also a significant deterrent to immediate replacement.

For the moment, I used traditional touch up of chips that went to or through primer as best I could using the toothpick painting technique, trying to leave touchup slightly below level of the film. Tried to use very little Prepsol to clean to avoid removing adhesive from the film at punture edges (damp not wet Q-tip to clean). Figure when I do redo the film I can "touchup the touchup". The chips are much less noticable with primer/metal covered.

Will have to decide how often I can afford and am willing to pay for new film, knowing the new film could get similar damage the day after installation. Sure wouldn't go to track for advanced sessions without the film, but not sure how frequently I am willing to replace it...

Last edited by obsessed; 11-06-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i actually have some also...when it is bad enough i am gonna remove it, use dr colorchip to blend away the defects, and redo it

Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 AM
SoCalFS is infamous around these parts
To reduce the cost replace only those pieces that have the most damage, be sure to replace with VentureShield as it is quite stronger.

Keep in mind that if you are replacing the hood, you might want to also repair the fenders to keep a uniformed look on surface.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:10 PM
[quote=SoCalFS;2617995]To reduce the cost replace only those pieces that have the most damage, be sure to replace with VentureShield as it is quite stronger.

That's the approach that makes sense to me. Of course, the main issue is the front end which is largest, most complex and expensive section. It will be painful to replace and have more chips the first time on the track afterward... May just leave it a while longer - lightning and stones aren't likely to strike twice in the same spot, right?