Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Foam Gun Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 AM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Foam Gun Question

I just picked up a foam gun and was wondering if the experts could provide a little insight. I have used it once and just want to make sure what I am doing is correct. I sprayed the entire car and let it dwell and then I had a bucket with fresh water to dip and clean my sheepskin mit. I started at the top and washed the top of the car and then rinsed the top but obviously when you rinse the top it rinses off any foam you have sprayed so I pretty much foamed, washed, rinsed and then repeated the process. Is this correct or am I a moron (no comments please). Should I have a bucket of soapy water as well, and if so, is the foam gun just for the initial soak? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 AM
ZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant future
I prefer and recommend using a soapy bucket as well.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Jean Claude is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ZaneO
I prefer and recommend using a soapy bucket as well.

This

Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor
Detailed Image is infamous around these partsDetailed Image is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tblountman
I just picked up a foam gun and was wondering if the experts could provide a little insight. I have used it once and just want to make sure what I am doing is correct. I sprayed the entire car and let it dwell and then I had a bucket with fresh water to dip and clean my sheepskin mit. I started at the top and washed the top of the car and then rinsed the top but obviously when you rinse the top it rinses off any foam you have sprayed so I pretty much foamed, washed, rinsed and then repeated the process. Is this correct or am I a moron (no comments please). Should I have a bucket of soapy water as well, and if so, is the foam gun just for the initial soak? Thanks for the help.
The idea behind using the foam gun is to pre-soak your vehicle prior to the full 2 bucket wash system. It's an extra layer of pre-caution as you aren't relying on your mitt or sponge to apply the suds to the paint which needs friction to do so. By pre-soaking your vehicle, the suds can start working on lifting dirt and contamination prior to touching your paint with your wash media. This helps you minimize adding swirls and other imperfections in the paint. It also helps you clean hard to reach areas, such as wheel wells, parts of the under carriage, etc.

Think of the foam gun as a compliment to the traditional 2 bucket wash system, not a replacement.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:04 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
The idea behind using the foam gun is to pre-soak your vehicle prior to the full 2 bucket wash system. It's an extra layer of pre-caution as you aren't relying on your mitt or sponge to apply the suds to the paint which needs friction to do so. By pre-soaking your vehicle, the suds can start working on lifting dirt and contamination prior to touching your paint with your wash media. This helps you minimize adding swirls and other imperfections in the paint. It also helps you clean hard to reach areas, such as wheel wells, parts of the under carriage, etc.

Think of the foam gun as a compliment to the traditional 2 bucket wash system, not a replacement.

Hope this helps.
Thats the info I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 AM
fastsvo is infamous around these parts
where can I find one of these foam guns?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor
Detailed Image is infamous around these partsDetailed Image is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fastsvo
where can I find one of these foam guns?
Here's a link to the Gilmour Foammaster II. Be sure to check our foam gun packages also listed on the product page if you're looking for a complete wash setup.

If you have any questions on anything, let me know.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
RichardF is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Here's a link to the Gilmour Foammaster II. Be sure to check our foam gun packages also listed on the product page if you're looking for a complete wash setup.

If you have any questions on anything, let me know.
Looks like a good deal.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Foam Gun
By pre-soaking your vehicle, the car wash concentrate can start working on lifting dirt and contamination prior to touching your paint with your wash media. This helps you minimize adding swirls and other imperfections in the paint. It also helps you clean hard to reach areas, such as wheel wells, parts of the under carriage, etc. The foam gun is a compliment to the traditional two bucket wash system, not a replacement.
Pre-soaking a paint surface is proven to be an efficient method to loosen surface oil, grease and road debris; along with proper washing technique, utilizing a two-bucket with Grit Guard system. The principle behind a foam gun is to minimize the amount of paint surface friction necessary to clean the vehicle by pre-soaking it with foam. The foam starts loosening the dirt and lubricating the paint surface immediately, thus gentle touch washing with a soft mitt substantially decreases the risk of micro-marring because the paint is covered in a layer of lubrication.
Using a Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun only requires a rinse bucket, because there is no need for a wash bucket. With this wash method you further minimize adding surface imperfections (scratches) to your paint. You foam the car, wipe it with your media, and rinse the media in the bucket, repeat. The main benefit is that you can pre-soak your vehicle with shampoo without the need to touch your paint. This allows the surfactants in the wash concentrate to lift contamination from the surface of your vehicle and hold it in suspension, which helps the foam stick to the surface longer for a deeper clean. The soils can then be safely rinsed away
Specification
· Water Pressure - 40 to 90 psi (for maximum accuracy 40 to 60 psi)
· Output - 1-1.5 gallons per minute
· Spray Pattern - Foaming attachment provides a fan spray or removes for a solid stream. Deflector attachment for non foaming fan spray pattern.
· Anti-siphon - Protects potable water supply.
· Standard Single Ratio - (b) 4fl oz per gallon of solution sprayed.
· Customized Ratios - Can be set from 0.25oz per gallon to 14oz per gallon. (Note: this range is affected by the viscosity of the chemical.)
· The multi-ratio injector offers five settings to adjust the dilution rate from 1 oz. / gal. (a) 2 oz. / gal. (b) 4 oz. / gal.(c) 6 oz. / gal (d) 12 oz. / gal (e) and a built-in filters ensure any sediment in the water supply is removed before it reaches your vehicle
· After each use, rinse the nozzle and foaming mechanism with clean water to remove any soap residue. This will prevent soapy build-up inside the nozzle and on the brass mechanisms. With regular cleaning, it will give you years of trouble-free performance
· Available in two sizes: 75QGFMR - Quart Foam Gun - 95HGFMR - Half Gallon Foam Gun, both with multi-ratio stem to adjust mix ratios and deflector.
· Purchase the unit with brass fittings ( not plastic) as they will last longer
Filling the Foam Gun
Pour the appropriate amount of wash concentrate (Chemical Guy’s Citrus Based High-Performance Wash or DPXtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo)
1. Pour some wash concentrate into the foam gun tank and fill the remainder with clean water.
2. Adjust the dial to the appropriate dilution setting
3. Shake the foam gun tank to mix the shampoo and water.
4. Attach the foam gun tank to the foam gun nozzle

An extract from “Automotive Detailing, Inside & Out”, a knowledge base for the perfectionist © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
YseanY is infamous around these parts
sorry to go off topic, but i'm looking to pick one up. anyone running a black friday or cyber monday special on foam guns?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
I don’t manufacture, sell or have any vested interest in any of the products mentioned; just an unbiased opinion, other manufacturers products may work equally well. I have tested the products mentioned and have found that they will perform the task more than adequately (does what it says on the tin) using the methodology and tools cited.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by YseanY
sorry to go off topic, but i'm looking to pick one up. anyone running a black friday or cyber monday special on foam guns?
We have a big holiday promo going out in our newsletter later tonight. If you're on our newsletter list you'll be notified via e-mail of the coupon code, if not be sure to check our site banner for the code as well.

If you have any questions on the foam gun, let me know.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:14 PM
cmoore1 is infamous around these parts
Go to Amazon.com "Gilmore foam gun" $37 with free shipping.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Why wouldn't you want to rinse after the foam sits for a while? This way you remove any grit etc that has been loosed BEFORE you put your mitt onto the paint???

Old 11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cmoore1
Go to Amazon.com "Gilmore foam gun" $37 with free shipping.

Does anyone know if these can be connected to a pressure washer? I have a Karcher unit and I assume the Karcher connections are standard pressure washer type connections.

Adam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Foam Gun Question