Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Car Washes and Pressure washers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Question Car Washes and Pressure washers

The kind you drive through or hold the wand. Does any of the pros recommend using them for anything or at all?

I do on occasion like the other day to get the road grime from driving in the snow. I went to the car wash as it was only 34 degrees and it was the fast way to get the grime off the car before I touched it w/ a towel and sponge.

Also, I have a pressure washer at the house, I use the gentle nozzle every now and then when I am using it on something else and have it out and time to clean my car. So, give me your thoughts on the subject of car washes and pressure washers please.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Pressure washers are you friend when detailing. Much easier to control the stream of water, and cleans much better. You don't want a high pressure unit, but gallons per minute is important. I definitely don't recommend a drive thru car wash though.

John

Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i bought a powerwasher from ace hardware for $100 or so, its not powerfull enough to strip paint but it cleans my cars really well, ive also used it to strip my deck

every garage should have one

Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I have a craftsman. I'll look at the GPM and the PSI if the nozzles. I also have a tank for soap and an attachment to make the soap foam. It takes a long time compared to just a hand wash and water hose for me.
I do like to start w/ the pressure washer to cut the heavy stuff off, then go to a hose and hand wash to finish the job.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is infamous around these parts
I think that the drive through Car Washes are ok, given the circumstances and the choices that you make.

If you are using it for the water, the rinse cycle, that is ok. When you start using the soaps, degreasers, brushes, or anything else, I think that is where you can run into issues. Your particular circumstances: snow, cold, salt, etc. are good circumstances for its use. Pull in, pressure wash off the road grime using the high pressure rinse. Focusing particular on the underbody and the wheels, I think that is good. It leaves all the grime there in the stall, rather than your driveway.

I would follow that up with your own pressure washer and wash once you get home, but I think that is a good start definitely.

As for the overall benefits of the pressure washer, it is great for the "bang for your buck" factor and it is actually much better for the environment. It removes contaminants without putting direct pressure on the paint surface, so that is good for minimizing defects. Our favorite benefit however, is its low water volume. If you are using a resin based Spotless Water System like our CR Spotless, the system has a finite water volume that it can deliver without spots. Using a pressure washer allows you to detail a car while using significantly less water, maximizing the life of your Spotless Water System.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM
oatmealadam is infamous around these parts
Touchless car washes ONLY, all it is is high pressure warm water. Car washes with the brushes I stay away from ... never know if it was a muddy pick up truck that went through right before you take your beautiful Porsche through after

Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by oatmealadam
Touchless car washes ONLY, all it is is high pressure warm water. Car washes with the brushes I stay away from ... never know if it was a muddy pick up truck that went through right before you take your beautiful Porsche through after
Basic Cleaning Requirements:
Three types of energy are required;
1. Chemical energy- provided by the synthetic cleaner
2. Mechanical energy (agitation) provided by machine or hand
3. Thermal energy -provided by warm or hot water.

Without agitation a strong dtergent is required to clean the paint surface, which will strip the protective layer (wax and / or sealant)

Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by oatmealadam
That's my thinking, too. I have a touchless wash right near my house that I'll run through every now and then when I'm feeling too lazy to hand wash. It does a good enough job to get the surface dirt off. I follow that up with some Sonus Acrylic Spritz detailer and she shines like a diamond

Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Many "touchless" car washes recycle their water. Watch out for spots.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
Many "touchless" car washes recycle their water. Watch out for spots.
Very true... The touchless that I use gives you a "spot-free rinse" at the end before the drying, but it will still spot if you let it sit . That's why I always follow-up with a detail spray afterward to keep her shiny

Old 01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
Very true... The touchless that I use gives you a "spot-free rinse" at the end before the drying, but it will still spot if you let it sit . That's why I always follow-up with a detail spray afterward to keep her shiny
Great idea...lots of car washes use recycled water.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned
Got_Leather is infamous around these parts
Just like TOGWT said, the type of cleaners they are using in their "pre soak" or "foam" is extremely strong and concentrated. It will strip a good portion of your sealant or wax off.
The only time I go through a touch less wash is in the winter if the car is covered with salt, sand, grime I will take it through to get the bulk off, then come back to my house and give it an ONR wash, then I will re apply something quick and easy like Optimum Car Wax. Then hit the wheels and do the glass, and I'm set for a night out.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
As I have said many times...pressure washer + cam foam sprayer = car washing bliss

Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
KWIKSS has a spectacular aura aboutKWIKSS has a spectacular aura about
You guys are crazy!!! I own a Full Service-"drive thru car wash". We use fresh water only and most new car washes within the past 8 years use foam or a soft cloth for there friction. There is nothing going to happen to your beloved sports cars. You guys ever wonder how a touch-less car wash gets a car clean? Its not all pressure guys, they have to use harsher chemcials to cut thru the dirt and grim than a normal tunnel wash. So that wax you just put on your car last week, just most likely got eatin away by the chemcials. Being to low to get on the track would be my only concern going in a tunnel wash. Just stop in and talk to the owner or the manager and they will most likely walk you threw the tunnel and show you it's not going to harm anything. We run z06s and P-cars and Bentleys in our tunnel everyday. I'm in Texas so yes we have muddy trucks also, we just knock the mud off before it goes in. Besides the dirt doesn't get stuck in the brush materials. I've washed my Z06 and camaro in our wash many times and they still look like new. Not to mention the wifes ride..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by KWIKSS
You guys are crazy!!! I own a Full Service-"drive thru car wash". We use fresh water only and most new car washes within the past 8 years use foam or a soft cloth for there friction. There is nothing going to happen to your beloved sports cars. You guys ever wonder how a touch-less car wash gets a car clean? Its not all pressure guys, they have to use harsher chemcials to cut thru the dirt and grim than a normal tunnel wash. So that wax you just put on your car last week, just most likely got eatin away by the chemcials. Being to low to get on the track would be my only concern going in a tunnel wash. Just stop in and talk to the owner or the manager and they will most likely walk you threw the tunnel and show you it's not going to harm anything. We run z06s and P-cars and Bentleys in our tunnel everyday. I'm in Texas so yes we have muddy trucks also, we just knock the mud off before it goes in. Besides the dirt doesn't get stuck in the brush materials. I've washed my Z06 and camaro in our wash many times and they still look like new. Not to mention the wifes ride..

Good to know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Washes and Pressure washers