Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

clear bra installation issue - pict included

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
clear bra installation issue - pict included

hello everyone. Just bought my 997 and the previous owner had clear bra installed on the hood, rockers, and mirrors. Everything looks just fine except for the darn mirrors.

You can't really tell unless you are looking for it and i want the protection but I can't stand how it's not flush.

I presume this is NOT normal or good installation? I can see how it might be tricky to apply film on curved surfaces.

Should I keep it as it is or remove it?

I presume I can get the film removed. Anyone in Northern NJ who can professionally remove?

Thanks!

Last edited by sbkim; 03-09-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
You should be able to get this removed and reinstalled. Looks like the factory Venture Shield pattern. I would tell your installer you want a bulk film install for better coverage. Site sponsor Phil at Detailer's Domain should be able to handle this for you.

John

Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Hi John - thanks so much the reply. Is this normal occurence around the mirror or bad install?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
It's not necessarily a bad install, it's more that the installer didn't care to make it BETTER. The patterns that come from Venture Shield "FIT" onto the car, but don't always give optimal coverage. We modify every pattern they have when doing our installations.

John

Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Aceum9 is infamous around these parts
I have the same thing on my car; I keep having to press it down. I guess it won’t ever stick after heat / sun.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Aceum9 - good to hear I am not alone. I didn't know if I just had defective piece or bad install.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
If you're happy with the rest of the piece, just have someone competent trim off the film which is lifting. We do this all the time for film installed by others with just has an edge lifting, instead of having the customer pay for an entirely new piece.

Matt

Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Anybody know if the lifting in areas is covered under the lifetime warranty?

Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor
Dtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the roughDtlng. Dynamics is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Aceum9
Anybody know if the lifting in areas is covered under the lifetime warranty?
Most warranties from the manufacturers cover the film itself and its durability, not the workmanship. The installer is who should warranty the work.

Matt

Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
HTP
HTP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by detailjohn
It's not necessarily a bad install, it's more that the installer didn't care to make it BETTER. The patterns that come from Venture Shield "FIT" onto the car, but don't always give optimal coverage. We modify every pattern they have when doing our installations.

John
Although I agree with the first part of your psot this is not the case here. This is simply a sign of a bad install. I would be willing to bet the installer did not use a heat gun to seal the edges of the film down... thus the lifting. Coverage is not his question... and modifying a pattern would not have done anything to help here. The installer simply rushed the job and didnt seal it.

SBkim, since you didnt pay for the install (and yo do not know who the installer was) you will have to get it replaced. Shouldnt be much though...

Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
JG GT500 is infamous around these parts
http://www.allinthedetailsnj.com/clearbra.htm

It's in Morristown - he does clear bra installs - maybe he can help.

He does a good detail, don't know about the filmwork.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Although I agree with the first part of your psot this is not the case here. This is simply a sign of a bad install. I would be willing to bet the installer did not use a heat gun to seal the edges of the film down... thus the lifting. Coverage is not his question... and modifying a pattern would not have done anything to help here. The installer simply rushed the job and didnt seal it.

SBkim, since you didnt pay for the install (and yo do not know who the installer was) you will have to get it replaced. Shouldnt be much though...
Agreed.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Everybody with good points here. The install had its flaws. Perhaps, if you could speak with the previous owner to see who did it for him so that you may bring it to the instlaler to potentially have this fixed. It is obviously a precut application, albeit, not an excellent one. Here are some pictures of a custom wrapped mirror (do note, it may be difficult to find a company skilled enough to perform custom wraps).

Bottom line, precut or custom, the installer makes or breaks the install.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 PM
mike5876 is infamous around these parts
those fingers on the bottom could have easily been finished correctly..just 5 more minutes and the proper technique would have gotten it right

Old 03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
do you think it is heat that is needed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clear bra installation issue - pict included