Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Staining from brake dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
oh58driver is infamous around these parts
Staining from brake dust

I bought a set of used Carrera Classic wheels, for use with my winter tires. They have some staining from brake dust. What is the best way to remove the stains and shine the wheels up. I’m not looking for Concourse clean but the best I can get. I thought about using some polishing compound but I’m not sure how the paint on the wheels will handle it.
Thanks for any help

Old 03-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by oh58driver
I bought a set of used Carrera Classic wheels, for use with my winter tires. They have some staining from brake dust. What is the best way to remove the stains and shine the wheels up. I’m not looking for Concourse clean but the best I can get. I thought about using some polishing compound but I’m not sure how the paint on the wheels will handle it.
Thanks for any help
Try p21s gel wheel cleaner and then polish them with Power Finish. Should definitely do the trick on most neglected wheels. Can you post some pictures...it would help fine tune product/technique recommendation.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm out of town on buisiness then headed to the 12 hours of Sebring. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is infamous around these parts
If the P21s Wheel Gel doesn't get all of the staining, you can also try claying the wheels. Just use a piece of clay that is almost used up, because after doing the wheels it will be 100% toast. It is a great way to remove bonded contaminants on wheels that look too far gone.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
If the P21s Wheel Gel doesn't get all of the staining, you can also try claying the wheels. Just use a piece of clay that is almost used up, because after doing the wheels it will be 100% toast. It is a great way to remove bonded contaminants on wheels that look too far gone.
Excellent tip. Every once in a while taking the wheels off and thoroughly cleaning them will save you in the long run if they start pitting from brake dust. Especially on cars with "racing" brake pads.

John

Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the tips.
As I said, these where bought used and I need to repair them. I pulled my orginal set off first thing and put on 2 coats of Rejex. You can almost wash the dust off with a hose.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is infamous around these parts
Rejex is awesome for that.

It is tough to put on wheels that are on the car because you want to lay it on, let it sit, and then make sure you get it all off. But every now than and then it is great to dismount the wheels, give them a thorough cleaning and hit them with the Rejex.

It will keep them protected, and make them considerably easier to clean.

For everyone who runs any type of aggressive, or especially racing only pads, this is a must. Those pads are super corrosive, so having a stout protective layer is really important.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-polish/Detail