Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Best Treatment for Porsche 997 Perforated Leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
Best Treatment for Porsche 997 Perforated Leather

All;

I have read about 100 posts regrading leather treatment and have a few questions...

1. What is the best treatment for 997 perforated leather? I do not want to clog the holes with product. So far, I see two choices as favored by members of this forum: Zaino and Leatherique.

2. I do not mind the labor in appying any of the products, but is the Leatherique too harsh for a 4 year old 997. My interior is in great shape, but it isa little dirty (Cabriolet) from dust when parking.

3. Does the Zaino combo give the same supple result as the Leatherique? Or is it close?

4. If I use Leatherique what do I use to keep it up between full treatments?

Thanks!

Bryan

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is infamous around these parts
I think that the Leatherique treatment is a great way to go.

I really don't think that it is too much for your 997. The Rejuvenator Oil is a great product because it is going to replace a lot of the oils and moisture that escapes from new leather from the sun and general wear and tear.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...tor-Oil/Detail

The process of applying it isn't super intensive or difficult, simply spread it on liberally using one of our Red CCS Applicators. The applicator will help you to coat the leather evenly, and let you get it into all of the hard to reach crevices and cracks as well.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...or-cln-/Detail

Once you have coated all of the leather surfaces with the Rejuvenator Oil, let it sit for a few hours. You will notice as it soaks in, that the oil retention isn't even, it will penetrate more on some surfaces and areas than others. You will also see that as the oil penetrates, that other contaminants will rise to the surface as they are brought out by the oil.

To clean the surfaces that were covered in the oil, use the Leatherique Pristine Clean. We use it in a basic sprayer and spray it directly to the surface. Using a soft bristled interior brush, agitate it into the surface to remove all of the oils on the surface as well as any contaminants that have risen up from the leather.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...e-Clean/Detail

The Pristine Clean isn't just a cleaner. It is also a conditioner. Although it isn't designed to have the same rejuvenating and penetrating effect that the oil does, it does have conditioning agents along with its cleaning agents to leave the leather with a fresh and new feeling.

In order to maintain the finish of your leather once you have done both of these steps, simply use the Pristine Clean once or twice a month. It will keep the leather conditioned, and its gentle cleaners won't pull out the moisture and oils that you put effort into putting back into the leather. That is all that should be necessary to keep your leather factory fresh for years to come.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Prestine Clean once or twice a month?? I realize the frequency with which you need to use that stuff is dependent on usage and exposure, but I thought this was around a once or twice a year treatment?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Regardless of product, the key to keeping it out of the holes is to use a good detailing sponge to apply, don't use too much, and don't push too hard.

I use the Griot's Leather Rejuvenator and it works well for the cost. Apply with these detail sponges, or similiar.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Prestine Clean once or twice a month?? I realize the frequency with which you need to use that stuff is dependent on usage and exposure, but I thought this was around a once or twice a year treatment?
Pristine clean is the maintenance product. You simply spray on a mf towel, and wipe leather down. This product adds moisture to the hide. You can use it as often as you like.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Fly
Fly is infamous around these parts
"Regardless of product, the key to keeping it out of the holes is to use a good detailing sponge to apply, don't use too much, and don't push too hard."

I thought you have to hand massage the Leatherique deep into the seats?

Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is infamous around these parts
I think that with the Rejuvenator Oil, you want it to penetrate as much as possible. I wouldn't be concerned with it getting into the perforations in the leather, it is actually the opposite. I think that you will want to focus on its application around the seams where the stitching is, and other places where the edges of the leather are exposed, because it is from a lot of those areas that it will absorb the nutrients from the Rejuvenator Oil.

We recommend putting it on with an applicator, not because it will limit the penetration, but to ensure that you are getting the coating even over the leather. Putting it on by hand makes it hard to coat the leather surface evenly.

So it is ok to let the Rejuvenator Oil sit on the leather for a long period of time and absorb, the longer the better the results.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Baracuda is infamous around these parts
I found out that using a MF glove lets you really massage those seats, a lot better than a applicator pad or a sponge.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...9/IMG_1891.jpg

Here is when i detailed my SL back din '09
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-my-sl.html

Old 03-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Greg Nichols is infamous around these parts
Is this leather "open cell" or top finished leather. If the later, Leatherique oil won't really get into the cells of the leather. Leatherique is best for open cell non coated leathers.

Cheers,
GREG

Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
Is this leather "open cell" or top finished leather. If the later, Leatherique oil won't really get into the cells of the leather. Leatherique is best for open cell non coated leathers.

Cheers,
GREG
It all depends on how much you're applying. The trick is to not slather on the stuff, rather apply it using a foam applicator. Wiping off with pristine clean should be effortless and will remove all the dirt and oil in the actual hide.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Greg Nichols is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
It all depends on how much you're applying. The trick is to not slather on the stuff, rather apply it using a foam applicator. Wiping off with pristine clean should be effortless and will remove all the dirt and oil in the actual hide.
Top coated leather is designed to resist oils from the body, the oils cannot penetrate deep enough to do a benefit, in fact any oil left behind will attract dirt. Dirt is what wears out the top coated leather.

You want to just clean top coated leather, and yes pristine Clean does a great job of cleaning. It will help remove dye transfers of blue jeans!

Cheers,
GREG

Old 03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
Top coated leather is designed to resist oils from the body, the oils cannot penetrate deep enough to do a benefit, in fact any oil left behind will attract dirt. Dirt is what wears out the top coated leather.

You want to just clean top coated leather, and yes pristine Clean does a great job of cleaning. It will help remove dye transfers of blue jeans!

Cheers,
GREG
To my understanding, there are coating on the hide itself that protect it from water to a certain point. This does not make the hide resistant to water, but a temporary repellent. The simple thing to remember is that real leather was once a living thing. It got all the nourishment it needed from the bloodstream of the cow it came from.

Pre-1990, most coatings were lacquer finish and post 1990, they're water based. Even if there's coating, the leather itself is still porous and water will penetrate it.

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil isn't really an oil-based product, rather a protein and collagen based emulsion. This means it does not get rancid and have an unpleasant odor if it penetrates through the holes of you perforated seats.

There is quite a bit of misinformation out there, and coming from an OEM coatings supplier, Leatherique has put a lot of those myths to rest for us. We simply supply the facts and hope the common sense outweighs the hype or marketing.