Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Quick Cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
akbjr is infamous around these partsakbjr is infamous around these parts
Quick Cleaning tips

I have seen some guys spray simple green cleaner dirctly on the car and wipe on dirt, bugs, etc. Does anyone do this? Any suggestions for a spray and wipe option to clean/shine the car in between washes? thanks.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akbjr
I have seen some guys spray simple green cleaner dirctly on the car and wipe on dirt, bugs, etc. Does anyone do this? Any suggestions for a spray and wipe option to clean/shine the car in between washes? thanks.
Good lord man. Please don't do that. Not only will you mar the paint if it's heavily soiled, but you'll strip any protective layer off....or worse....

If it's just a light dusting, I still try to wash my car. But if in a pinch, spray with a quick detailer and wipe GENTLY with a microfiber cloth. I started using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) diluted to QD strength. But most quick detailers should be good enough.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Definitely DO NOT spray simple green on your paintwork. Works great around the house, but your Porsche definitely deserves quality products designed to be used on it's paintwork. Here are a few that we use.

1z Insect Remover
Dodo Juice Supernatural Shampoo
Sonax High Speed Wax
Sonax Wheel Cleaner

I hope this helps!

John

Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 PM
akbjr is infamous around these partsakbjr is infamous around these parts
thanks for the info, I never used simple green as I did not think it made any sense. Was looking for a spray that could be used as a quick cleaner, maybe a detailer is all that can be done.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
ONR as a Quick Detailer
One of the first rules of paint care (especially noticeable with dark colours); the less you touch the paint surface; the less you’ll scratch it. Washing the car is the most efficient way of removing surface soil, dust, etc.

If you don’t have time for a two-bucket wash, then use a 1:20 Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) / distilled water solution in a fine mist spray bottle.
The surfactants it contains encapsulate and trap dry surface dust, pollen or light dirt particles making them virtually non-abrasive and it can be used without causing scratches. Apply with a long nap micro fibre towel using very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Great question, and all great answers as well. Too many times people reach for whatever is around the house to clean their cars. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would wash our white Nissan Sentra with bleach and soap. The paint never did have that showroom shine

But stick with quick detailers to wipe the car down and wash whenever possible. You may want to also consider one of our australian wool dusters. They do an excellent job of removing most of the light dust if your car has sat in the garage for a few weeks.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ster-gp/Detail

Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 AM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Anyone use a California duster? I have one and have used for years, but I am still always concerend I might be scratching the paint, especially since my car is black

Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
Anyone use a California duster? I have one and have used for years, but I am still always concerend I might be scratching the paint, especially since my car is black
I think they're fine with very light dust on the car. But my concern is after that thing becomes soiled. I've had mine for a few years, haven't used it in the last 2 or so because it looks like hell. Dragging all that dirt back over the paint is probably not such a great idea.

Is there a way to clean these things?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
I think they're fine with very light dust on the car. But my concern is after that thing becomes soiled. I've had mine for a few years, haven't used it in the last 2 or so because it looks like hell. Dragging all that dirt back over the paint is probably not such a great idea.

Is there a way to clean these things?
My concern as well has always been when the duster gets dirty. On a black car, I can always tell if someone has been using a duster like that. They're basically cotton fibers that have a silicone oil saturated in them. According to the manufacturer, they provide years of cleaning without the need to be cleaned. The dirtier it gets, the better it works. Not sure if it makes logical sense to me. http://www.calcarduster.com/faq.asp

As for what we use and recommend, All-Natural Australian Wool Dusters. These dusters simply use static electricity to lift surface particles and hold them in the fibers. Once the fibers become slightly twisted, you simply wash the duster using a mild soap, allow to air dry, and you're off to the races again. Great tool for when your car has been parked in the garage for a while and all you need is a light dusting. We even have a smaller duster for the interior. I have one in my wife's Cayenne and whenever I'm bored at the stop light, I begin dusting the dash, nav screen, center console, etc.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ster-gp/Detail

If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to do a group buy.