Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Paint chip touch up "HELP"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
Paint chip touch up "HELP"

I got me a small paint chip. The Size of a .... Hmmmm pin head?

No now will ever notice it, but I do

Does someone know of a post showing the repair process with the dreaded touch up paint?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Check out a product called Langka. (I'm not sure if I can post a link to a non-vendor site, but Google it.) I've seen people swear by this stuff. I haven't had a chance to use it myself, but I plan to.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
If you have the touch up paint, use a tooth pick to apply. Get only a little paint on the tip of the tooth pick (not a drop size). Apply slowly in a well lit area.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
Thanks for the tip's

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Mike, what color is the car you're touching up?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Mike, just get a small-tip artist's brush, something like camel hair bristles. It'll have a very fine point allowing you to kiss the chip instead of globbing on the paint. Allow the paint to dry and shrink, you may have to touch up a few times to fill in the chip. Fill it enough that it's barely enough room for any more paint. Then, apply a little bit of clear, usually comes with the paint kit you'd get from the manufacturer. This last step will bring the gloss to the paint and seal the chip. Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Mike, just get a small-tip artist's brush, something like camel hair bristles. It'll have a very fine point allowing you to kiss the chip instead of globbing on the paint. Allow the paint to dry and shrink, you may have to touch up a few times to fill in the chip. Fill it enough that it's barely enough room for any more paint. Then, apply a little bit of clear, usually comes with the paint kit you'd get from the manufacturer. This last step will bring the gloss to the paint and seal the chip. Hope this helps.
Hey, don't you have a Moe Mistry special detail to finish up ?!?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by INSman
Hey, don't you have a Moe Mistry special detail to finish up ?!?
Some guys grab a beer and chill when taking a break, I jump on 6speed and answer questions. To each his own....your baby is coming along nicely. Lots and lots of photos are being taken. Should make for a great thread once all complete.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Some guys grab a beer and chill when taking a break, I jump on 6speed and answer questions. To each his own....your baby is coming along nicely. Lots and lots of photos are being taken. Should make for a great thread once all complete.
Just giving you a hard time, now "Back To Work" !!!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by detailjohn
Mike, what color is the car you're touching up?
"silver"

Should I clean the spot before applying the touch up paint?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by h1sp
"silver"

Should I clean the spot before applying the touch up paint?
Silver is the toughest color to match. Don't even bother purchasing the factory paint stick, as it won't be even close. You have two options. Go to your local automotive paint store, and have them try to match the color, and they will probably have to add a ton of pearl to lighten the color. You could find out who is a good local "touch up" professional in your area, and they could probably match the color fairly well. With silver, you MUST put clearcoat on top if you're going to sand it flat, otherwise you will sand into the metallic flakes, and it will look almost black. We have a touch up guy who comes into our shop and he will keep dabbing paint onto the car in a spot, and keep adding or changing his formula to get it right. Best of luck.

John