Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Flex 3401 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Flex 3401 Review

So, I was a little nervous trying out the Flex coming from the Griot's/PC, since I heard that the Flex is much more powerful. The reasons why I decided to switch from the Griot's were that I was having a hard time getting correction with the Griot's on any mild/moderate scratches and the vibration was killing me. On 5, my hands were turning numb due to carpel tunnel. The machine is 5 years old and I hear that the newer PC/Griot's machines are better, but decided to take the plunge and try the Flex.

Earlier this week, I had clayed and did a 2 step polish (SIP with LC orange pad and Final Polish with LC white pad). The car did look much better, but no matter how many cycles I did with the Griot's, I couldn't get out a number of scratches.

Today, I started out with the flex on the hood. Started out with the flex on 4. The trigger device is a really nice option. Just pull the trigger to start out slow and then lock the trigger in place and it goes to the maximum setting that you have set. Due to it's forced rotation, the flex does have a little tendency to run away from you, but nothing severe. Overall, I found it a easy transition from the Griot's to the Flex.

After I got comfortable, I set the speed to 5. MUCH less vibration than the Griot's. In terms of correction, one cycle on the Flex corrected more than multiple times on the Griot's and the breaking down of the polish was much quicker.

I was truly amazed at the difference. My only regret is that I fully detailed the car earlier in the week and I was too tired to do the whole car again. I just did areas that had obvious defects. Moderate scratches and tree sap etching came out with ease after one cycle.

IMO, there was really no comparison between the Griot's and the Flex. The Flex is just so much better and much quicker. If you're thinking of getting a polisher, get the Flex. It's will worth the extra money.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the review. I have the new Griot's myself and I can say it's MUCH better than the old one was. I have had one of those too. I'd love to compare the two myself. I hardly ever use a rotary or my Cyclo anymore. Do you find the mechanism gets the pad too hot? The new Groits will rotate so hard on 5 or above I have had it detonate some of their (cheap) pads.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Do you not use the cyclo anymore Damon? I remember seeing some of your work over at Gloss-It. They were really impressive.

I have a Flex as well and have been REALLY impressed with it. I have nothing else to compare it to, but there are only very rare occasions where I needed something more/different. The only gripe I have found with the Flex is you can only use 6.5" pads on it. It works incredibly though. Glad to hear that you are liking your new purchase.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I didn't use the Flex for a long period of time, but I did not find the Flex breaking down the pad at all. When I touched the paint after a cycle, it was still cool to touch. I used to use the Griot's pad, but switched to the LC pads. I think that the orange cutting LC pad does a much better job cutting than the Griot's. Also the Menzerna polishes are the bomb!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Great review! Time and time again we stress to DIYers, there's no substitution for a professional-grade tool. We use the flex ro polisher on every detail...couldn't do without it. For those considering the flex, but apprehensive on the price compared to the PC or another polisher, SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy the right tool the first time. We've had so many sales of the flex with clients that bought a PC prior to buying the FLEX. Until you try out the FLEX polisher, you don't know what you're missing. Nothing beats efficiency and professional results.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gungriffin
Do you not use the cyclo anymore Damon? I remember seeing some of your work over at Gloss-It. They were really impressive.
I do still use the Cyclo once in awhile, especially for jobs that require a lot of landscape. I do still like it. I did this 997 this weekend as a matter of fact, and used the Cyclo to do all the secondary cutting and LSP application:

Every time I use it I like it. Again, I'd really like to use a Flex and try it.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 08-29-2010, 02:11 PM
RPGilberts87 is infamous around these parts
I use the flex rotary and those do have a lot of power! Great product to use

Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
howardnew is infamous around these parts
Is there a higher risk of burn or damage in the hands of a novice compared with the Griots or PC?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Probably, but I think that the increase in risk is pretty small.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by howardnew
Is there a higher risk of burn or damage in the hands of a novice compared with the Griots or PC?
With a little patience and common sense, there's very little risk using the da polishers like a PC, Griot's, or the FLEX. It's the rotary polishers that DIYers need to stay away from.