Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Wheel cleaner question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 AM
howardnew is infamous around these parts
Wheel cleaner question

Do the professional detailers on the board find any differences between Sonax, P21S or Einszett wheel cleaners? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by howardnew
Do the professional detailers on the board find any differences between Sonax, P21S or Einszett wheel cleaners? Thanks in advance for your reply.
I've tried 2 out of 3...einszett and P21S. The einszett is more of a foaming liquid and I found it dry too fast and not allow me to work the product with the brushes like EZ Detail brush.

I cannot speak for Sonax as I have not used it yet.

As for P21S, it's the best wheel cleaner I've used to date. Here are a few reasons:

1. No nauseous fumes from the product when cleaning the wheels. This is very important to me as the frequency of wheels are cleaned weekly and the harmful fumes we'd breathe in over the years.

2. Non-acidic based formula. With either the Regular or Gel formula, you don't have to worry about damaging wheels if the product is left on too long.

3. Spray and rinse formula with the Gel. Spray your wheels, wash the car, then come back and rinse the wheels and almost 80+% of the grimme comes off. For most, that's great. And keep in mind, if you have a pressure washed, you can get almost all of the dust off. For us OCD detailers, we still have to clean with the brushes, but you can do the method above every other time you detail, and it shouldn't effect pitting of the wheels. The regular formula will work too if your wheels are waxed and there's light dust.

4. The price is right considering the various sizes and how little product you use. Saves time and money...

Hope this sheds light. I know Phil and John will probably have a complete answer as they've used all 3.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Moe. I look forward to hearing Phil's comparison to the Sonax. I see he uses that product routinely.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
I sell all 3 and have used all 3, P21S is great and I've been using it for 20 years, however once I used Sonax it was all over for me.

Here is the family rig and Sonax...(2 plus months without a wash...)

The products in action

Wheels were extremely caked up with brake dust

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner in action!

Adam's All Purpose Cleaner does a very effective job of cleaning all the grime off the tires, readying them for dressing.

Clean wheels and tires

Prima Nero and Wheel Armour to finish them up.

Final results look impressive!

Click here to purchase

Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Wow that Sonax is actually quite impressive in those shots.
I personally have been using P21s since I heard of it on here/thru Phil and it's worked extremely well for me. However, I've found the old adage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" to be the most effective. I was using P21 at nearly every wash to get rid of the grime and etc for a while, but I have since sealed my wheels very well with Collinite 845, and for the most part, just my regular car wash soap and water has been pretty effective in removing all the daily grime. And if I get a light rain storm, I will quick detail them with some ONR.

When I do get some gnarly build up the P21s has been more than capable and more importantly very safe on my aftermarket wheels. I think if I do have issues with a very brake dusty car in the future I may try the Sonax, but for all intents and purposes P21 should be a pretty solid choice.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
I've found the old adage "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" to be the most effective. I was using P21 at nearly every wash to get rid of the grime and etc for a while, but I have since sealed my wheels very well with Collinite 845, and for the most part, just my regular car wash soap and water has been pretty effective in removing all the daily grime. And if I get a light rain storm, I will quick detail them with some ONR.
Best advice yet. Theres no reason to go spending money on wheel cleaners for your personal cars IF you protect and maintain them properly. Of course there are those cars with pads that just put out tons of brake dust and a wheel cleaner is a requirement. But otherwise, a simple soap and water solution is the way to go.

But to answer your question, Ive used all 3 multiple times. Sonax is BY FAR the best and most effective cleaner out of those 3.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I have started using this product this week- Armorall Wheel Protectant. http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33

It actually works pretty well! So far after a hundred miles, it's kept the wheels very clean.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
DetailedDesigns is infamous around these parts
I use all three. They all have their strong areas.

1z is a less expensive option that is still safe to use. It should be removed after 2-3 minutes.

p21s gel makes for a great solid cleaner. It can stay on as long as you want without issues.

Sonax is the strongest of the safe wheel cleaners. It should still be removed after a maximum of 5 minutes.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
RPGilberts87 is infamous around these parts
I used P21S and love it. I have read about the Sonax and that is on my next order actually. The sonax changes color when it "grabs" the break dust.. and it's really powerful

Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
All great thoughts. Thanks for your input, guys.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Iz and P21S (my wheel cleaner of choice for 20+ years) good 'maintenace' type wheel cleaners, Sonax a safe answer too a strong acid wheel cleaner