Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Polishing with Menzerna SIP and Super Finish: How many Pad "steps"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM
JoeinLA is infamous around these parts
Polishing with Menzerna SIP and Super Finish: How many Pad "steps"?

OK a few more dumb questions :P I'm hoping to make some real progress over the holidays. I've taped my sister in law's SAAB down the middle so I can get some before and after shots

If I use the wool pad with SIP, can I go straight to an orange or white pad with the Super Finish? Or do I need to go from wool, to yellow (SIP), to orange (SF), to white (SF)?

Also, I use IPA between each stage, but I've not happy with IPA prior to inspection as it seems to streak/haze/collect dust easily so when I shine my worklike (the $20 700 watt super halogen light from home depot), I don't really see a "mirror" finish with which to judge the results. Should I use a quick detailer or Meg's final inspection or the Menzerna final inspection product?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I would use SIP with orange, and Super Finish with white to finish. Wool pads are designed for heavy cutting, and you would use Power Gloss.

John

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh, I thought Moe said you could use SIP for wool through Orange, and Super Finish for Orange and White. I'm sure he was thinking that I'm too much of a noob for "POWER"...

Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoeinLA
OK a few more dumb questions :P I'm hoping to make some real progress over the holidays. I've taped my sister in law's SAAB down the middle so I can get some before and after shots

If I use the wool pad with SIP, can I go straight to an orange or white pad with the Super Finish? Or do I need to go from wool, to yellow (SIP), to orange (SF), to white (SF)?

Also, I use IPA between each stage, but I've not happy with IPA prior to inspection as it seems to streak/haze/collect dust easily so when I shine my worklike (the $20 700 watt super halogen light from home depot), I don't really see a "mirror" finish with which to judge the results. Should I use a quick detailer or Meg's final inspection or the Menzerna final inspection product?

Thanks in advance!
If you use our Purple Wool Pad, a hybrid wool/foam pad, with SIP, you should follow with Orange and SIP. Then finish with Super Finish and white pad. This is based on using the FLEX polisher.

If you get streaking with IPA, that means you didn't break the polish down enough and are rubbing polish with IPA. You know you're done with polishing when the surface is almost transparent and you can see your reflection. Top Inspection would work fine as well.

You may want to consider coming down for a private tutorial Joe since you've invested good money in the proper tools. An hour or two will shed a lot of light on everything and you'll walk away with a wealth of knowledge. We could even do a group tech session if enough of you are interested.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I would definitely be interested in a group session.

Honestly, I'm too cheap for the one-on-one tech session so I'm trying to steal as much info as I can from the internets... :P