Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Weekly wax after wash? Mixing different brands of wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 PM
JoeinLA is infamous around these parts
Weekly wax after wash? Mixing different brands of wax?

Any problem with applying a new coat of wax every week after the wash? I'm guessing at some point it's diminishing returns, but as long as it doesn't hurt anything, why not? Also, when people talk about a "thin" coat, how thin is thin? I've probably been erring on the side of thicker applications just b/c I don't want to apply too little.

And can you apply different brands of wax on top of each other? I'm currently using P21S 100% Carnauba but am thinking of trying Pinnacle Sovereign. Or if you like the look of a carnauba but want more durability, could you apply a synthetic over a carnauba?

Lastly, I'm assuming you can't really apply a glaze OVER a wax; you'd need to remove the wax before glazing...? Just thinking that it would be a way to hide swirls between machine polishing and, if you're doing weekly (or bi-weekly) waxes, then would the glaze last a longer time? Guess if I'm bored I could try this myself to see if it works...

Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoeinLA
Any problem with applying a new coat of wax every week after the wash? I'm guessing at some point it's diminishing returns, but as long as it doesn't hurt anything, why not? Also, when people talk about a "thin" coat, how thin is thin? I've probably been erring on the side of thicker applications just b/c I don't want to apply too little.

And can you apply different brands of wax on top of each other? I'm currently using P21S 100% Carnauba but am thinking of trying Pinnacle Sovereign. Or if you like the look of a carnauba but want more durability, could you apply a synthetic over a carnauba?

Lastly, I'm assuming you can't really apply a glaze OVER a wax; you'd need to remove the wax before glazing...? Just thinking that it would be a way to hide swirls between machine polishing and, if you're doing weekly (or bi-weekly) waxes, then would the glaze last a longer time? Guess if I'm bored I could try this myself to see if it works...
Lots of questions....sometimes forum hopping and getting tons of info isn't a good thing. But I know you're excited about detailing Joe, so here it goes...

1. 2-3 coats of wax spread out after a weekly wash, is just right. Any more, we haven't found it to do much.

2. Thins means almost transparent. You're not doing any good slathering more on...it all comes of on your towel.

3. You can apply different waxes over each other, but I don't know why. If you bought a particular wax, you want the qualities and the look of that wax to come through.

4. If it's a good quality Carnauba, P21S 100% is very good, layering it 2-3 times will give you excellent durability. If you want to use synthetic, apply that first, then the carnauba.

5. Glazes will just fill imperfections. They have no durability. If you've polished correctly, eliminated the imperfections, put on 2-3 coates of good wax, and have a great wash routine, you shouldn't get any swirls.

Hope this all helped. Try and keep things simple Joe and have fun with it. You'll get differing suggestions from many people and the forums have so much info depending on where you go. Just find out who the source is. I think 6speed has enough quality and knowledgeable vendors, that are basically on the same page, that you're getting the best advice from the best in the world.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 11-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i wax once a year at most. a good polish and wax like zaino lasts that long.

you have too much time doing it weekly!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
JoeinLA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive

Wow! I'll have to try Zaino.

And, yes, I'm enjoying life these days

Thanks!

p.s., I'm pretty sure one day I'm going to break down and buy that $2,000 Zymol Vintage wax. And apply it to all of my cars once a week. Ahh! Now I see why ppl have kids... I'll have one child for each car

Last edited by JoeinLA; 12-01-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 PM
extrabolts is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive

This is probably only true for a garage-kept, occassionally driven car. Not sure how often you drive that car? Most exotics would fall into this category. I'm not aware of any wax that will last a year on a car that sits outside, gets driven regularly, or sees rain. Even waxes that are designed for longterm durability, like collinite 476, are going to give you ~6 months under normal driving conditions. Most carnuaba-rich waxes maybe 1-2 months under normal conditions.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by extrabolts
I'm not aware of any wax that will last a year on a car that sits outside, gets driven regularly, or sees rain.
These arent "waxes," but check out Optimum Opti- Coat, not available to the public however. Theres also GTechniq C1 and C-Quartz.