Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Soap recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Soap recommendations

I have recently started using my power washer when washing my car. It has a low pressure nozzle and a tube that comes off of the washer that allows me to drop the tube right into a soap concentrate or something like that. I'm looking for recommendations on foaming soap or something like that. So far I've only found Maxi-Suds II SUPER SUDS SHAMPOO, but I'm looking for recommendations on what else is available. Also if you have a recommendation on a soap that I could use with a bucket of water and microfiber sponge as well.

Thanks,
James

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Assume you mean that you have a foam cannon-type attachment for pre-washing?
I don't see any reason to use the expensive stuff for that. Buy a jug of Meguiar's Gold Class at Costco for $9-12. Will last forever.

For the sponge/bucket step, I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash when I want to strip the LSP and Lusso Oro for maintenance washes.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
Assume you mean that you have a foam cannon-type attachment for pre-washing?
I don't see any reason to use the expensive stuff for that. Buy a jug of Meguiar's Gold Class at Costco for $9-12. Will last forever.

For the sponge/bucket step, I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash when I want to strip the LSP and Lusso Oro for maintenance washes.
Is the meg's designed for use with a power washer? That's more of a bucket soap is it not?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hot Shot
Is the meg's designed for use with a power washer? That's more of a bucket soap is it not?
There really isn't a soap specifically for bucket or power washer to my knowledge. I use it with my Ridgid PW and it's fantastic

Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I have recently started using my power washer when washing my car. It has a low pressure nozzle and a tube that comes off of the washer that allows me to drop the tube right into a soap concentrate or something like that. I'm looking for recommendations on foaming soap or something like that. So far I've only found Maxi-Suds II SUPER SUDS SHAMPOO, but I'm looking for recommendations on what else is available. Also if you have a recommendation on a soap that I could use with a bucket of water and microfiber sponge as well.

Thanks,
James
James, there aren't really soaps out there DESIGNED for a pressure washer. You simply use the the same car wash soap, just a lot of it. It's a double-edge sword IMHO. If you use a quality soap like P21S Bodywork Shampoo, you end up using a lot of it because the PW requires a lot. So that's not too cost effective. If you use a lesser quality soap, like the ones at the auto parts store, you can afford to use a lot, but many times, the soap is harsher than the good stuff so you strip the wax prematurely.

Best advice, if you're going to use the OTC soaps, simply spray wax or wax the car often. Otherwise, a simple wash bucket method of washing is the best IMHO. However, for you east coast folks, I can definitely appreciate the need for a soap-soak step with all the harsh weather. So perhaps buying the cheaper soaps and just spray waxing is the best option.

You can probably buy the soap in the gallons at a costco or order it from one of the vendors here that would sell in that quantity.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks Moe. I usually wipe the car down with Griots Speedshine after every wash anyway, but thanks for the reminder.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
fairway551 is infamous around these parts
+1 for the Meguiar's Gold Class. I use it with both a Gilmour Foam gun and a Honda gasoline power washer. Dilute the Meguiar's Gold Class with one part water to one part soap and blast away. It doesn't remove your LSP and does a great job of removing grit/dirt/salt without creating swirls in the paint.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Anyone use snow foam?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Is it me, or is he using some really high pressure when rinsing the car off? I've got a mini and I don't even use that much pressure on it when rinsing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq6t8...eature=related

Old 12-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Moe. I usually wipe the car down with Griots Speedshine after every wash anyway, but thanks for the reminder.
SpeedShine is more of a detail spray than a spray wax. But if it's working for ya, then keep using it.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Premium Sponsor
Is it me, or is he using some really high pressure when rinsing the car off? I've got a mini and I don't even use that much pressure on it when rinsing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq6t8...eature=related

Yikes!!! I'm betting that's the whole wash. I cannot tell you how much more microscopic dirt is probably left on the paint if that's the only thing done. Nothing beats a simple wash with a mitt and bucket IMHO.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:55 PM
tattoo996 has a spectacular aura abouttattoo996 has a spectacular aura abouttattoo996 has a spectacular aura about
3m brand basic soap and good.water source......don't let your OCD give you a headache shopping for soap.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by tattoo996
3m brand basic soap and good.water source......don't let your OCD give you a headache shopping for soap.
Actually using a good quality soap that's not too harsh is very important. Say you spend hours polishing and waxing your car. Do you really want to wash away the wax and the work you did to save a few bucks on soap? If the soap is not gentle, it'll strip the wax off prematurely. That's why the higher quality soaps not only last longer because you use less, but they also keep the paint looking better longer because they don't strip wax off as quickly as lesser quality soaps.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, using a water blade after just a touchless pressure wash is the perfect recipe for scratching the paint finish. I use the PW for a pre-rinse, deionized water source with CR spotless and a three bucket wash technique and still fear touching the paint for drying. Hence use the air-blower. I know I am **** but thanks to Moe (I got my PW, CR spotless and blower from him) car washing is a treat for me every single time. I use Griot's soap which is very mild and the beading from the wax coat lasts for a good three to four months despite my once a week wash.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Wow, using a water blade after just a touchless pressure wash is the perfect recipe for scratching the paint finish. I use the PW for a pre-rinse, deionized water source with CR spotless and a three bucket wash technique and still fear touching the paint for drying. Hence use the air-blower. I know I am **** but thanks to Moe (I got my PW, CR spotless and blower from him) car washing is a treat for me every single time. I use Griot's soap which is very mild and the beading from the wax coat lasts for a good three to four months despite my once a week wash.
Awesome!! Glad everything is working out and you're happy with the results.