Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Fresh Factory Paint Care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Fresh Factory Paint Care

I know that in the old days, cars came with a crappy coat of wax from the factory and really need a good coat applied to start. I would like to think that with newer technology, the factories are painting better and applying better protection before shipping.

Is it really necessary to get an initial detail on a new car right away or can you wait. Detailers say immedaitely but not sure if its a marketing thing or if its really needed.

Hoping to get some unbiased opinions. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I highly recommend getting a detail after taking delivery. Most cars will come from the factory with less than perfect paint, and contaminents all over the car, including rail dust, industrial fallout, and organic grime all over. The most simple thing you would want to do is clay bar the paintwork, and apply a good wax or sealant. If your new car purchase is something you really want to cherish, I would recommend to polish out the swirls, micromarring, and possible sanding scratches in the paint. Also now is a good time to protect your perfect front end with paint protection film. In NYC I would talk to site sponsor Matt at Detailing Dynamics, he's a really great guy, and knows his stuff. At the very least have the paintwork evaluated by a professional detailer. You would be surprised how many flaws can be found on factory paint, plus it's nice to get some paint measurements to start as a baseline if you want to have your car detailed regularly. Best of luck.

John

Old 04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
I agree with John.

The car CAN come with imperfections from the factory, and if the dealership preps the car, then who knows how itll turn out. If there really are no imperfections in the paint, then I would still clay and go over it with at least an AIO type polish. Something like Optimum Poli- Seal or Autogylm Super Resin Polish.

I also HIGHLY recommend telling the dealership to absolutely NOT prep the car. When the car is delivered, go check it out and have them remove the plastic wrap with you there. Inspect the paint for any serious defects (not imperfections, theres a difference). Dont let them touch the paint with any towels, brushes, etc. If everything looks good, then take it to a quality detailer and let them prep it.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:25 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I just did a brand new Mitsubishi Evo MR this weekend with almost delivery miles on it. It was pretty sad the shape the paint was in. The clay bar drug hard against the paint and it took 8 hours of cleaning and polishing to get the scratches out and paint truly "new". This is new paint under a 500 watt halogen:

50/50 of a quarter after a few minutes with a rotary:

And done:

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 04-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by detailjohn
I highly recommend getting a detail after taking delivery. Most cars will come from the factory with less than perfect paint, and contaminents all over the car, including rail dust, industrial fallout, and organic grime all over. The most simple thing you would want to do is clay bar the paintwork, and apply a good wax or sealant. If your new car purchase is something you really want to cherish, I would recommend to polish out the swirls, micromarring, and possible sanding scratches in the paint. Also now is a good time to protect your perfect front end with paint protection film. In NYC I would talk to site sponsor Matt at Detailing Dynamics, he's a really great guy, and knows his stuff. At the very least have the paintwork evaluated by a professional detailer. You would be surprised how many flaws can be found on factory paint, plus it's nice to get some paint measurements to start as a baseline if you want to have your car detailed regularly. Best of luck.

John
+1...couldn't agree more.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
I just did a brand new Mitsubishi Evo MR this weekend with almost delivery miles on it. It was pretty sad the shape the paint was in. The clay bar drug hard against the paint and it took 8 hours of cleaning and polishing to get the scratches out and paint truly "new". This is new paint under a 500 watt halogen:

And done:

Great work damon. 50/50 shot says it all. Nice to see you polishing cars now and not household appliances

Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack

And done:

is these scratches from the clay bar ?