Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Leather cleaning help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
kaischi is infamous around these parts
Leather cleaning help needed

I wonder if someone has an idea how to tackle this...

I accidentally poured a half bottle of Vitamin Water (berry flavor) on the passenger seat of my 2003 Carrera (leather sports seats). I didn't notice it since it slowly seeped out of a paper bag sitting on the seat. I think the car may have sat in the sun for several hours until I noticed. Now there's a crusty looking large stain on the seat that I can't seem to remove. I tried leather cleaner and also hot water with a terry cloth and soft brush, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kaischi
I wonder if someone has an idea how to tackle this...

I accidentally poured a half bottle of Vitamin Water (berry flavor) on the passenger seat of my 2003 Carrera (leather sports seats). I didn't notice it since it slowly seeped out of a paper bag sitting on the seat. I think the car may have sat in the sun for several hours until I noticed. Now there's a crusty looking large stain on the seat that I can't seem to remove. I tried leather cleaner and also hot water with a terry cloth and soft brush, but no luck.

Any ideas?
Order Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvanator oil. apply a liberal amount of the oil to the seat with your gloved hand or a paint brush and work it into the leather. Then close the car and let it bake in the sun for hours 5-9. Then all the staiin and dirt will rise to the surface. Clean off with Warm water and terry towels. Once the dirt is gone use the pristine clean. After the seat is 100% dry. I would suggest you seal the leather with Ultima Interior guard plus. it will keep the seats sealed and more easily cleaned in the future. If you want there is Ultima interior shampoo that may or may not do the trick in less time and effort. The Leatherique is much more through.

I used this method to remove blue jean transfer off my wifes tan leather seats.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JSF721
Order Leatherique Prestine Clean and Rejuvanator oil. apply a liberal amount of the oil to the seat with your gloved hand or a paint brush and work it into the leather. Then close the car and let it bake in the sun for hours 5-9. Then all the staiin and dirt will rise to the surface. Clean off with Warm water and terry towels. Once the dirt is gone use the pristine clean. After the seat is 100% dry. I would suggest you seal the leather with Ultima Interior guard plus. it will keep the seats sealed and more easily cleaned in the future. If you want there is Ultima interior shampoo that may or may not do the trick in less time and effort. The Leatherique is much more through.

I used this method to remove blue jean transfer off my wifes tan leather seats.

Good Luck!

Jeff
+1...good advice and technique.

Not sure if you need the ultima. Some routine cleanings with prestine clean is all that's really required to be on top of things.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...que/Categories

Use promo code FATHER15 and get 15% off qualified items.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:54 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
The cleaning challenge will be the removal of the food colouring (Allura Red AC, E129)

Use medium hot water to soften the 'crust' and wipe away and then use a finished leather cleaner like Leather Master™ Super Remover - for removing blue jean transfer, newspaper print and deep stains like mustard on protected finished leathers.

This product works, even when nothing else will. Often on light-colour leathers, it appears that the colour is coming off the leather because you can only see the surface. What has actually happened is a transfer of the food colour (dye) to the leather's surface

As suggested use a finished leather protction product similar to Leather Master™ Protection Cream - an aqueous (water- based) protector that places an invisible, breathable sacrificial barrier between you and your leather. This system is for you to protect your Leather first, and then follow a routine of cleaning and re-protection.

This way you are not actually cleaning the Leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. Since some leathers are very porous, the Protection Cream prevents stains from absorbing deeply into the leather and becoming nearly impossible to remove easily.

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-18-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
I am consistently amazed by the depth of knowledge freely shared on this site. Amazing!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
kaischi is infamous around these parts
thanks everyone for their input!

Turns out none of this works. Apparently the sugar in the drink caramelized in the sun and was "baked" into the leather, virtually creating a shrinking effect that actually damaged the leather surface.

So, my stain removal problem has turned into a leather replacement problem :-(

Found a place that will do the entire bottom of the seat for $750 (with Porsche replacement leather; dealer is asking for $1200 for the same job)

Beats buying a new seat...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting the outcome - THAT is good information and more proof that not only is sugar bad for you, it's bad for your leather seats as well.

Here's hoping that the repair job is satisfactory.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM
fairway551 is infamous around these parts
I think the moral of the story is ---- "it's a car, not a restaurant". Leave the drinks, food, snacks, coffee, slurpees, and ALL other edibles outside. If there's nothing to spill, there's nothing to clean.