Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ok, this question goes out to Phil, Moe, and......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
Ok, this question goes out to Phil, Moe, and......

Any other detailing experts would reccommend. I have a 2011 VW Touareg TDI Executive in Silver Metallic w/ Saddle interior. I've been a big fan of using Zymol Titanium Wax and I have been happy with it but it doesn't seem to last long with the shine and feel. I hand wash the Touareg every week and wipe it down at the end with Griot's Garage Speed Shine. I also clay it every three months. I know I'm excessive, but this is my workhorse Monday thru Friday every week, so I roughly do 35,000 miles a year and I really like to keep it super clean. I also run it through a car wash if I'm lazy, but I still wipe it down with Groit's Garage Speed Shine! What wax do you guys Reccommend for that soft wax feel on the paint that last longer and keeps the Touareg nice and smooth with that showroom look? Btw, I wax it with the Zymol every month. I would love some feedback from you guys.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 07-30-2011, 11:54 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
Hey Joe,

Well really if you want that showroom finish and glass feel I'd go with a clay every other time you wax. I use Sonax Nanotech Wax on my cars when I don't clay and when I do clay, I use zymol concours glaze or a swissvax wax. You say 3 months is excessive to clay but i clay my car probably every month . Between washes I use adam's details spray and a microfiber

Goodluck!
-bret

Old 07-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
What soap are you using to wash with. Zymol titanium should be getting to its end around the 3rd month. Here are my suggestions:

1. Use a mild soap
2. Use a better spray wax like Sonax High Speed Wax
3 Upgrade to Zymol Concours

Also, are you HD Cleansing prior to every wax application?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I'd go with a sealant rather than wax. You should check out the new Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Former Vendor
detailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond reputedetailersdomain has a reputation beyond repute
my suggestion and feeling would be that

1Z einszett Glanz would be great for looks on silver and durability.

On the east we have seen 3-6 months on Glanz.

Take a look this is my 10 S4 with the Glanz.

makes the metallic flakes pop!

As well Menzerna Power Lock would be a great choice!

Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks Guys for your input. He are some answers to your questions, I use a mild soap, I don't HD Cleanse before every wax applications, and Phil that is a beautiful wax job, I love the way the metallic comes out and shows depth. So I imagine some of you guys are suggesting to use sealant verus a wax, which one? What about Aquaeta? Swissvac or Zymol?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JPSJR
Thanks Guys for your input. He are some answers to your questions, I use a mild soap, I don't HD Cleanse before every wax applications, and Phil that is a beautiful wax job, I love the way the metallic comes out and shows depth. So I imagine some of you guys are suggesting to use sealant verus a wax, which one? What about Aquaeta? Swissvac or Zymol?
You should definitively be HD Cleansing prior to applying the wax. There's something that a pre-wax cleanser or paint cleanser does that allows the the warmth and depth of a carnauba to come through. For a while, we tested not using a pre-wax cleanser prior to applying a carnauba. Long term use showed us that the wax did not apply as easily or last as long when we didn't use a pre-wax cleanser.

I've had the pleasure of using many waxes such as swissvax, zymol, and einszett, along with P21S, and Sonax for over a decade. My longest wax of use was zymol as we had an extensive relationship with years ago. All the waxes above have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. The "look" I'm after on my vihicles and the ones we detail for our clients is a warm, soft, glow with great depth and color. The waxes that got me there were from P21S, Zymol, and Sonax. I found the glanz and Swissvax (Mystery), gave a nice shine and looked great, but lacked the depth and clarity I had come to acheive over the years. For that reason, we've gone back to using Zymol Vintage as our high-end detail wax, and use the P21S 100% and Sonax Premium Class Carnauba and Liquid Wax on other detail levels.

The choice of what wax you choose is your call. It's based on "look" and is very objective IMHO. All the waxes mentioned by me and other posters are in a category that will perform well and give you excellent durability and result. You have to ask yourself do I want lots of shine and gloss, medium shine and gloss and some depth, or medium shine and lots of clarity and gloss.

If you want the first category mentioned, then something like a zaino, Sonax liquid wax, or a rejex will fit the bill. If you want the second category, then einszett glanz, P21S 100%, Sonax PC Carnauba, Swissvax, will fit the bill. The last category, then I think the zymol is your answer. Just make sure whatever you do, if you choose the P21S, Zymol, or Swissvax, definitly use thier pre-wax cleansers.

Hope this helps.

Check out the wax kits that we have. That should be a good starting point:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories

However, if I were you, I'd try using zymol hd cleanse first with titanium and see if you get longer life out of the wax.

Use a mild soap like P21S Bodywork Shampoo or Sonax Gloss Shampoo along with a good spray wax like Sonax High Speed Wax.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks Moe! Great thread, one last question, are you saying I should HD Cleanse every time before I put a coat of Ti on? I thought once you have a base you build from there.

Thanks

Joe

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Premium Sponsor
Thanks Moe! Great thread, one last question, are you saying I should HD Cleanse every time before I put a coat of Ti on? I thought once you have a base you build from there.

Thanks

Joe
Your initial application should include claying and hd cleansing. If you're applying the wax every 2-3 weeks, then no need to hd. If it's been 3+ months since you last hd cleansed and you want to wax, then yes.

The reason being that over a longer period of time, there are more contaminants that have had a chance to bond to the paint. If you wax, without removing those contaminants, you're just putting wax on the contaminants, not the actual paint.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Thumbs up

Moe your the man! Thanks for clearing things up, I guess you learn new things all the time!

Joe

Old 08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Premium Sponsor
Moe your the man! Thanks for clearing things up, I guess you learn new things all the time!

Joe
Glad I could help Joe.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Here are some pics of the Egg.......

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...king-pics.html