Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

7 Hour detail on '11 C4... Q:FMJ Sealant then Wax.. must it be carnauba?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
7 Hour detail on '11 C4... Q:FMJ Sealant then Wax.. must it be carnauba?

Did the full detail this past weekend. 7 hours on a 2011 C4!

Here's roughly what I did:

Wash
Rinse car with CR-Spotless
CR-Spotless water in Grit-Guard and Optimum No-Rinse
Wash with GP Natural Sheepskin Wash Mitt

Clay
Swissvax Paint Rubber
Swissvax Quick Finish

Taped the car with 3M Painter's Tape (Blue)
Side Question: Anyone find sticky residue after removing the tape? I fear that it would interfere or contaminate the polish/wax.

Polish
Flex Orbital w/CCS White Pad
Merzerna Super Finish

Pre-Sealant
Swissvax Clearner Fluid

Sealant
Menzerna FMJ, waited 24 hours, washed car with Optimum, then 2nd coat of FMJ.

I'm planning to wait for 24 hours to let FMJ Bond further, wash, then apply 3rd coat of FMJ.

I'm planning to top it off with wax aftwards to bring out some deep color. I know that many people use a Carnauba wax aftewards, but I have 1Z Glanz (which is synthetic). Is Carnauba the way to go, or is 1Z Glanz wax ok? Or should I even bother?

Cheers in advance,

wolf

Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Wolf...glad you're getting into this detailing thing.

Use the 3M Delicate tape and you won't have the sticky tape problem.

My question would be why still put more wax on after three coats of FMJ?

What result are YOU trying to get? It's all up to your end "look" you're after.

IMHO, pointless to put 1Z glanz on after 3 layers of FMJ. If you want to enhance the depth and warmth, then put on a carnauba.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Moe! Other than the FMJ, i bought all my detailing products from you! so my detailing obsession is your fault But in all seriousness, thanks! I've never had a car look this good and the products you provided were perfect.

as for the look, this is the first time I've used FMJ, and i do miss the deep, warm look of which you speak. I wasn't sure if Glanz would give it that look since it's a synthetic wax. I guess carnauba is the best way to go to top it all off.
- Any suggestions? P21S? I already have Glanz, so i'm not sure why I bought FMJ as well.

Also, would washing the car with Optimum NR be okay before applying the additional layers? i don't want to strip any of the work i did.

Cheers!

wolf

Also, was using Swissvax Cleaner before applying FMJ appropriate in this case since I wasn't really applying a wax?

Last edited by wolfnards; 08-01-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wolfnards
Thanks for the quick response, Moe! Other than the FMJ, i bought all my detailing products from you! so my detailing obsession is your fault But in all seriousness, thanks! I've never had a car look this good and the products you provided were perfect.

as for the look, this is the first time I've used FMJ, and i do miss the deep, warm look of which you speak. I wasn't sure if Glanz would give it that look since it's a synthetic wax. I guess carnauba is the best way to go to top it all off.
- Any suggestions? PS21? I already have Glanz, so i'm not sure why I bought FMJ as well.

Also, would washing the car with Optimum NR be okay before applying the additional layers? i don't want to strip any of the work i did.

Cheers!

wolf

Also, was using Swissvax Cleaner before applying FMJ appropriate in this case since I wasn't really applying a wax?
Oh boy....I knew I was responsible for this

Well, I'm glad to be a part of something that you're clearly enjoying.

As far the wax question, if you miss the depth, then go back to using a carnauba and just layer it for further protection. P21S 100% is a great wax for the money and after about three layers, it should provide you great protection.

As for washing, I'm a purist. I enjoy washing the car with good ole soap and water. This cleans the paint better than any other method. Followed by a good spray wax and your paint will look fantastic all year.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Menzerna FMJ?? I did not see that on your web site. I'm a little behind the times on the newest products.

PS to Wolf - pics would be great - love to see the car

Old 08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Slik560
Menzerna FMJ?? I did not see that on your web site. I'm a little behind the times on the newest products.

We don't sell FMJ.

Only sealants we sell are RejEx and Synthetic Nao Wax from Sonax.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-polish/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...uid-Wax/Detail

Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Slik560

FMJ was the only product I didn't buy from Moe. i purchased it a few months before the rest. I also think FMJ is no longer made - they have an updated version of FMJ, i believe it's Power Lock.

As for pics - you got it. it rained today, so i couldn't do the 3rd coat, but i'll upload some this week!

Cheers,

wolf

Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Premium Sponsor
FMJ was the only product I didn't buy from Moe. i purchased it a few months before the rest. I also think FMJ is no longer made - they have an updated version of FMJ, i believe it's Power Lock.

As for pics - you got it. it rained today, so i couldn't do the 3rd coat, but i'll upload some this week!

Cheers,

wolf
The new menzerna sealant is called power lock. It's been around for about 1-2 years. I personally think it's a bit temperamental when there's any humidity around. I prefer Sonax Nano Liquid Wax instead.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
NOW I'm up to speed. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
some pics...

Attached Images      
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Premium Sponsor
some pics...
Looking good. Thanks for sharing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.