Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How do I choose the right detailing spray?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
How do I choose the right detailing spray?

Hi all,

In my endless struggle to become at the minimum a good detail hobbyist (and clearly I have a long way to go ) how do I choose the right detailing spray. Does it depend in the type of protection (wax, vs non-wax etc.), paint, washing habits, ???

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus (open to suggestions on other / better wipe-on protections). I wash my cars every weekend and use a detail spray as the final wipe down. I've been using an OTC spray and figure there must be better choices.

Thanks much!

Matt

Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Hi all,

In my endless struggle to become at the minimum a good detail hobbyist (and clearly I have a long way to go ) how do I choose the right detailing spray. Does it depend in the type of protection (wax, vs non-wax etc.), paint, washing habits, ???

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus (open to suggestions on other / better wipe-on protections). I wash my cars every weekend and use a detail spray as the final wipe down. I've been using an OTC spray and figure there must be better choices.

Thanks much!

Matt
A detail spray is mostly water and cleaners...designed to get fingerprints, light dust, etc. off the car provided it hasn't been driven.

A spray wax is basically like waxing the car as it contains gloss enhancers, wax, and is designed to protect.

Both are handy to have around. We tell clients to keep a detail spray in the car for when you get hit with bug guts or bird dropping. Use a spray wax after each wash to keep the actual wax rejuvenated and it will make the protection last longer.

My detail spray of choice is Meguiar's Final Inspection. Easy to use, works great, and smells nice.

Spray wax, love Sonax High Speed Wax. It takes a little getting use to, but once you have the technique down, the shine and depth it leaves behind is the best I've ever seen.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
I use adams detail spray ...good quality stuff...

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite by far is Gloss-It Gloss Enhancer. Smells good, goes on well (even on hot cars) and shines awesome. I have tried probably a dozen different ones and it works best. I have converted many to it.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM
ZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant futureZaneO has a brilliant future
I think many detail sprays do more than just clean or remove dust. Many actually add temporary gloss and slickness to the finish.

I like to use Zaino Z6, Duragloss FCS, and FK 425.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:03 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I mix my own with ONR. Works fine.

After a wash, I use a spray type wax to offer an addl coat of protection. Can't really tell the difference though when I apply it.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:26 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Quick detailers vs. Spray wax
A Detail spray (QD) is designed to remove fingerprints, light dust, etc. from the paint surface. A typical quick detailer spray is formulated with 80 - 90 % Water, 0.5-1.5% Carnauba wax, 0.1 – 5% Silicone polymer or Mineral oil, so they don’ have the inherent solvent content problems like spray waxes.

A Spray wax contains polymer gloss enhancers, wax, and is designed to enhance surface protection. To enable an organic wax to atomize it requires a high percentage of solvent, which when sprayed will remove and / or compromise the durability of an existing wax or sealant

Both types of products add a somewhat temporary gloss and slickness to the paint surface

Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 AM
dolce is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Spray wax, love Sonax High Speed Wax. It takes a little getting use to, but once you have the technique down, the shine and depth it leaves behind is the best I've ever seen.

Can you explain further? What takes getting used to? What is the proper technique?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM
griffinto is infamous around these parts
Adams detailing spray is great. I have been using it for years.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-11-de...less-wash.aspx

Old 04-07-2012, 03:07 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I prefer FK425.

I also apply a coat of ultima paint guard plus to help keep the finish nice.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
Application Technique

Fold a clean micro fibre towel into quarters and then spray the product liberally onto the surface of the towel, using very little downward pressure, gently wipe it off, then flip the towel and wipe again. When you see the towel start to show a line of dirt, flip it around and use a different section.

With it folded correctly you'll get a couple pairs of first wipe/second wipe sections out of it. But if you use a good amount of product you’ll get the towel pretty damp rather quickly. It usually takes 4 or 5 towels to wipe down an average vehicle.