Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Are these 997 Headlights ready for a restoration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Are these 997 Headlights ready for a restoration?

Headlights are showing signs of wear
I have the 3M kit shown below, but I'm nervous to use it. Are these lights worn enough to justify a full restoration? I'm afraid I will make them look worse. Any advice is apreciated.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
They don't look that bad...a good polishing would help them. I'd say skip the sanding part and see what results you get.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
That's a good idea. I will try next weekend and post my results.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Polished Headlights

I finally got around to polishing my headlights. I used the Trazact (sp?) wet sanding pad and the final buffing pad to get these results. I didn't use any of the sand paper as I thought it was unnecessary. I am very pleased with the results. No need to pay a detailer a hundred bucks to do it now! Here are some pics:

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Quick question....

Is there a sealer that I need to apply to the headlights after doing this?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@3dproducts is infamous around these parts
at least a good sealant - what do you have? I can suggest for you from the list if you have one

Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 PM
All I have are washes, detailers, and waxes (mostly Mequire's stuff). I'm about to invest in clay, polish, and sealant and a buffer to apply it all with. I haven't started on paint correction or any heavy detailing yet. I would like to really go to town on my car, but I have heard so many different opinions on products. I was thinking about just buying everything from Griots to keep it simple.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
You can buy from Griot's, but then you wouldn't be supporting the sponsors whose very advice you solicited (for free) when you started this thread.

As far as the different products are concerned, you're right that it is confusing. I just checked a popular detailing supply website and they offer no less than 33 different types of waxes. Just like with car manufacturers in general (Porsche vs. BMW vs. Mercedes) the differences usually boil down to a matter of personal opinion, as opposed to some quantifiable fact that makes one absolutely, unequivocably better than the others. If you stick with the name brands being sold by the forum sponsors I doubt you'll have many complaints. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Griots just makes everything simple, but I am leaning away from them now. I might still get their buffer unless someone can recommend a better value.

OK, sponsors, I need some recommendations please. I have recently applied Maguires Ultimate wax by hand, and it was incredibly easy to use. I also use their quick detailer and wash and wax in one.

I need to clay the car, polish it (mild correction), seal it, and then wax it? I also want to get my wheels in shape. Any help and actual product recommendations would be appreciated.