Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Restoring exhaust tips and exhaust parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Restoring exhaust tips and exhaust parts

What is the best product to retsore these tips?

I didn't install this Fabspeed exhaust, so I'm not sure what it looked like new, but it sure doesn't look shiny like on their website...can/should it be restored?

Tips

Exhaust

New Exhaust as shown on Fabspeed's website

Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Easy...if doing by hand, try P21S Polishing Soap first, then finish restorer to bring out the luster.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...21S/Categories

To bring out a shine like what you see in the picture, you'll to use a polisher and finish restorer.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 AM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
I've been looking at getting something for my tips. My catless exhaust absolutely kills them! Thanx for the tip

Old 02-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Spokes is infamous around these parts
I would just ceramic coat them

Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM
sdiamond911 is infamous around these parts
does this work for the piping of the exhaust as well as the tips? eveything gets that yellowed bronze look after a while

Old 02-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Spokes is infamous around these parts
Oh yeah, check out Jet Hot coating website. http://www.jet-hot.com/

Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Easy...if doing by hand, try P21S Polishing Soap first, then finish restorer to bring out the luster.

To bring out a shine like what you see in the picture, you'll to use a polisher and finish restorer.

Thanks Moe! I applied the P21S Polishing Soap and Finish Restorer with great results. I have only worked on the tips so far, and it was actually a lot of work. Scrubbing required lots of pressure, time, and patience. The results shown below took about an hour. I probably will not try to improve the rest of the exhaust system since you can't see it and the effort required is too high.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
lidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to all
I've been impressed lately with Giots metal polish. It works well for an amateur like myself.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
NikosF is infamous around these parts
Can one remove the tips on a 997? I tried using the P21S Polishing Soap and Finish restorer this weekend, but found it difficult to use sufficient elbow grease given how close the top of the tips are to the bumper. If they could come off (easily) it would make it easier to clean.

Even cleaning them in situ made a big difference though.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NikosF
Can one remove the tips on a 997? I tried using the P21S Polishing Soap and Finish restorer this weekend, but found it difficult to use sufficient elbow grease given how close the top of the tips are to the bumper. If they could come off (easily) it would make it easier to clean.

Even cleaning them in situ made a big difference though.
yes, and yes - they come off easily... you might have to hit the retaining bolt w/ some penetrating oil first but they do indeed come off very easily and are much easier to clean when off.

Grab your socket wrench and 10mm socket (I think?) and good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
yes, and yes - they come off easily... you might have to hit the retaining bolt w/ some penetrating oil first but they do indeed come off very easily and are much easier to clean when off.

Grab your socket wrench and 10mm socket (I think?) and good luck
Mine appear to be welded from this picture. Where would the bolt be?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
From the muffler, exhaust is truly only a single pipe per side. It gets split out (if at all) by the tip. The bolt is on muffler side before Y and should be towards middle of vehicle. Here are some pix of what your tips look like off to help. Once you loosen bolt (no need to take all the way off), just grab the tips and wiggle back and forth to loosen clamp and pull off. Reverse to install but pay attention to make sure they are lined up evenly

Good cleaning

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
That's good advice....thanks! I will take another pass at these tips with a buffer once I get them off.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Dave's911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Recieved my P21S Polishing Soap and finish restorer from Moe this week. Fast delivery as usual, I ordered it Sunday afternoon and it was waiting when I came home from work Tuesday.
Got around to attacking my exhaust tips today. Wow, after using these products they look like new. Very happy, didn't even take long, probably less than 30 minutes to do both sides.
I would post pics, but its raining here in Cali today. I guess you've all seen them before anyway.