Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Porsche Cayenne POLISHING QUESTION

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
mgd102 is infamous around these parts
Porsche Cayenne POLISHING QUESTION

Hello I am new to the forum.

I have a 2008 Porsche Cayenne that I just had a 1 stage polish done about 1 week ago. The car had some decent swirl marks on it from washing and some fine surface scratches but nothing major. Possibly my expectations were too high, but I think a 1 stage polish was not enough for the car. For what I paid and for the nearly 10 hours in labor involved I was expecting a showroom condition finish. I can still see some swirls and fine lines in certain sections.

Basically what I'd like to know from someone with good polishing experience is this: If I want to do a stage 2 polish on the car would I have to go do stage 1 again? Or could i just get the car clayed, polished with a stage 2, and waxed since the first stage was already done last week.

I don't know if this thread makes any sense, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
A 1 step polishing of paint, regardless of how much time was involved, could never be enough to take the paint to 90% corrected. Let's say Meguiar's M205 was used as single step polish followed by sealant or wax, you will still have moderate paint flaws present. To get paint 90-95% corrected, 1st find a reputable detailer and understand the paint will more than likely need to have 3 major polishing steps performed (this is just an example - Meguiar's M105 to Meguiar's M205 to Menzerna PO106FA) followed by a Last Step Process (sealant or wax or both). Hope that helps, I've seen major paint corrections take 16-30 hours of labor. Your 1st step in polishing will be aimed at removing your most serous defects, so yes you'd have to go back to the beginning and remove the worse defects which in turn will create finer defects that will require being polished into even finer defects until as many as possible are eliminated.

What causes swirls: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...s-swirl-marks/
What is single and multiple stages: http://esotericdetail.com/detailing-...tion-services/
24 hour detail: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...dd-cooperider/

Last edited by drsullivan; 04-25-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Hi drsullivan,

I guess that answers my question. Unfortunately for me I feel like I've been duped for almost 500$ for that stage 1 polish and wax which took a whole 9 hours. I'll just try to enjoy the car now for a whole season rather then do it all over again and spend another 800$ or so since it seems like thats what the market wants.

Thanks for the help though,

M

Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Seems like you paid for an improvement, not perfect paint. A full correction on an SUV like that could easily take 25+ hours. This is why its so important for the detailer and customer to discuss the process and lay out exact expectations.

On a side note, if you aren't happy about the detail I would contact him directly instead of making a thread online. Im sure he will see this.

Last edited by Dan1; 04-26-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 AM
I did actually. I think he meant well and I guess the job is alright for what was done but I wish I had been advised on a better course is what I'm saying. I took the link off because I don't want to hurt anybodys business with my experience.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Agreed, seems like there may have been a misunderstanding. This actually gives you an opportunity to learn how to properly wash and maintain the car, if you're doing that yourself. Then next year go for the full correction.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Exactly. You live and learn.