Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

mink oil question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
mink oil question

09 cayman base interior 12k on the car. i never cleaned the seats so they look like they are wearing but i guess i should try to clean it first. is mink oil okay or do i need something else. tanks

Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Take a look at this - it's worth the time and effort: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/

Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Something else I came across:
Mink oil:
On the other hand, mink oil is a valid conditioning oil. “Mink Oil” is a euphemistic name for liquefied pig fat and silicone. Like Lanolin, it’s very greasy and typically unsuitable for leather upholstery. Mink oil is most often used on heavy boots or other hard-working leathers.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by extanker
09 cayman base interior 12k on the car. i never cleaned the seats so they look like they are wearing but i guess i should try to clean it first. is mink oil okay or do i need something else. tanks
Leather Masters. Can get it from Phil @ Detailers Domain.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
The liquefied fat from Mink oil is used mainly in the cosmetics industry (skin care) and is the main ingredient, along with silicone oil used for waterproofing, which negates transpiration (evaporation and hydration), which is necessary for the proper care of leather.
Neat’s-foot oil and Lanolin (Latin: lāna "wool", and oleum, "oil") has some major disadvantages - it softens uncoated leather very easily and can lead to the seating areas sagging, it is also susceptible to microbial attack, and can cause the leather stitching to rot.
Lanolin oil and the urethanes used as either a pigment or protective coating on automobile finished leather upholstery are not compatible as they will corrode the binder system, causing it to fail. When used on coated leather it will only sit on the surface and be transferred to clothing

"Using Oil-based Leather Care Products" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136820-using-oil-based-leather-care-products.html#post1450942
“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136421-proper-finished-leather-cleaning-care.html
“Leather Surface Identification” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136895-leather-upholstery%3B-surface-identification.html#post1451654

Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
many tanks to all

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
feels like wear........i weigh under 200 lbs and wear clean clothes.....i guess off to the dealer

Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Pictures?